Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Can we stop installing add-ons until they are official

Actually the benefit is I get to use the addons in P3Dv2.

You could have titled the thread better. Telling people "don't install this or that" is...bossy?

I also don't see the droves of people complaining that addons aren't working like you're talking about. I see a lot of people complaining about the performance of vanilla P3Dv2 though. Two totally separate things.

I think maybe you should let customers that bought and paid for P3Dv2 use the product how they see fit. If there are loads of threads causing you to make this one telling people what to do, then don't participate in the threads.

Telling people how to act on forums or how to use their products won't do diddly.

You are absolutely correct. It's you life jump off the cliff any time. But, don't complain about performance, CTD's and other errors until a product has been completely tested. Also, don't claim a product is working perfect by one persons observations and without a detailed process of verification.. Read the LM forums, its a total cluster bleep. No wunder beta releases are a mess.

Although this thread could of been titled better, there is most definitely some validity to ask users not to bash P3D on the basis of the performance of 3rd party addons.  It's pretty clear that in the case of scenery addons, there's a lot of new stuff going on - things are going to need to be optimized for P3D. 

It's interesting that no-one displays much negativity when an aircraft add-on isn't 100% compatible; there's no hostility, people simply shrug and accept it, choosing to move from or stick with FSX because their plane(s) of choice are or aren't available.  But I think because P3D looks like FSX, they get quite upset when they can't throw all their scenery enhancements (some of which only play nice together by drawing upon years of trial and error experience by developers) in and get better than FSX performance out of the box.

I do agree that this isn't fair.  Not to LM, who are actually trying hard to support their new release (if you haven't read the list of stuff being worked on for 2.1, go read it), nor to the 3rd party developers.

So everyone, take a breath - imagine you're switching platforms altogether.  Then when you try and install your FSX stuff in, perhaps you'll be that much more equipped to be both very excited when something does work, and not be so disappointed when it doesn't.

My only exception is going to be for developers who are claiming full P3D compatibility because they only change an installer to point to P3Dv2.  Installable does not mean fully compatible.  If I buy an add-on where it's claimed to be P3Dv2 compatible, and if I buy it because it's compatible, then yes, I'm going to be rightfully upset when it proves that it's not 100% the case.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

For once I have to agree with Dillon. Mark that down. :) Prime example is the Majestic Q400. Claim were made it works great. I was having all kinds of CTD's when opening windows, changing liveries. So I check the Majestic forum. Yep, so much for that, all kinds of CTD's. Majestic confirmed it and has an update coming out for P3DV2. Another example is the AS Airbus EX and Twotter. Same thing and their still trying to get it correct. Ive got in the habit of checking the addon people website and asking.

You are absolutely correct. It's you life jump off the cliff any time. But, don't complain about performance, CTD's and other errors until a product has been completely tested. Also, don't claim a product is working perfect by one persons observations and without a detailed process of verification.. Read the LM forums, its a total cluster bleep. No wunder beta releases are a mess.

But who made those claims that all was great with certain addons only for you to find out that that wasn't the full story?  It certainly wasn't the skeptics, or the people arguing for transparency, or the ones who tried to push back against some of the hype in favor of a more sober assesment (in these last 10 or 11 days since release).  I see why you are agreeing with Dillon, but if you stop to think about it for a sec, I'm not sure you are not actually that far off from Styckx either, who is arguing for people to cool it down a little as far as the promotional stuff is concerned.

I was a little defensive at criticism the first few days.. It was new and there was definitely a few getting a little overly assuming when not a single person really knew anything yet.. We're over a week in now though and the painting is pretty well drawn and the people who contributed to that painting are a vast group of simmers.

You can't hide the facts, and you can't magically make the problems go away just to impress some pipe dream group of 'anti-P3D' critics.. The idea that there is some sort of illuminati group of FSX'ers and X-Plane users with some secret agenda to ruin P3D is ludicrous. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

But who made those claims that all was great with certain addons only for you to find out that that wasn't the full story?  It certainly wasn't the skeptics, or the people arguing for transparency, or the ones who tried to push back against some of the hype in favor of a more sober assesment (in these last 10 or 11 days since release).  I see why you are agreeing with Dillon, but I don't think you aren't actually that far off from Styckx either, who is arguing for people to cool it down a little as far as the promotional stuff is concerned.

J van E posts a thread he's "Back in Hell" and people jump on that like a fly on Sh^T...

A guy with a three monitor setup shows 17 frames per second and you use that as an example even though the OP clarified what was going on.

Next transparency is fine we now know FSX add-on's don't just work, they have to be compatible.  You have your transparency there.

Bottom line is vanilla P3D v2 performs pretty good for most.  Install some Carenado planes in the sim and your fine.  Most other stuff needs compatibility work.

All I'm 'asking' people to do is stop complaining if their going to put themselves out there by hack installing add-ons into P3D v2 and using old FSX tweaks that no longer apply then wondering why their 'BACK IN HELL' (sorry J van E but the title to your post applies here, not singling you out)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

A thread complaining about complainers.

It's never really worked...why would it now?

I was a little defensive at criticism the first few days.. It was new and there was definitely a few getting a little overly assuming when not a single person really knew anything yet.. We're over a week in now though and the painting is pretty well drawn and the people who contributed to that painting are a vast group of simmers.

You can't hide the facts, and you can't magically make the problems go away just to impress some pipe dream group of 'anti-P3D' critics.. The idea that there is some sort of illuminati group of FSX'ers and X-Plane users with some secret agenda to ruin P3D is ludicrous. 

We all knew there would be growing pains from day one, what new software doesn't have issues initially.  I don't know about you but some were pushing back on the idea of embracing something new.  I said this before that I understand their position because after years of the hard work and patience to get FSX to a stable condition on their machines something like this isn't exactly good news for some.  Their in the position FS9 users were in for the last seven years if this is a success in the coming months. As far as the 'FSX Illuminati', I'll pass on commenting....  :ph34r:

A thread complaining about complainers.

It's never really worked...why would it now?

With the way things were sounding around here I began to wonder if people didn't realize the obvious.  It's not the sim so much as one wants to max out all the settings and use incompatible add-ons.  When that doesn't work the sim is trash.  I just thought I'd put a little food for thought out there...

FS2020 

It's pretty understandable when people put so much money into addons, but I do agree that we should be reasonable with our expectations. 

A guy with a three monitor setup shows 17 frames per second and you use that as an example even though the OP clarified what was going on.

I realize that when you used the word "you" you weren't probably talking about "me" in particular, but just for the record, I didn't give a fluff about his 18fps, or make any judgements about P3Dv2 based on his one screenshot, whatsoever.  

Well, I basically agree with following; bashing whole P3d v2 project (yeah, I think it's more like a project right now rather than a complete product) for compatibility issues of legacy FsX stuff is a bad attitude.

However, it's important that people try and see what's working and what's not, or making effort to make them work. Most of the time these complaints convince developers to update their products. I don't think PMDG would've decided so soon to make their products P3d compatible, if there weren't unhappy customers complaining and whining about it.

Don't post anywhere often but I just flew KIAD flight beam to Kmco Taxi 2 with 85% ut2 commercial 10 general with active sky 12 and ftx global, on ground ave 30 fps in air locked at 60 ave 59  flying default 737-800 united repaint with the 787-8 upgrade panel. pc is a self built 2600k at 4.7 with 16 gb g skill ram evga 770gtx 4gb on a sabertooth p 67 this sim is very smooth and quirky in a good way like it almost learns from your last flight. just an impression. B the way using GEX and lax v2 and kjk v2 from FS Dreamteam and in their config my affinity mask was set at 255 by their program not me (I had at 15 prior to loading sceneries in sim). so some add ons do work when they are ready.

thanks

gregg

I realize that when you used the word "you" you weren't probably talking about "me" in particular, but just for the record, I didn't give a fluff about his 18fps, or make any judgements about P3Dv2 based on his one screenshot, whatsoever.  

Let's squash this back and forth.  I actually agree with your position on holding off and being practical.  We can agree to disagree on certain positions but gearing up to attack everytime we see each others names come up in threads is crazy.  We're both simmers who love this hobby, let's move on.  :friends:

FS2020 

Let's squash this back and forth.  I actually agree with your position on holding off and being practical.  We can agree to disagree on certain positions but gearing up to attack everytime we see each others names come up in threads is crazy.  We're both simmers who love this hobby, let's move on.

I agree.  Don't worry, I haven't been attacking you every time your name comes up, nor you me.  In fact I noticed that you even agreed with one of my posts, and I already took that as a gesture of goodwill. 

That other gentleman however....grrrrrrr...we're mortal enemies to the bitter end I'm afraid. :lol:

I don't think PMDG would've decided so soon to make their products P3d compatible, if there weren't unhappy customers complaining and whining about it.

PMDG actually took a stand and banned people from talking about P3D v2, they stated flat out they weren't going to support it.  I believe when they saw what a nice platform it was and what they could potentially do with it they changed their minds.  

I agree.  Don't worry, I haven't been attacking you every time your name comes up, nor you me.  In fact I noticed that you even agreed with one of my posts, and I already took that as a gesture of goodwill. 

That other gentleman however....grrrrrrr...we're mortal enemies to the bitter end I'm afraid. :lol:

Great to hear.... 

Oh god.. Is this another "not helping the cause" statement where people should not be transparent about when P3D isn't displaying Unicorns with rainbows flying out of their bum at 1000000FPS? 

I'm sending a goodwill shout out to you as well...  :Peace:

FS2020 

Asking simmers not to complain is like asking simmers not to breath!  I think it's bred in them or should I say in-bred! :lol:

All I can say is filter though all the noise out there and make your own decision.  I'd knock down Prepar3D too but when I am having such a good experience and fun with v2 it takes all the fun out of complaining. 

P3D FSnext

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit