Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Turbulence

Greetings

I am currently using OpusFSX (cameras), FS Global Real Weather and Accu Feel in my FSX setup. I am hoping that other members using similar setups can give me some advice on how to get the most realistic turbulence effects on my aircraft.

I am posting in this forum, as I don't think it's fair to post in a dedicated product forum. The developers all have their own (quite valid) reasons for recommending certain setups, and I would like objective advice from other end users.

I am not sure what the best combination(s) are to get the best effect. At the present time, I also have not ticked 'disable turbulence' in FSX.

I realize this is a bit of an open ended question, but any and all advice (up to and including disabling one or more of the above) would be most appreciated.

I don't favour one software package over another, but just want to get the best result.

Thanks for reading this. Thanks for your help.

Graham

Great question, Graham, and I too look forward to the responses.

Of course, I agree with Patrick...do try ActiveSky Next upon its release this Monday...one can run it on a trial basis for 7 days, and it'll be fully functional. I've found that turbulence has consequences now with ASN running, and it seems to be well correlated with AIMET/SIGMET reports both vertically and horizontally.

For what it's worth, I've been testing ASN with FSUIPC, Accufeel running (although I've turned its turbulence sliders to OFF), and OPUS cameras enabled, along with its camera effects enabled, including turbulelnce. But it is confusing attempting to understand the interplay between all of these addons.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I user Accufeel and opus dhm together. There's some camera files at the opus website for 10-15 different addons, those will give you a good starting point for turbulence and other cockpit effects. You can make little changes as you wish and also transfer them to other types that are similar.

Accufeel is just a car of passing around with the sounds, I wouldn't worry too much about the stall instability sliders etc

Lee

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I user Accufeel and opus dhm together. There's some camera files at the opus website for 10-15 different addons, those will give you a good starting point for turbulence and other cockpit effects. You can make little changes as you wish and also transfer them to other types that are similar.

Accufeel is just a car of passing around with the sounds, I wouldn't worry too much about the stall instability sliders etc

Lee

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

+1 to all of that

Hi Graham

I ran some tests last weekend during very gusty weather at Ronaldsway on the Isle Of Man. I loaded the weather into FS Global Real Weather first then I cleared the weather and tried it with Opus FSX.

I found the turbulence generation in FS Global Real Weather to be less realistic than Opus FSX (IMO).
All it appeared to do was gently push the airframe around in a weird yawing motion - much like the default FSX turbulence does sometimes. Certainly no jolts or rapid pitch changes as you'd expect in strong turbulence. Opus FSX was much better in this regard and did give a more realistic "shove" to replicate what I would expect flying a circuit in turbulent weather conditions.

Opus FSX does have some unwanted side effects to their turbulence generation. A number of users including myself have reported their aircraft freezing during banking maneuvers with the "bump" effect switched on. It's worth playing around with the "bump" settings to find your own individual sweet spot.

I also have Accufeel installed but so far I haven't noticed it having any turbulence effects on any of my aircraft.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Thanks for all of your answers. It seems that the consensus is weather program, camera effects and Accu feel for ground effects. I also noticed that Accu feel didn't seem to add much in the way of air turbulence. The ground effects are good and I like the sounds.

I certainly plan to try ASN on Monday. If it lives up to it's billing it will be something else. Thanks for the sneak peek. Can I turn off camera effects in Opusfsx using ASN? Should FSX turbulence be turned off? Did you run it without Opusfsx DHM? Being testers, you may not want to give too much away. I totally respect that.

I do have another question. Are you guys running turbulence in the add-ons (opus, accu feel) with turbulence running or disabled in FSX weather options page?

OK one more :) Are you using TrackIR? If so, how does that affect your setup, if at all?

I guess the ultimate would be to have realistic aircraft movement and dynamic head movement as a result. It does get a bit goofy when your head is bouncing around due to turbulence ; but the view outside of the plane is steady. Perfection is elusive indeed.

Thanks for everything so far. It has been very useful and helpful to me.

Graham

Hi Graham

I ran some tests last weekend during very gusty weather at Ronaldsway on the Isle Of Man. I loaded the weather into FS Global Real Weather first then I cleared the weather and tried it with Opus FSX.

I found the turbulence generation in FS Global Real Weather to be less realistic than Opus FSX (IMO).

All it appeared to do was gently push the airframe around in a weird yawing motion - much like the default FSX turbulence does sometimes. Certainly no jolts or rapid pitch changes as you'd expect in strong turbulence. Opus FSX was much better in this regard and did give a more realistic "shove" to replicate what I would expect flying a circuit in turbulent weather conditions.

Opus FSX does have some unwanted side effects to their turbulence generation. A number of users including myself have reported their aircraft freezing during banking maneuvers with the "bump" effect switched on. It's worth playing around with the "bump" settings to find your own individual sweet spot.

I also have Accufeel installed but so far I haven't noticed it having any turbulence effects on any of my aircraft.

Hope this is useful.

Regards

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have OpusFSX too, but I can't find the "bump" effect you mention anywhere in the program. Could you point me to where it is?

I actually find turbulence in FSX to be really mild. In GA planes the effects are quite noticeable, but in bigger planes there is often little to no turbulence IMO. Also the wind direction and speed are very stable. Often when gusts are reported in the METAR, they aren't actually there with the weather depicted by Opus. There is sometimes some variance though.

I certainly plan to try ASN on Monday. If it lives up to it's billing it will be something else. Thanks for the sneak peek. Can I turn off camera effects in Opusfsx using ASN? Should FSX turbulence be turned off? Did you run it without Opusfsx DHM? Being testers, you may not want to give too much away. I totally respect that.

I do have another question. Are you guys running turbulence in the add-ons (opus, accu feel) with turbulence running or disabled in FSX weather options page?

OK one more :) Are you using TrackIR? If so, how does that affect your setup, if at all?

I guess the ultimate would be to have realistic aircraft movement and dynamic head movement as a result. It does get a bit goofy when your head is bouncing around due to turbulence ; but the view outside of the plane is steady. Perfection is elusive indeed.

Thanks for everything so far. It has been very useful and helpful to me.

Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graham:

When beta-testing ASN, I have been using OPUS, but only for its views management, TrackIR, and related camera effects...and I haven't turned those off. I'll try that over the weekend with some of my planned flights. I will say that during ASN testing, I've already seen dramatic turbulence when, like an idiot, I disregarded a SIGMET warning of heavy to severe turbulence,..there are consequences to be dealt with!

ASN will completely by-pass FSUIPC and its weather settings as well as whatever is set within FSX itself...so those don't have any influence over what one experiences. All weather-related effects, including wind shear, turbulence, etc., are provided by ASN.

Finally, my TrackIR setup, running through OPUS Live Camera (no OPUS weather enabled) works just fine with ASN.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Thanks Rudi

I was curious about the FSX turbulence. Do you have the check box ticked to disable in FSX? You indicated that ASN bypasses FSUIPC/FSX. Does that effectively disable FSX turbulence regrdless of the setting in FSX weather? I only ask because I want to get this right. Forgive me if I seemed to trip over the obvious :)

Thanks Rudi

I was curious about the FSX turbulence. Do you have the check box ticked to disable in FSX? You indicated that ASN bypasses FSUIPC/FSX. Does that effectively disable FSX turbulence regrdless of the setting in FSX weather? I only ask because I want to get this right. Forgive me if I seemed to trip over the obvious :)

I do have FSX turbulence disabled, having checked that option. But that's probably unnecessary, given that ASN bypasses these settings as well as FSUIPC weather options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Thanks for that. I don't use FSUIPC weather options. I'll certainly pick up ASN on Monday.

Graham

Just one more question.....I keep saying that :)

What can I expect if I turn off turbulence in FSX, Bump Aircraft in OpusFSX (use dynamic head movement) and use Accu Feel? Will the aircraft move? Or do I need Bump Aircraft, given that I'm using Opus cameras? Of course, I can try it out myself on Monday. If no reply (that's OK) I'll report back.

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

Graham

To improve depiction of turbulence in FSX , open FSX.cfg go to the weather section and amend the following entries:

MinGustTime=5
MaxGustTime=1000
MinGustRampSpeed=2
MaxGustRampSpeed=100
MinVarTime=2
MaxVarTime=500
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=3.000000

I obtained this info from a Dutch simmer whose name I cannot remember.

Well, as a user of both X-plane 10 and FSX ( and P3Dv2, although this one awaiting their 1st service release...) all I can say is that I have got with ASN the first true sensation of turbulence, updrafts and downdrafts, including those killer microbursts, but also windshear and overall wind variability, that I had since MS FLIGHT with some of the weather themes introduced with the Alaskan Wilderness pack.

IIn ASN you can experience the various types of turbulence, and tune them to your own liking ( something we can't yet do in X-Plane 10... ).

The way your aircraft get's bounced / shaked / pulled up or pushed down depending the situation is very well done, and if caused by huge, dangerous convective clouds, or in their vicinity, you'll really be in trouble!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...