Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

Meaningless Topic Titles Bother anyone other than me?

Does it bother anyone else when topic tiles are completely meaningless?

I can't help but feel I may be missing good information because I just don't feel like reading topics with meaningless topic titles.

And worse yet is when I see the same topic weeks later and because the title is so vague I stupidly read it again....

I agree that some topic titles that are less meaningful and informative than others, and some seem to be the creation of newspaper teaser headline writers. That said, I've picked up a lot of interesting info from topics I may not have opened if they had been described accurately !

Ok, I must agree.  I prefer to see topic titles that give information about what is within the initial post. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yes, but it can't be fixed.  Tom could create instructions, a notiification, or large red/yellow flashing text at log on, but sadly few would actually read it. Some would write new posts titles "What is THIS?" to inquire that the messages were all about...  LOL

I avoid all posts non-descriptive titled posts, groupie posts, and "where is your XXX right now" type stuff. I do not contest anyone's right to post what they wish, but those types of posts are just not for me.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

It does bug me. Titles like "FSX Question" are useless.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

It does bug me. Titles like "FSX Question" are useless.

On the one hand that's true, but on the other hand those are the best possible titles IMO: You have no clue what the actuall problem is, but you really want to know what the topic is all about :P ! I like those, because it's always a surprise, you simply don't know what to expect.

The worst one is 'HELP MEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

My reaction is always 'No, you are beyond help.'

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I like those

Okay fine... just for you then, I wrote a new post "Guess what?".  Enjoy!   :P

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

To me it's a reflection of the way the user's mind operates. When I see this it reminds me of "...nothing happening here, move on...." a waste of time. 

Okay fine... just for you then, I wrote a new post "Guess what?".  Enjoy!   :P

Got a link to that one, please? :P

I'm curious already! :lol:

Prior to the last forum 'fix', you could mouse over the title and get a popup with the first line or so of the post, so you had an idea what it was about.

Since the fix that popup now just repeats the title so it's basicly useless, I wish they would bring back that feature.

Jay

The worst one is 'HELP MEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

My reaction is always 'No, you are beyond help.'

Or "My FSX doesn't work!".

My reaction: "My crystal ball says: 'Sucks to be you.' *Closes tab*"

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I would like to see the "Latest Forum Topics" set up with Sim types like FSX, Xplane, P3D. It gets a bit tiring to see not only silly titles but then if you do click on them you end up in some xplane forum or other that you have no need or use for.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

LOL this thread is about NOTHING, A thread that gets angry about nothing titles errrm.. such as this one  :rolleyes:

ZORAN

LOL this thread is about NOTHING, A thread that gets angry about nothing titles errrm.. such as this one  :rolleyes:

Not really, this thread at least has a title that gives a clue as to it's contents. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.