Hi all,

Firstly, let me say I am not a frame-rate chaser. I am happy with 30fps, and happier with smooth. For the last year I have been running FSX on Windows 8 with a GTX580 with no more tweaking and 30fps pretty much all over the shop.

Then I went and bought a GTX Titan. I did this for two reasons: firstly, I am a big P3d fan and it likes VRAM; secondly, I wanted to see if it made a difference in FSX. Boy does it make a difference. Until last night.

Anyway, when I bought it, and as it was about a year and a half since I reinstalled FSX, I did a total removal and reinstall. Everything. Airports, sceneries and finally FSX itself. Three days later (really - only installing in the evenings) I was back. I have only installed all of my ORBX and FSDT stuff and RealAir and Carenado planes so far, so a pretty vanilla install.

When I first fired it up, it was amazing. It wasn't the FPS, it was the smoothness of everything. A revelation (*cough - it should be for the $)

I decided to run in DX10 as I figured it would tax the GPU a little more and perhaps allow for higher FPS (I know I said I wasn't an FPS chaser...) I am using Steve's fixer.

All works fine. However, I now seem to have a marked stuttering problem in both DX9 and DX10. My frames are dropping to 15 (I use 1/2 rr in NVI) and it is struggling. Taking all sliders to 0 makes no difference so it seems to be something else.

It is the same in P3d. It is like a stutter a frame, thereby dropping the fr to 15.

It seems better with stock planes, but I am flying into CYVR atm, around Puget in the Carenado B200 and it is awful. Worse than my old GTX580 LOL

Any ideas? I am using the latest R331 NVIDIA drivers. I have seen some stuff somewhere saying VSync is broken in that release. Can anyone conform this? Should I turn off Vsync and live with tearing until my 120Hz monitor arrives?

I'm a bit stumped as it hasn't coincided with any particular tweak bar installing DX10 and using that (with its own NVI profile obvs)

Many thanks in advance

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I heard that if you turn up your settings, the Titan will start to work harder and actually preforms better. You probably know way more than I do on all of this but perhaps that might actually work. Although you did say you were flying at YVR and everything, so I'm kind of stumped as well. Have you played around with inspector settings?

Michael Ignagni

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Well, my sliders are maxed. I only lowered them to see if it made a difference and it doesn't seem to really, well, it does a bit but not what you'd expect. It makes no difference where they are, or if I use DX9 or DX10 it seems.

I am beginning to suspect the drivers and Vsync. I have removed the ForceVsync lines from my cfg

I've tried it with no NVI settings, Pauls recommended ones, the ones I saw at Word Not Allowed's site, a few variations of my own, nothing seems to make much difference. I am still experimenting..

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Ok, so I just deleted my cfg file and with only HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the newly generated one I am seeing 8-11FPS taking off from CYVR in a Beech Duke Turbine.

Something not right here...

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Sorry I cannot answer you but I have as well stuttering problem. With good framerates 29.9 mostly I have small stuuters which are occuring all the time. I tried a lot for DX10 cause I was quite happy with DX9. But in DX10 I get better frames. I tried with REJECTED THRESHOLS BUFFER, FIBER FRAME, DIV AA, NVIDIA INSPECTOR.... I disable UT, Flight Keeper, COUATL, FSINN, OPUS but still stutters. Maybe it is caused by the DX10 option. I do not know where to search now.

WIN7 64bit, 4.9GHZ, Nvidia GTX580 with the latest driver. (Maybe I should try with an older driver, a driver which was perfect for DX9) Any help is very appreciated.

Regards Tom

Should be no stuttering with your system, Tom, but not knowing what monitor(s) you are using makes it difficult to give you a definitive answer..

Please put your system specs and cpu speed in your profile, so that it appears under your Avatar. Then - copy and rename your fsx.cfg to "Tom_fsx.txt", and attach it to a reply, using the "More Reply Options" (bottom-right). Follow that by posting a screenshot of your Inspector settings, please!

Thanks,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

I put my specs where it belongs.

My Nvidia Settings

http://img.techpowerup.org/131209/nvidia_20131209_201927.png

and I attached my fsx.cfg

Maybe you see something - I don´t everything looks pretty well - I hope you see something.

I start to think that it might be a simconnect phenomen?!!

Kind Regards Tom

soundrats_FSX.txt

[bufferPools]

UsePools=1

RejectThreshold=262144   //  You might try ading a PoolSize=10485760 (10MB), with a larger RT, too - say 524288 (512 kB) or even 1048576 (1024kB).

Good site..  512000=500kB  (computers like counting in bits, nibbles, bytes, words and double-words!)

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120   // 40 is for low-end machines.

[scenery]

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4  //  5

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.12

Nice system!  Try these changes, Tom - the cfg is very good, but your TBM is too low.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thnx Paul,
I changed the cfg like you adviced
Usepools 1
RejectThreshold 524288
Poolsize 10485760

Image_Complexity 4
TBM 120
FFTF 0.12 is this not very low? How does this work with ORBX?

Unfortunately it is more or less the same, maybe slightly better. But for sure not significant.
I tested with only one monitor same result, I use clone monitors to use the touchscreen for the instruments where I scroll via Opus. As I said I disabled all addon soft - opus, flightkeeper, fsinn, UT, couatl, goflight bridge. I do not think that I have to try with disabled fsuipc :-)

Kind Regards Tom

Try defrag and application controlled VSYNC in the NI for a while. Fullscreen or windowed?

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Try defrag and application controlled VSYNC in the NI for a while. Fullscreen or windowed?

Hi Michael, no defrag on SSDs. VSYNC will try. Fullscreen and Windowed (on FSLab concorde) mostly Fullscreen.

Regards Tom

Intern VSYNC does not help.

Regards Tom

Ok, so I just deleted my cfg file and with only HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the newly generated one I am seeing 8-11FPS taking off from CYVR in a Beech Duke Turbine.

Highmemfix=1 is not a tweak. It is a fix that Microsoft developers forgot to add in SP2/Acceleration. FSDT CYVR is a known memory hog if not properly configured. I don't know if you have FSDT's version installed or not but that's the case. I get decent FPS with my system but then I don't have all of my sliders maxed out and have my settings set as per the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (link under the Content Tab). It's somewhat nasty with Orbx/FTX stuff installed too. Can't you find a nice airport in Nebraska or something to take off from? LOL! Just kidding. I can replicate stuttering 100% of the time if I have no page file on the drives where the scenery is located. The page file must be set to System Managed Size. There is no magic tweak that will fix stuttering.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Highmemfix=1 is not a tweak. It is a fix that Microsoft developers forgot to add in SP2/Acceleration. FSDT CYVR is a known memory hog if not properly configured. I don't know if you have FSDT's version installed or not but that's the case. I get decent FPS with my system but then I don't have all of my sliders maxed out and have my settings set as per the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (link under the Content Tab). It's somewhat nasty with Orbx/FTX stuff installed too. Can't you find a nice airport in Nebraska or something to take off from? LOL! Just kidding. I can replicate stuttering 100% of the time if I have no page file on the drives where the scenery is located. The page file must be set to System Managed Size. There is no magic tweak that will fix stuttering.

Best regards,

System Manage Size ?

Does this mean that Pouls recommendation is not up to date putting a pagefile OF FSX installations DRIVE :huh: ? Hmm i dont get stutter with Pouls recommendations btw.

Link:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409828-improving-fsx-via-windows/?p=2688292

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Have you tired internally locking your frames to 33? Have a look at this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427248-rendering-and-performance-faq-from-lm/

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."