Sign in to follow this  
eminyilmaz

Default flight starts at middle of nowhere

Hi Folks! I am back to my P3d 1.4 but still trying to get v2 work. I've a very strange problem, perhaps you can help me. I've asked this to LM forum but they had no idea.

I can't use start-up screen because it's causing ctds. So, I've decided to fly without start-up screen like v1.4, but when I load default flight my plane starts at middle of ocean and it splashes after that of course. I checked location from map, it's longtitude 0, latitude 0 location (somewhere in East Atlantic).

Now, before you start your suggestions, let me clarify, first, I don't have anything installed other than v2. No addon, mesh, aircraft etc. It's vanilla v2. Second, I've downloaded v2 5 times, installed-reinstalled maybe 10 times at 2 different PCs, just in case first downloads were corrupted. Nothing changed. Third, I've tried V2 after a complete system reset (clean install of Windows), just in case if it's somehow conflicting with my v1.4 installation, it was same result. All my hardware drivers are up to date, I am using windows 8.1, I've installed and running program as admin. I've dropped uiautomationcore.dll to root folder, didn't work.

Other than above, I've also tried to save a new default. I am pausing sim before plane splashes and changing airport, this is OK. Then, I am saving this new airport as a default flight and closing sim. It'll start at middle of ocean again. No matter how much I change to something else, once I save it, next time it'll start at middle of ocean again. I've tried deleting prepar3d.cfg, caches, none of it works.

This the weirdest thing every happened to me in flight simming? How could even this be possible?

(please check my signature for system detail. Thanks)

Try pausing the sim before you smack the water. If you can't, find a seaplane or one with floats.

Go to your settings and in the "General" tab check "Show Scenario Startup Screen"

P3D will then load with a startup screen.

Rodney E. Jacobs

I'm wondering about whether Windows 8 is causing some issues.

Thanks for replies guys.

Spirit, Yes I overwrited default flight, but as I said it goes back to water when I load it next time.

Rodney, I can pause sim if I act quickly and go to menu, it's fine. But, I can't use "Show Scenario Startup Screen" option because starting with this gives me ntdll.dll crash. I couldn't solve that problem either, but simply I want to ignore it for the time being. However, I haven't tried changing plane yet. Something with float can save me from splash, good idea!

Kelvin, I don't know if Windows 8 is causing this problem. Very weird stuff. I wish I had Win 7 to figure it out.

I had the same issue after hitting the slew(Y) function and hell started even in FSX just afterwards as well.

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I had a similar problem upon my initial install, whereupon P3Dv2 would CTD and try to restart the moment I opened up a menu item.

I then copied the file uiautomationcore.dll from my FSX folder into the main P3Dv2 folder followed by a reboot. This cured my problem and allowed me to access the start screen to set up a new default flight. This fix applies to some configurations of Windows 7 64 Bit and I wonder if it has carried over to Win8?

Give it a go. It can't hurt. 

A quick edit now that I recall more. I had that file in my root FSX folder, because I had a problem with my install of that simulator as well. If you have not had this problem with FSX or do not have that file you need to copy the 32bit version of uiautomationcore.dll from the C:\Windows\System32 path, into the root install directory of P3D2,

Edited by ANZ121
  • Upvote 1

I'm wondering about whether Windows 8 is causing some issues.

I actually after a long debate with myself reverted from Windows 8.1 back to 7..  Too much compatibility issues and the slow adaption of it. Shame because it's a great OS but the underlying changes and even the way DX11.2 is distributed is causing headaches.  (outside of the flight sim world) 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I actually after a long debate with myself reverted from Windows 8.1 back to 7..  Too much compatibility issues and the slow adaption of it. Shame because it's a great OS but the underlying changes and even the way DX11.2 is distributed is causing headaches.  (outside of the flight sim world) 

I agree, but I only use Windows 8.1 for work. Officially, you'll see LM doesn't recommend Windows 8 at this point, it even notes this in the hardware/software requirements and recommendations.

I have the same problem as the topic starter, but I use Windows 7.

The only thing that works is setting a tutorial mission as the default flight.

If I try to set something else as the default flight, I am in the middle of nowhere again, followed by the plane splashing.

And if I start from a tutorial mission and change the scenario, I am always stuck on that mission. That means for example instant replay is not available (because I'm on a mission).

Is there any solution, so I can start a "free flight"?

I've also been having this strange problem ever since I started using P3D V2. Scenarios was completely broken, flights were starting in the middle of nowhere, and P3D crashes on startup when selecting to have the Scenario Startup Screen show on startup.

I've finally found a fix. The trick was changing the system locale: Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative -> Change System Locale

I live in Hong Kong, and with the system locale set to Hong Kong, China by default, the P3D situation files inside My Documents were showing random Chinese characters when I opened them using notepad. Ever since changing the locale to an English speaking location, the files no longer show weird Chinese characters in notepad.

Everything now works correctly. No more crashes and unexpected behavior when loading scenarios, and flights start correctly with the selected scenario.

I've also been having this strange problem ever since I started using P3D V2. Scenarios was completely broken, flights were starting in the middle of nowhere, and P3D crashes on startup when selecting to have the Scenario Startup Screen show on startup.

I've finally found a fix. The trick was changing the system locale: Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative -> Change System Locale

I live in Hong Kong, and with the system locale set to Hong Kong, China by default, the P3D situation files inside My Documents were showing random Chinese characters when I opened them using notepad. Ever since changing the locale to an English speaking location, the files no longer show weird Chinese characters in notepad.

Everything now works correctly. No more crashes and unexpected behavior when loading scenarios, and flights start correctly with the selected scenario.

I would be that this is the same reason that I'm getting this problem as well! At first I thought it was a bad license/pirating check that Lockeed Martin was doing, so that they know that those complaining about this in support forums have a license issue (This is something game developers are increasingly doing as well.)

Thankfully from you account it just might be a region thing. I live in Japan, and the PCs I had the problem on are all set to the Japan region. The PC Prepar3D started the flight at Norfolk was set to the US.

I bought an SSD and reinstalled Windows 8.1 on that PC and I know I had to set the region to Japan for keyboard support. I was confused when I stated over the water, just like what happened on my work and laptop. I'm going to uninstall, change the region, and reinstall Prepar3D. I hope that was just it.