Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

The basic combination of P3D v2 and Add-ons

Didn't quite know how to title this but thought I'd put together a list of my basics to have a sim platform that gives me everything I need like FS9 has done over the years:

1. Base Platform - P3D v2

2. Good Weather Program - Activesky

3. Updated world Ground textures - Orbx or what the consensus is that's best

4. AI Traffic - We really need an updated package for those of us not savvy (Ultimate Traffic 3). These airlines keep going out of business or merging. WOAI I hope becomes native and we need another version of GATraffic to populate the many small airports in the world

5. Texture refinement package - For things like water and sky (REX and some other options fit the bill here)

With these basic things on startup for me I can start getting the more detailed airports as they come out, area scenery, and planes. I really would like the get the Alaska area built up again because bush flying to various cabins using FSCargo and Misty Mooring's additions was pretty cool. I won't be installing add-ons unless their 100% compatible so I guess FS9 will be around for awhile on my machine just like those of you with FSX.

Feel free to chime in as to your basics to get you on your way with P3D v2.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

You're using ActiveSky and its 166F OAT temp insertion?  As far as I know OpenClouds is the only weather program to circumvent the temp insertion problem.  And yes, you're gonna have a bad time with 166F OAT

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

1. Base Platform - P3D v2 indeed

2. Good Weather Program - no thanks. I am a bit fed up with OpusFSX (doing odd things and becoming far too complicated) and rather create the weather I like myself

3. Updated world Ground textures - FTX Global and maybe Vector and OpenLC in the future. Right now I use Norwegian freeware (landclass and airports)

4. AI Traffic - right now I don't care for AI at all, really: I only see them on airports and I usually fly on small ones so there isn't AI there anyway. And I don't need to have AI using precious resources while I can't even see them. I rather have Orbx populating the small airports with static planes but they only do that with regions so no planes for me right now. (Maybe I will buy FTX Scotland and have some populated airports but it's not P3D 2.0 ready yet and I am completey done with addons that don't have official installers and aren't completely compatible.... Then again, even FTXG isn't completely compatible...)

5. Texture refinement package - I use REX but ONLY for cumulus because the default clouds suck. But that's it. I wouldn't know what else I would like to see refined.

In short, I have a rather basic sim. I am even only flying default aircraft because none of my FSX addons work reliably. But it's running well and never dips below 30 fps (limit at 34) so I am quite happy with that.

You're using ActiveSky and its 166F OAT temp insertion?  As far as I know OpenClouds is the only weather program to circumvent the temp insertion problem.  And yes, you're gonna have a bad time with 166F OAT

here we go. :) Was going to mention the AS high OAT being a buzz killer.(A LM fault) Cant use it that way with realistic aircraftmodels. I believe Opus is one of the few trhat os injecting the correct temperature because they dont use Metar streams if I'm not mistaken.

Not 100% convinced OrbxFTX isnt causing some issue. You look at LM forum and the common thread is FTX.

here we go. :) Was going to mention the AS high OAT being a buzz killer.(A LM fault) Cant use it that way with realistic aircraftmodels. I believe Opus is one of the few trhat os injecting the correct temperature because they dont use Metar streams if I'm not mistaken.

Not 100% convinced OrbxFTX isnt causing some issue. You look at LM forum and the common thread is FTX.

I'm more surprised people haven't complained about terrible airplane performance.. Seems only a small percentage are aware of the temp problems. Even in an average old piston driven GA aircraft an 166F OAT should immediately stand out as you will probably not have nearly enough runway to get off the ground at a typical municipal airport. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

As much as I'd be willing to fully migrate from FSX, the observation of certain 'growing pains' over the last few days have made me realize that it's going to be a long time before that happens.  But still, even given a few major issues that I'm having, this will be my P3Dv2 installation:

1. Base Platform - P3Dv2 (obviously, given the location of this topic ^_^ )

2. Sky Environment - I'm waiting until there is a P3Dv2 native weather add-on, but I will most likely add some REX cloud textures.

3. Ground Environment - FTX Global, once it has a few compatibility kinks sorted out.  I will continue to add the FTX products as they become available in parallel with FSX, and install various FTX regions as they are updated for native compatibility.

4. AI Traffic - Custom compiled AI traffic for regions and airlines I desire, with the focus on FSX native models, same as I currently use in FSX.

From there, it's simply small scale 3rd party airports / scenery and additional planes for certain types of flying.

- I will be installing a select few small GA planes for sightseeing. Likely a few older Carenado items that I can copy and paste, plus the Lionheart Fairchild 24 & the Piper Pacer.  Once the A2A 172 becomes fully compatible, I will be installing that.  The lack of RXP compatibility will make certain planes an adjustment to fly.

- I will be installing a few helicopters, such as the Dodosim 206, for example.  The smoothness in flight that I've experienced thus far makes me excited to use P3Dv2 for this type of flying.

- It sounds like there's a few performance issues to be sorted out with the Q400; once I feel it's ready (or I get impatient), this will be installed. I have had exceptional performance in the FSDT airports I own (CYVR, KLAX, KLAS), so these will be installed once the Q400 is.

- I have found that the Twin Otter Extended performs flawlessly in P3Dv2.  This will be installed, although likely won't see as much use on this platform until a bit more FTX stuff is released, or NA FTX stuff is compatible.

- I will be testing compatibility with a select few military jets; however the issues with vessel wakes may keep me from installing carriers, so I may not use P3Dv2 heavily for this type of flying yet.

There's a good chance, having seen the timeline for the FTX region updates, that by the time all my FTX stuff is native for P3Dv2, I'll be able to fully migrate from FSX to P3Dv2.  That gives LM a good year or so to work on improvements and bug fixes!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Great thread!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Has anyone got UT2 to work in P3D v2.0?

In the compatible addons in the pinned thread here, I see the following comments:

"Ultimate Traffic 2--works in P3D2 with EMT

must also change the dll.xml to point to P3D versions of traffictoolbox.dll and visualfxtool.dll (leave object_placement.dll pointing to fsx version)

Installing into P3D will disable use in FSX--program uses registry settings to point to a single installed program folder"

I know what dll.xml is, and it's basic structure- what I don't understand is how to point to traffictoolbox.dll and/or visualfxtool.dll (P3D versions).

Thanks for any info, Bruce.

you dont need to do that second part, why any would post that you need to point to traffictoolbox and visualtool to get ai traffic working is beyond me.

-Paul-