Sign in to follow this  
voodoo101

Why can AVSIM not be a troll free zone

It is a shame that the AVSIM forums have turned into such a site for trolls. It used to be a place where people shared problems and found solutions, where people could chat about flying and simming, however in recent times it has become a place where bored people just sit and troll as many sections as possible.

Simple questions cannot be asked without "read the manual" and "search". Sometime the search does not find the specific question, sometimes the information in the manual is too hard to understand for the beginner (remember that not all the people on the forum have been simming for years, some are newbies).

Then you have the people who just want to argue, you ask a simple question and instead of getting and answer, they give you information that they know nothing about. Quite often the post turns into a slanging match where the troll will keep it going just for fun. Many a good post is lost as the arguments continue.

There are quite a few members on here that I would ban if I was a moderator because I can see how they are bringing these forums down. 

In my opinion, the new way of rating comments has just made it worse as they all jump on the bandwagon.

Is a troll free zone even possible on the Internet? I believe not because we are dealing with humans and human nature.

I have noticed that since the release of P3D the increase in "how great thou are X-Plane" seems to be growing on a daily basis. Amazing how much its performance, visuals, and on and on have improved over the last 5 or 6 days while the program has just been sitting there on people's hard drives. No slam to X-Plane guys. We all are guilty of defending our own Fav's when it comes to flight sims. Just sort of fun to watch.

Is a troll free zone even possible on the Internet? I believe not because we are dealing with humans and human nature.

AVSIM without Trolls would be like Mexican Food with no spice.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well, the new ratings system is making things worse. Don't know who had the bright idea, but hopefully they will just please scrap the damn thing. The old system was anonymous, this one isn't. Now if you rate someone in a certain way and it's not approved of by someone else, it becomes a personal manhunt. No sir, didn't like it... No rating system would be better than this. The old one wasn't broken IMHO.

Still better then airliners.net = arm chair experts.

This forum is still pretty good.  I am on other forums ie trains and you should hear some of the foamers over there.  This is a big forum, and with so many members some get off by trolling others.

Craig, is this because of your post back in the PMDG genral forums? Not reading the stickies? Or did Kyle rile you up? Either way, no was was trolling on that thread. In general, true trolls don't come by here much.

At least most AVSIM forum sections don't have intentional trolls.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Craig, is this because of your post back in the PMDG genral forums? Not reading the stickies? Or did Kyle rile you up? Either way, no was was trolling on that thread. In general, true trolls don't come by here much.

At least most AVSIM forum sections don't have intentional trolls.

Nothing to do with a particular post and as to Kyle, I don't get wound up in arguments, it was just a general observation. I have seen it on a few sections of the forums and lots of post by lots of people. It seems like somebody posts a question and gets slated. I must admit that it does seem that the PMDG forum is a bit worse. There are a lot of PMDG fans that jump to the defence of PMDG no matter what, somebody enquired as to an update on and update and next thing you know it about 5 pages long with people putting him down, heaven forbid he asked a question.

I do understand that people have there favourites and they like to point out the benefits of one or the other, it give people a chance to make an informed decision, a ration discussion never hurt anyone, it just seems that some people like to change there point dependant on what the question is, just to make it into an argument and then start slagging off the opp or anyone who disagree's for no reason.

Over the years I have followed AVSIM and have been simming for many years, when 2D cockpits where made out of lines and an outside view was a grid. AVSIM used to be a place for discussion and sharing, a place where you used to get help for problems and information on new products. Now it seems a place where people want to stir up arguments, many times without problems being solved and questions being answered. It's getting more like the comments on Youtube every day, on there people put up videos to help and get stupid comments saying how they did something slightly incorrect. The fact that you have to sign in makes no difference and adding a "dumb" button makes it worse. Maybe it is because FSX is easier to run now, when it would not run right and everybody had problems it was like a bond. Maybe it is because high quality aircraft like the NGX has brought FSX back into the mainstream and brought with it a new type of simmer, who has never been through the rough times and expects everything on a plate.

I think it may be time to do like many others have done and find another forum, where people respect the hobby that we all share and have mutual respect for other members.

I honestly don't think AVSIM is filled with trolls.

It's one of the least troll-ridden forums that I visit   - the only forum I visit that has less trolls in it is a Buddhist community, so that's pretty good going for AVSIM! :lol:

A lot of what you describe Craig, is just disagreement and discussion, perhaps some hot air, but it's not really trolling.    As he has come up in this discussion, I'll say that I don't like Kyle's posting manner too much (he probably doesn't like mine, that's fair enough!), but I'd never ever consider him a troll.          

(BTW, I know you weren't calling Kyle a troll either, I'm just using that as an example for how just because someone's "style", personality, or ego may not suit us individually, it doesn't mean that they are a troll, or even that you are right and they are wrong).

A troll is someone who has no purpose or agenda other than to disrupt an internet community and to bring the like-minded discussion into chaos and conflict.

Very few people in this community fit that description ......... and if they do come here, they won't last long as Tom will fish 'em out and cast 'em into his pond, as food for his cats   :wink:

The AVSIM membership often like to beat themselves up; to reflect on the bad things, but if you look at the full picture, this is a strikingly positive community.   :cool:

Amen!