Sign in to follow this  
RogueSix

Will FTX Global Vector make UTX obsolete?

Hi guys,

just reinstalled FSX and since FTX Global Vector is supposed to come out shortly I was wondering whether it is even worth it to install UTX (Europe) at this point anymore or just wait the week or two until FTX Global Vector is available. Or are there any other benefits to UTX that FTX Global Vector does not have? Will FTX Global Vector make UTX obsolete? What would you do?

Thanks,

Daniel

I think vector is the way to go. It covers the whole world and looks terrific with ftx global.

I think Global Vector + OpenLC will make UTX or SceneryTech obsolete.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Imo it's already obsolete.

No updates for how many years? And afaik no plans for P3D.

They had their time in the sun. The world of sims is moving forward.

- From a pricing standpoint, if one hasn't invested in all of the UTX areas (and one wants all of the areas covered), then FTX Global Vector wins.

- From a useability / installation standpoint, FTX Global Vector wins. (One simple install vs. intricate, follow-to-the-letter instructions...)

- From a multi-platform compatibility standpoint, FTX Global Vector wins.

- FTX Global Vector is being created from current data, at least one one hope. In some areas this might be a major thing.

- FTX Global Vector looks to have a nicer representation of roads, especially intersections.

For users that are happy with their already installed UTX coverage though, there may be no reason to switch.  Also, considering that FTX Global Vector isn't yet released, there's always the (rather unlikely) possibility that the final product won't meet UTX quality - after all, we really won't know until people start using it and forming opinions.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I hope that once all of these products are out Orbx has some sort of combo pricing where you get some discount for purchasing Global + Vector + OpenLC + the Worldwide Mesh to go along with all of it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I hope that once all of these products are out Orbx has some sort of combo pricing where you get some discount for purchasing Global + Vector + OpenLC + the Worldwide Mesh to go along with all of it.

There's already an announced 10% discount on the upcoming Vector product to anyone who buys or has bought FTX Global before Jan 2nd.  I guess that's a sale more than a combo price, but still.

You'll never see mesh included in any possible combo, since Orbx isn't selling a mesh product.  They simply have a business relationship with FSGlobal which is being advertized, for example, with the Iceland demo.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Vector doesnt' replace UTX  

yes it replaces the "vector" part.. the roads, etc.. 

but you can still use UTX for landclass.. landclass tells the sim what textures to put where.. 

If I understand correctly.. as long as you keep UTX below ORBX stuff in your scenery.cfg file.. when you install Global Vector and as long as that is above UTX that should just overwrite UTX.. I think it will anyway.. 

now once ORBX released the LC areas.. then yes.. I am planning then to delete UTX

Ciao!

I think Global Vector + OpenLC will make UTX or SceneryTech obsolete.

UTX is still a very good product. What updates are you looking for??? To date hardly any of the coast lines and rivers in Europe haven't changed. Unless there's been some major geographical shifts I'm not aware of.

I may be mistaken but I think their both using the same source data. The only difference I see at this point is UTX is being offered only for FSX and Orbx is offering for FSX and P3D. If you're planning to move forward with P3D as your platform, then Orbx is your only option for now. If you plan on staying with FSX only UTX is a very good option.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

now once ORBX released the LC areas.. then yes.. I am planning then to delete UTX

You are very correct!  I overlooked the timeline for availability on the Open LC products.  UTX will be viable for quite some time, if only for the landclass... unless you have a different landclass product or are on P3D of course.

UTX is still a very good product. What updates are you looking for??? To date hardly any of the coast lines and rivers in Europe haven't changed. Unless there's been some major geographical shifts I'm not aware of.

There's a good portion of the world that UTX doesn't cover...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Ok, you got me. Obsolete is wrong expression. :) OpenLC + Global Vector is MADE for FTXG, so everything will look way nicer and more natural. SceneryTech and UTX were made for default lclookup.bgl (FTXG has custom lclookup.bgl).

I'm not using UTX anymore, simply because it change road textures, so FTXG lights doesn't work with UTX. Also it has slight impact on VAS. FTXG street lights work with SceneryTech, but  most villages and small towns are not present at all.

I hope OpenLC will bring all missing villages and towns, and prettier representation of Swiss for example. With UTX gexture patterns are much more noticable than with SceneryTech. You can see example of my test here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/414770-utx-scenerytech-ftxg-test/

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Vector doesnt' replace UTX  

yes it replaces the "vector" part.. the roads, etc.. 

but you can still use UTX for landclass.. landclass tells the sim what textures to put where.. 

If I understand correctly.. as long as you keep UTX below ORBX stuff in your scenery.cfg file.. when you install Global Vector and as long as that is above UTX that should just overwrite UTX.. I think it will anyway.. 

To me it wouldn't make much sense to use UTX just for the landclass data, UTX installs a lot of files which become essentially "bloatware" if you're not going to be using them anyway, as well as running the risk of compatibility problems that might arise, even if scenery library entries are unchecked. It's just not worth the potential hair-pulling frustration IMO.

Personally I'm really looking forward to Vector, the fact that it covers the globe is a big selling point to me. FTX Global + Vector should be a quantum leap forward for areas outside of Europe and North America.

Personally I'm really looking forward to Vector, the fact that it covers the globe is a big selling point to me. FTX Global + Vector should be a quantum leap forward for areas outside of Europe and North America.

Agreed.  Open LC for those areas will be icing on the cake, but FTX Global + Vector will open up so much of the world for me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for the advice, folks. I think I'll hold off of reinstalling UTX then. Waiting for Global Vector and OpenLC does sound like a better idea overall to me. By the way what is the anticipated release time frame for the LC package or packages? Does anyone know? And will it also cover the whole globe in one package or are they going to sell region packs?

Check the OrbX forum for details, but OpenLC will be released in continental packs. IIRC Europe is set for January release and North America to follow in summer 2014, the rest after that.