Sign in to follow this  
FreeBird(Josh)

Dawn and Dusk settings

Does anybody have a way of adjusting the timing of the Dawn and dusk settings in FSX. I know the timing changes with seasons but is there a way to adjust them manually. Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

How do you mean Josh? Sunrise and sunset happens like it does in real life at that location and time. Do you mean how early and late the sky brightens and darkens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

How do you mean Josh? Sunrise and sunset happens like it does in real life at that location and time. Do you mean how early and late the sky brightens and darkens?

Yes I mean how early and late. In the winter it turns to dusk at 330 pm which to me is abet early. I was at Bowerman this mourning at 8 am and the sun was barley up. I look outside here and it is bright and sunny. This is what it looks like. I do have my monitor adjusted correctly. 2013-12-5_11-41-40-682_zps8f054ebe.jpg Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

Hi Josh,

I don't know where Bowerman is, but I agree that you seem to be about an hour off!

Do you have the default time zone files in FSX? They are only accurate in the contiguous US.

Look for a program called "FSRealTime". It installs corrected time zone scenery files (you don't have to use FSRealTime if you don't want to). Once those files are installed, it will fix a large portion of what is wrong with the default time zone file.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Take a look at post #13 in this thread:  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/380892-fsx-gets-dark-too-quickly/?hl=sunset#entry2430201

There are two entries in fsx.cfg under [Graphics] - Day_Threshold and Night_Threshold along with some recommended values that might help you. You'll probably have to play some with the values to find something to your liking.

I think if you look at actual sunrise (when "top" (upper limb) of sun is just visible over horizon (helps to be near the ocean or other unobstructed horizon) and note the UTC, then check online for the actual time of sunrise you will find it is spot on.  Not sure about "Bowerman" but maybe this is KHQM?  I did take a look and according to the Naval Observatory http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php sunset (used that because KHQM has a clear view to the west) for today is 0027 UTC (1627 local).  So I set that up in the sim and this is what I see:

post-102740-0-12522900-1386316542.jpg

The azimuth appears to be about 218M but I didn't check that.

I'm not sure though that FSX does a good job of showing how bright it is at twilight.  I keep thinking about playing with the threshold settings in fsx.cfg to see how that affects things but never got around to it.

scott s.