Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FSDreamteam KJFK - why so dark?

I have posted about this in the FSDT forum, but no replies from their support or others thus far. I posted a similar question re. the Cloud9 KLAX (which I also bought this weekend, along with KDCA and the FSDT KORD) and I did get a reply, which basically said that that was why the Cloud9 scenery was cheaper than the FSDT one (which didn't address the question really, to be honest). In any case, maybe someone here (I guess a lot more people come to these forums than FSDT) who has bought the scenery may have some input.

Sticking to KJFK, although I like the detail, the whole scenery is SO dark, with black taxiways and dark aprons. In the daytime that's OK, but I flew in at night yesterday and could see virtually nothing, a few vague yellow taxi lines aprt -WITH landing lights on (PMDG737): turn taxi lights off and it's impossible to see where you are going at all. The topic over at FSDT is here (not my thread - they never answered the OP. Is FSDT known for its lack of enthusiasm when it comes to support? The only other scenery I have of theirs is EHAM and they were not all that forthcoming with help there I recall):

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,1540.msg75560.html#msg75560

So, to get to the point: do others feel the same about the FSDT KJFK scenery? I can't see how it could be just me that has this problem (I don't have REX set to pitch dark night or whatever!). I wonder whether to try editing the bitmaps to lighten them up a bit (which ones???).. As it is, I am not going to use this scenery for flying between dusk and dawn, which seems a pity. It's so frustrating to taxi off the runway and finally find yourself off in the grass somewhere!

Thanks,

Martin

Apparently not the best place to ask about FSDT! But to answer my question, the FSDT/Cloud9 airports are so dark because the ***_LM.bmp files in the texture folder are all pretty much plain black when you open them in Photoshop. Well, perhaps a small exaggeration, but, having backed up the originals and then spent an afternoon doctoring the relevant bitmaps, KJFK at least looks a whole lot better!

Looks like you're standing here beside yourself!

Wow, that is a huge improvement.  Any chance you might share that tweak?

System: P3D v5.3HF2 , Intel i9-9900K o/c to 5.1Ghz, Nvidia ASUSGeForce RTX RTX 3090 24GB,  MPG Z390 Gamng Edge mobo, 64Gb G.Skill DDR4 3600Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit

I am not sure that I would be allowed to, for copyright reasons. If FSDT were OK with it, I'd be very happy to upload the files to AVSIM library. Why not post on FSDT and ask - hope you understand!

I also managed to improve the dark apron areas, but it's tricky: if you brighten them too much the pools of light under the lightpoles looks silly. So I discarded the files: may have another go. Not much I could do with the taxiways, as if you lighten anything that is really dark, you get rainbow-coloured artefacts. I just have to keep my landing lights on...

Post back here if you do ask and get a reply, OK? If the answer's 'no' (which is what I'd expect), then you could do the tweak yourself, if you have a few hours spare and a copy of Photoshop or similar. There's no law against tweaking your own files of course!

Martin

Good job. :Applause:  Personally I would just lighten the aprons and taxiways.

My pet peeve with this scenery is that the LDIN lights for the VOR/GPS Rwy 13L/R approach are incorrectly placed. :Rolling Eyes:

I wonder if anyone would know how to make and place the LDIN lights correctly for this lovely approach?

You'd need to tweak one of the bgl files. Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? The same restriction would apply. Even if I could fix that, I wouldn't dare upload it without permission as the files are copyright.

We cross-posted I think : you see what I said about aprons and taxiways. I'll have another look, but it was difficult to get right first time round. Will post back if I have any success..

Agree, now one of the the lower end sceneries I bought. Just a terrible effort. I'll replace allmy scenery eith Flightbeam when or they make it. They have the perfect balance with excellent performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

This is the problem when you start adjusting areas of dark tarmac outside the apron areas. This is in spite of applying exactly the same changes in brightness and contrast to every file. The result is uneven, as you can see. This patchwork effect could be fixed, but I don't have the patience to edit the gradient of each bitmap file one by one (I use Photoshop's macro function to do the lot) - it would take days and days to get it right. With the right aircraft (equipped with good taxi lights, so no need for glaring landing lights), the middle one seems OK to me.

The first screenshot is without any modifications at all (FSDT originals):

post-110788-0-51836500-1387663708.jpg

the second is with the files I currently use - my alterations, but without 'tarmac' enhancement - just the built up areas around the aprons, car parks etc.:

post-110788-0-73507900-1387663732.jpg

the third, after enhancing all **lm.bmp files:

post-110788-0-71182000-1387663744.jpg

I am redoing the other FSDT/Cloud9 airports I have bought recently though (KORD, KLAX, KDCA.. posibly EHAM)...