Sign in to follow this  
bic

777 in strong crosswind

Am I missing something here? This story is getting circulated by a ton of press (its the 4th time I've come across it on my news travels today) and it's nothing more than a typical aborted landing in high crosswinds. Anyone here has seen similar a bajillion times..  The one in the video is actually quite graceful.. Pilot looks in complete control of glide path and I'm guessing he knew if he kicked the rudder over the wind was too strong still to land center line.  Also the un-even runway makes his rear wheels seem like he kissed the runway when he probably still had a few feet left. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yeah, no kidding about the news coverage. It was ironic that just as I clicked on the video to watch it, CNN broadcast the same video during their 30 minute news recycle... :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Relax there big guy... It's probably more news because of the whole weather story over there. No harm in sharing the vid - - you don't need to watch it.

The news outlets are treating the story as if the Pilot narrowly averted a disaster! Of course, WE all know it was a good display of SA and flying skill by the PF!

It just goes to show how mis-informed the Media is when it comes to Aviation in general...

By the by... personally, I love watching these videos just to see how sideways some of those big birds get! :P

klingon.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Nothing even remotely abnormal or interesting about that video.

I guess the news ran out of real stories to report on.

I love the twitter comment about the passenger throwing up, talk about sensationalizing a non event.   I always wondered if it is wise for the airlines to offer runway cameras or ATC feeds to nervous passengers, I'm assuming said passenger was watching the event unfold either via the seatback monitors, a window seat, or she felt the sharp yawing motion during the decrab attempts.

Seems like a typical crosswind landing, with a typical go-around procedure. Overhyped.

Good flying though.

There is a great comment by someone trying to sound smart in that site about the airplane being extremely close to a stall because the wings were getting very little lift from forward motion and all the lift was from the winds of the storm.

I bet he can prove that airplanes can't take off from treadmills either...

There are a lot of people out there that just don't understand what is going on and end up fearing imaginary dangers.

That looked like a nice go around.

I had a girl next to me use the airsick bag right after a crosswind touchdown in gusty conditions with some chop. Had she attempted to tighten her belt any more she might have torn it out of her seat. I kept my mouth shut for fear that she may get more worked up until after we taxi'd off the runway.

I love the Monday Morning Quarterbacks here who say this is typical and not unusual... LOL! You could do so much better I'm sure...

I love the Monday Morning Quarterbacks here who say this is typical and not unusual... LOL! You could do so much better I'm sure...

Oh lordy I can't believe I'm biting on this.. Ummm.. No one said they can do better, and it really is not unusual or out of the ordinary.  Planes are tested in these conditions before even being certified. Not sure what you were going for with that post but whatever gets you up in the morning. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Oh lordy I can't believe I'm biting on this.. Ummm.. No one said they can do better, and it really is not unusual or out of the ordinary.  Planes are tested in these conditions before even being certified. Not sure what you were going for with that post but whatever gets you up in the morning. 

Someone posted a very interesting landing and you all had to just bash the heck out of it. "That's not unusual, I do it all the time..." Yeah right you do, LOL! I don't fly the big birds but I spend a lot of time at the local major airport and in 6 years, I've never seen any crosswind landing like that.

But you are special, so I bow to you sir.

Someone posted a very interesting landing and you all had to just bash the heck out of it. "That's not unusual, I do it all the time..." Yeah right you do, LOL! I don't fly the big birds but I spend a lot of time at the local major airport and in 6 years, I've never seen any crosswind landing like that.

Ugh... No one bashed the OP, or the video itself based soley on what it was.. Any, and all comments bashing anything were based on the fact the media is presenting this as a "near tragedy" and "disaster averted" situation.. When, again, it was just an ordinary crosswind attempt. Keep trying to prove your point that we are all evil and smug flight simmers though.. Eventually someone will believe you. 

Well they earned their paycheck :) Guys, weather was insane in the UK and Holland that day.

Of course they train in the sim and the aircraft is certified up to a limit, whole different ball game in real life, two attempts then a divert from Birmingham all the way back down to a windy Gatwick approach? yeah I'd call that pretty damn unusual! They must have burnt most of the reserves by the time they pulled into the gate

Nice video, unfortunately for the media I'm sure no schools/churches etc where in danger ;) would have been a hell of a ride for all onboard tho!

Rob Prest

Seems you have a problem with people having a different opinion from yours.

Yes of course...yours is the only one that matters, right?