Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

Meaningless Topic Titles Bother anyone other than me?

Does it bother anyone else when topic tiles are completely meaningless?

I can't help but feel I may be missing good information because I just don't feel like reading topics with meaningless topic titles.

And worse yet is when I see the same topic weeks later and because the title is so vague I stupidly read it again....

Indeed. There's a recent thread (posted in triplicate no less) under the FSX forum titled "Request."

Good stuff.

The easy solution is to ignore them. They will eventually get the hint and you won't get upset. Merry Christmas!  :Peace:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

When originally posting there did not seem any appropriate place to post..  The first line in Hangar Chat was indicative of a requirement to post aviation related topics so I mistakenly disreguarded the rest of the decription... MyBad !!!

Prior to the last forum 'fix', you could mouse over the title and get a popup with the first line or so of the post, so you had an idea what it was about.

It's there still, just moved off to the right end of the thread title. Click on the little icon to open the first few lines of the OP, the newest unread reply, and the last reply. If the contents don't interest me, I just click on the "Mark this read" link.

As a moderator, I use this frequently to check every thread briefly to make sure there's nothing on fire that needs attention... :LMAO:

Oh yes, meaningless topic titles really bother me too! :t0104:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They should be flogged,then banned.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I don't know if I could say they bother me.

But I do know that I never reply to any of those posts.

If someone can't be bothered writing a simple heading then I am not going to bother wasting time replying to them.

I know what does bother me though, posts like this:

"I've just downloaded a plane and the engines won't start. HELP!!!!".

See if you can find the problem with the above question. Special thumbs ups for all those who get it right :) .

www.antsairplanes.com

See if you can find the problem with the above question. Special thumbs ups for all those who get it right :) .

I see multiple problems.

What file?

What flavor of FSX? (some planes require Acceleration)

User experience level?

Language issues?

Age?

Had a few?

I could probably add a bit more, but perhaps I have made a point. The ability to convey ones thoughts well in writing in a forum read world-wide is not something that everyone is blessed with, and frankly the root issue with the OP will never go away. Is it frustrating? Perhaps, but only if you allow it to be.

I agree non-descriptive thread titles are useless but the ones that really irritate me are those that include "URGENT!!" or "IMMEDIATELY!" which of course are words that don't apply to flight simulation and should be reserved only for auto accidents, earthquakes, fires, terrorist attacks, tsunamis, or beer deficiencies. :smile:

What is this? A thread takes 5-10 seconds tops to get the gist of.. If it sucks, who cares? How can something that takes so little time in your life to see annoy you? Back button, next thread.. Life goes on.. You're reading an entertainment forum, not doing your taxes.. Lighten up Francis 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I see no problem, as long as the addon in question in specified in the thread itself. I don't believe it's necessary to give every little detail about a problem in the title. After all, reading the thread itself is much more convenient that reading through a monstrous title that has been created just to give a satisfactory amount of data. I for one would rather start reading through a thread named "Engines on recently downloaded addon plane don't start" than "Downloaded addon XYZ, engins don't start in FSX ACC on my super-hyper computer" -_-. And even the thread is lacking a possibly essential piece of information, we ca still ask for that.

Of course I understand that many of us appreciate short and to-the-point titles, but it's sometimes quite hard to find a good and short phrase to describe the problem - at least for me, whose native language isn't English (so perhaps this is a language problem of some kind?). And as someone else has stated already - you're free to ignore such topics, there are still plenty of others who are curious enough to at least start reading a thread with a "meaningless" title, and someone will most likely be able o help with the actual problem.

I don't think this topic is funny in a humorous sense, it's funny in the sense that it falls into the same category as the topics that it decries. Why don't people think about writing topic headings the way I think they should be written vs I write subjects headings the way I think they should be written. In both instances, the same failure of reason occurs, projection. The person starting the topic writes the heading in their preferred style, believing that if it makes sense in their mind, it will make sense in other people's minds, which clearly is not the case. Being annoyed at a different style of heading is not all that different, since, the persons here being annoyed by meaningless titles are not actually demonstrating that the titles are meaningless, they are merely demonstrating that the titles they describe as meaningless differ from their preferred style of writing a subject heading. Again, projection. Your style is the right style, other styles are 'meaningless'. Such subjective reasoning is not exactly superior to what is being described as annoying. But then, it is hardly surprising, considering that from a psychological perspective, people are very lenient on themselves when they do something wrong (eg speeding, lying or tax evasion) when if someone else were to do that same thing, they would come down very hard on them. That is human nature

Or what about ignoring a subject heading because it doesn't tick all of your boxes, and so is dismissed as the work of a lazy mind. That is an interesting failure of reason in itself, Help meeeeee!!! might just as well be a sign of a frustrated mind as a lazy one, but again, since it is someone else who might be frustrated and not us, we come down hard on that person simply because, well, when other people do wrong what we do wrong, they are way worse than we are. They are lazy, we are frustrated. Is it really meaningless to ask for help in a forum where people help each other? It's not like the guy is asking for help to change the tire on his bicycle (presumably).

As for the term meaningless itself, from a philosophical point of view, meaningless is never going to be defined as something that differs from how the person making the judgment would have liked it to be, i.e. it's meaningless because my style is meaningful. To you, yes. But theirs made sense to them. That is called preference.

It might be worthwhile to reflect on the fact that those who write meaningless topic headings are as imperfect as those who deem them meaningless, and that the time spent in annoyance at such things might actually be much better spent, perhaps by reading What Intelligence Tests Miss by Professor Keith Stanovich or a slightly lighter version Irrationality by Stuart Sutherland. After all, if the severity of a judge's sentence can be influenced by something as trivial as whether he/she had had lunch prior to sentencing, the 99% + of us who are not in the 140 IQ range might also be forgiven for acting irrationally. Or we can just accept that irrational behavior is not a function of lesser minds, give people a break when they do something differently, and remember the words of the LSE Scholar, John Gray: Humans are an incorrigibly flawed species.

PS I am not unaware of the fact that writing the above is pointless, because Prof Stanovich will remind me that it will not change human nature.

Have a nice day ... I sure had an awful one.

Just ignore them!

....anything to moan about. Intolerance is what I see a lot of, more than pointless titles.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I see no problem, as long as the addon in question in specified in the thread itself. I don't believe it's necessary to give every little detail about a problem in the title. After all, reading the thread itself is much more convenient that reading through a monstrous title that has been created just to give a satisfactory amount of data. I for one would rather start reading through a thread named "Engines on recently downloaded addon plane don't start" than "Downloaded addon XYZ, engins don't start in FSX ACC on my super-hyper computer" -_-. And even the thread is lacking a possibly essential piece of information, we ca still ask for that.

Of course I understand that many of us appreciate short and to-the-point titles, but it's sometimes quite hard to find a good and short phrase to describe the problem - at least for me, whose native language isn't English (so perhaps this is a language problem of some kind?). And as someone else has stated already - you're free to ignore such topics, there are still plenty of others who are curious enough to at least start reading a thread with a "meaningless" title, and someone will most likely be able o help with the actual problem.

My point was that sometimes that is the whole post (not just the title). So, the first question inevitably is "what download is it?"

www.antsairplanes.com