Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

A Few Benchmarks for GPU Upgrade and Limited/Unlimited Frames

I thought I would post some interesting benchmarks.  I decided to upgrade my GTX 760 to a 780.  The 760 is a good card, but I wanted to see what the 780 could do. (For those who don't know, the 760 is roughly equivalent to the 670, so roughly 40%-50% less powerful than the 780 in gaming benchmarks)  

I ran some benchmarks with FRAPS.  With 4x MSAA and 4X SGSS, I flew a circuit around Langley with FTX Global installed.  Sliders were set to medium high.  LOD was high.  Shadows were set to medium with cast/receive on for plane, buildings, and terrain.  Weather was partly cloudy.

With the 760 and frames limited to 33:

Avg 24

Min 20

Max 28

With the 760 and frames set to unlimited:

Avg 23

Min 20

Max 28

With the 780 and frames set to 33:

Avg 31

Min 24

Max 33

With the 780 and frames set to unlimited:

Avg 40

Min 29

Max 43

It seems that P3D scales nicely in line with the specs for the GPU. It also appears that setting the frames to unlimited is worthwhile for the 780 but not the 760 (probably because the slider settings were too high to meet even the 33 target for the 760).  In short, P3D makes nice use of the GPU's power, which is a welcome change from FSX. In addition to having active development from LM, we can look forward to increased performance in the future as GPU technology continues to advance.

What about textures blurries?

I have GTX 560Ti and I'm considering to buy 780 (Asus probably). I didn't buy FTX Global yet because:

-fresh P3D installation - textures are sharp even with 1.5 Ma speed

-Iceland demo installed - ground textures load too slow, many blurries, worse than FSX - EVEN OUTSIDE ICELAND!

-demo uninstalled - all back to normal

try to add affinitymask = 14 to the cfg file. That completely fixed my blurry texture problem. I too have FTXG + Iceland installed.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Question for you guys; it seems to me if you want better fps with v2 than a video card upgrade is a must and not so much the CPU, am I correct?  I'm currently running v1.4 and v2 on my i7-2600k with a gtx680, on v1.4 I get amazing fps but in v2 I take a hit with the clouds. Will I see a difference if I just upgrade just my video card to say the 780 or do I need to upgrade my entire system?

I think you only need a faster GPU like 780. I'm still using i5-2500k which runs great at 4.9GHz overclocked, can't see a reason to upgrade it at all, unless I want to go SLI in the future then I have to buy a new SLI motherboard which unfortunately will mandate a new CPU. I upgraded from 580 to 780ti and it helps a lot if you want those new features like shadows etc.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

To some extent I think it comes down to where you are flying and in what aircraft. I can get over 50+ fps in some areas with everything cranked up, but slow down to 25 or so in areas where dense cities are present. The choice of plane matters too. The A36 that a lot of people like as the default is not one of the best planes in frame rate terms.

But blueshark747 also makes a good point. Turning of the frame counter is often a good thing, because it allows you to just enjoy yourself rather than testing and fretting all the time!

Im all about flying low and enjoying scenery was never interested in addon aircraft Im satisfied with default ones for now.

Now I can put some nice music on and fly around with great FPS and no stutters and take screenshots of scenery and not worry about anything else..thats what its all about for me.

P3dv2 is such a breath of fresh air

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

No blurries at all. I should add to the benchmarks above that they were with vsync and triple buffering. Triple buffering really helps with smoothness, as it adds a 3 frame buffer that the GPU can call on. I didn't notice any stutters in my test flights.

I've read probably every review written about Nvidia cards, so I can save you some work. A 780 superclocked model equals or surpasses the Titan for gaming at a nice cost savings. You do, however, give up 3 GB of VRAM, so the Titan would be a better choice for multi monitor at high resolutions (or if you want to mine Bitcoins!) The 780ti is the best choice of all if you have some cash, but it, too, is limited to 3 GB VRAM like the 780 (there were rumors that EVGA is planning to release a 6GB version, but they have denied it).

The 770 is an intriguing choice. You lose about 20 percent performance compared to the 780, but save $100 and get an extra 1 GB VRAM. I chose the 780 in my case because I am running only one monitor and, so far, have not seen VRAM usage over 2 GB.

I highly recommend the 770, 780 or 780ti, but they are not a must by any means. P3D scales nicely, and if you're willing to lower slider settings, you can get good performance with just about any DX11 card. Like most modern games, the CPU is secondary. No reason to waste time and energy on extreme overclocks.

Thanks again Mark.  No way I can afford a 780 or 770, so my next logical choice is the 760.  The only thing I am curious about is how p3d would benefit from the 760 as opposed to the 660.  The price difference is only $50 however

Orman

Thanks again Mark. No way I can afford a 780 or 770, so my next logical choice is the 760. The only thing I am curious about is how p3d would benefit from the 760 as opposed to the 660. The price difference is only $50 however

760 is much better than the 660. A 760 is more like the 660ti. It's not a bad card at all. You can run at mid to mid-high sliders with good frame rates.