Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Requiescat in pace: Sir* Nelson Mandela

I wish to extend my deepest condolences to the nation of South Africa as well as the extended family of this phenomenal individual. May he rest in peace.

While I knew that he'd been awarded an Honorary Knighthood, I was not aware of his other awards.

Nelson Mandela received Knights Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav and The Order of the Elephant (Danish: Elefantordenen) (the highest order of Denmark. It has existed since 1693, and is almost exclusively bestowed on royalty and heads of state.)

*While officially he was not entitled to use the pre-nominative "Sir", I think it is appropriate at this time.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

May I join you in offering my condolences.

he was also a Knight of the Royal Swedish Order of the Seraphim and also the sole foreign member of the British Order of Merit which is limited to 24 members.

His is the type of life that should be more celebrated at it's end, rather than mourned. Extraordinary life, well lived. 

- Bill Magann

His life story is certainly inspiring, he was definitely one of the greatest leaders world has ever seen... I'm glad he lived such a long and meaningful life and managed to do so much good. 

Such an amazing, inspiring man.

Sad to see him pass on but what he did will live on in the world forever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

They lowered the flag over New Zealand Parliament this afternoon, RIP Nelson Mandela 

flag.JPG

Matthew Kane

Rest in Peace Madiba, a man who truly earnt his place in history.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Well said Bill and thanks for opening this topic.

There are few men that have walked on this little blue pearl of ours that have had as much impact as Nelson Mandela did in his 95 years. You can count on one hand his equals in the 95 years that he graced us with. There is not a president, prime minister, dictator, governor, or other politician or "representative of the people" that even deserves a place in the same book, let alone the same page, written about Sir Mandela. Where most "leaders" today are polarizing, divisive and alienating influences, Nelson Mandela's presence and influence, even while serving 27 years in prison, was singular in its unifying influence around the world. 

The world lost a very great man today, who, given the candidates we see around us, will never be emulated, let alone replaced. May his memory live long in all of us and may we collectively, someday, find a candidate to govern us as well as he did for his people and the community of man.

If that sounds like a Mandela fanbois, then I am guilty as charged without apology.

Rest In Peace.

This man was (and still is!!!) a wonder of this age and previous ages.

He was a good man, and an example to us all.

What a man ! What a life !

Bruno

PS (Bill) : I think it is : Requiescat in pace 

Leaders like him are one in a million and that is why the world morns his death. Its to bad that their aren't more leaders like he as if there were we might finally see peace.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

PS (Bill) : I think it is : Requiescat in pace 

And so it is! I haven't used Latin for many, many decades now. It's almost like a foreign language to me these days... :p0305:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

And so it is! I haven't used Latin for many, many decades now. It's almost like a foreign language to me these days... :p0305:

I don't use latin often either (and those school years are far away...). But you won't believe how smart I can be with Wikipedia.

Kind regards,

Bruno