Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

a great idea for a reality tv show!

seems like there tons of reality tv shows on these days but i think discovery wings should start ther own.very simple, just follow a bush pilot around for a year, with camera in the cockpit, man i think that would be cool, show the pilot doing the flight planning and everythingwhat do you all think? unfortunately this wont happenciao!Brian S

Ciao!

I think it would have to be more than just in the cockpit, Flight Planning and stuff.I think if the pilot him or herself was an interesting and unique character, and the people he/she came in daily contact were really interesting (a couple a bit off the wall would be a nice extra). Then throw in the wildlife and natural scenery of Alaska,etc, and of course the interesting approaches, landings, in remote areas etc,etc it would be a more viable show.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest RiddlePilot

I worked with an A&P at our local airport this summer, and one of his customers owned a Navion, but was looking for a DC-3. He and a buddy of his from the Discovery Channel wanted create a show about training pilots to fly complex aircraft. They would select a relatively low time pilot (~200 hours) and give him the books for a week and the keys for a week, and at the end of the 2 weeks, he'd take a checkride to see if he could earn a type rating. After some discussion, it was determined that a DC-3 was a little much for what he wanted to do, and I think the idea was pretty much put to rest. It would be interesting (and alot of pilot's dream) to see what would happen.

Very interesting to us, I think, but not to the idle masses with no interest in flying.Mind you, the first time I was ever taken up in a DHC-2 Beaver floatie in Alaska the pilot asked me to hold the door shut on my side as it usually flew open. Now that would certainly grab peoples' attention ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest RTC

>the pilot asked me to hold the door shut on>my side as it usually flew open.Sounds like a Soviet era airliner.BTW:I would watch a bush pilot show.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/36121.jpgAthlon 3000512Mb PC3200 DDR RAM (400MHz)256MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600seFS9, running fine :-)

Yeah, if they add some fake adventureous stuff, like emergencies etc. then such a show could become popular.Also focusing a bit on the love affairs with all the different girls waiting for the pilot at the different airports/fileds he is flying to would increase the interest in such a reality show (sex allways sells :-) ). But the aviation contend should be dominating off course. ;-)Wolfgang

Guest RonB49

It has already been done. The series was called "Northern Exposure." It had everything mentioned here: zany characters, sex appeal, and a stunning bush pilot (Maggie O'Connell -- Janene Turner). All set in Alaska what more could you want? Well perhaps a few would want more flying. R-

I think a program like that would do just fine on the Discovery Wings Channel. I would watch every episode or tape it if I couldn't lol. I only have basic cable at the moment so I don't have the Wings Channel but if a program like this came out I would get it in a heart beat no matter the extra cost lol.

>very simple, just follow a bush pilot around for a year, that would "kill" such a program. To spark interest in the general mass of people you would have to pick only those flights that were filled with unexpected events otherwise people (including many of us pilots) would simple fall asleep very quickly. No, I don't think it is a good idea for a "reality" tv show.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

I think if the show would not concentrate too much on the technical stuff, but focus on interesting people connected with bush flying, it might become a hit. The BBC made a reality show about Heathrow called 'Airport', and it ran for several seasons. Right now they're re-running it for the third time I believe and people don't seem to get enough of it. It was even shown in my own country, Belgium, with so much success that Flemish TV decided to do their own version about Brussels airport, just before and during the demise of Sabena. That show is running for the second (or maybe third?) time also. All in prime time!You might be surprised about just how many people are fascinated by the world of flying.Paul

Hasn't anyone watched "Wings over Canada"? It's a sort of bush pilot travel show that features a different location every week. I watch it on a local cable channel. Is it not available on Discovery Wings? It's very casual and low budget, but it's a great show.http://www.wingsovercanada.ca/DannyCYVR

Guest FlyboyMichael

Wings over Canada is excellent!!!

We already had a reality showed focused on pilots learning to fly the F-15. What could be more exciting than that, but it lasted two episodes. The general public doesn't care for aviation, like it or not. All they care for is sex or the possibiity thereof. As somebody already pointed out, the Bush pilot thing was already done by Northern Exposure, which was actually pretty witty and interesting even though there wasn't much flying. You can probably still catch it in the daytime on A&E or some network like that.