Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

Texture Blurries with the Portland KPDX 2010 Scenery

Hi,

I recently downloaded and installed the very nice Portland KPDX 2010 scenery by Sidney Schwartz and Pater Ham. Unfortunately, if I place my plane at KPDX, all surrounding textures get blurried from one second to another.

I know that this kind of phenomenon was caused by some object library texture files; I therefor installed updates 1-3 für Sidney Schwartz' EZ object library textures without success.

Furthermore, duplicate libraries could be a problem (duplicates floating around with not-updated textures), with eliminating them from other places than my dedicated Rwy12 and EZ library folders I was able to solve a similar problem at another airport. This is the main direction of investigation I go momentarily.

But as well any add-on texture somewhere in the main texture folder could be the problem. I even remind two single texture files causing this problem at UDYZ - converting them to DXT3 solved this problem.

My question is, if maybe someone has had this problem at KPDX before and can point me into the right direction?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Solved.

Duplicate object libraries, as assumed. Not quite easy to find, if scenery builders include them into their sceneries with other filename...

Once again, Procmon proved at useful tool for finding this kind of problems.

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Harald, how did you do so with Procmon? I mean, what should I be looking for when analyzing? I've only used it for missing sounds and landclass-caused OOMs

Sent from my Nokia 1100

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Luis Miguel,

before creating a flight with the stock C172 I start Procmon and filter for events as following:

"Path" - "ends with" - "bmp" - then "include".

Procmon will now show loaded textures only.

Then I start my flight.

No I have to look at 8,000 or so entries to find loaded textures in scenery folders without any connection to KPDX. For instance for KPDX, I found loaded textures from sceneries regarding Argentina, China, Iran, Pakistan, Costa Rica and Mali.

No I go to these scenery folders and look for .bgl files which are in fact these of Rwy12 and EZ object libraries. I have to compare name, date and file size. It's very fussy, as many scenery builders rename them before including them into their own sceneries, but effective at least. I deactivate these .bgl files and voilà! No more blurries at KPDX.

Hope this helps.

Now I can start to my FS winter journey to the sunny south, maybe I visit your country, too.

Greetings from cold and stormy Germany!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Very insightful Harald.

I gave up, and removed all sceneries using object libraries... I suspected at the time there was an issue with GE Pro (which I could not live without) so GE Pro stayed and performance (of course, but co-incidentally) improved immediately.

Flying in New Zealand was always a problem for me, as Lawrie Roache's sceneries all use Sid's objects.

So I created a specific NZ - only sim!

I'd love to know where the clash was though, perhaps one day I will summon the patience to follow your lead with procmon.

WingZ,

it should be no problem if these NZ sceneries contain the libraries with their origin name.

But if they have different names, it's a real pain just to identify them.

Maybe it's the best to solve problems not earlier as they occur...

Good luck!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Now I can start to my FS winter journey to the sunny south, maybe I visit your country, too.

Greetings from cold and stormy Germany!

Harald

Thank you very much Harald, looks better than trial-and error. Colombia is sunny, but there is a lot of mountains (i.e., interesting approaches and departures).

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Scenery genius Jon "Scruffyduck" Masterson has created a program for ferreting out duplicate scenery objects. It does this by searching for guids within bgls, so if a bgl has been renamed it will still find duplicate objects. Probably much easier than using the process monitor. You can get it here...

http://www.scruffyduck.org.uk/files/dof_100.zip

Needless to say, I HATE it when scenery designers include copies of my object libraries with their scenery uploads instead of directing the user to download only those libraries they don't already have. And of course it's not just my object libraries they do this with. It creates a real mess.  :mad:

It's not duplicate objects that are causing the "blurries". Be careful when removing duplicate objects as a particular AFCAD or other software program might try to call that object and it is not in the file the developer created. The OP came close to the answer/fix in post #4 but it ended up being the wrong solution. It is a known fact that scenery from around the world will load even if you are not there or planning to go there, especially any photoscenery (and a lot of people are getting more and more of photoscenery as computers increase in power). That's why I recommended several months ago to download and run the SceneryConfigEditor. It works in FS9 too. You can get more details about this utility by checking out the AVSIM FS9 Configuration Guide (okay, it's a guide for FSX too). A link is located under the Contents Tab above. With this utility you can disable all of the scenery that will not be in your flight plan and load only the stuff you will be using for a flight. You do this before you even open up FS9.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim thanks for this comment.

There's not much in there for FS9'ers, but after ploughing through all that you get to

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

I hope linking this doesn't affect any of the copyrights and cautions... 

I ran this and it has already paid its way by picking up a few errors (No path, typos...)

I do have a question: I previously used a utility that grouped sceneries and switched them on and off as desired.

The effect on AES was disastrous - any subsequent AES configuration run was totally confused as to what had been installed prior.

Does this one work around that issue? 

Thanks Jim.

Seems as I have used some inaccurate words.

to find loaded textures in scenery folders without any connection to KPDX

In fact I meant textures which obviously belonged to EZ object libraries.

But maybe this addition makes my solution not netter. Anyway, I always believed that an object library has to be installed once, and all sceneries using it can access it without containing it again?

And last but not least: thanks Sidney for your contribution to flightsimming freeware!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

do have a question: I previously used a utility that grouped sceneries and switched them on and off as desired.

The effect on AES was disastrous - any subsequent AES configuration run was totally confused as to what had been installed prior.

Does this one work around that issue?

This is probably the same utility. It has been updated several times over the years. It was originally made for FS9 and, when it was upgraded to FSX, I immediately grabbed it. If you disable any of your airports, AES is going to get upset, really upset. AES wants to be on the top tier of the Scenery Library and it wants you to keep all your addon airports enabled all of the time. I disabled mine once and it really got upset but, if you do not fly to that airport in your flightplan, you should be okay. Personally I have enabled all of my addon airports. There really do not consume much VAS. The photoscenery and eye-candy scenery that you will NOT be flying over is what you want to disable.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You're welcome, Harald. I'm glad to be able to give something back to the flightsim community.

You are correct in saying that only one copy of an object library is necessary. When you load a scenery FS will look for the object library first in that scenery folder and then check all other active scenery folders if it doesn't find it. Jim is correct is saying that duplicate objects do not cause blurries. However, they do cause other problems, typically objects not appearing correctly or not appearing at all.

I think there were duplicate libraries without the updated textures. Deleting them actually did solve my problem, and I enjoy KPDX without blurries now.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Well, rather late to comment but I'd like to tell you guys that I've solved these scenery blurries. Curiously, in my system, they were being caused by two airports from FRF Studio: VIDPv3 and KLFKv7. I want to thank you guys for the tips. I've used them all to pinpoint the trouble.