Sign in to follow this  
RogueSix

Will FTX Global Vector make UTX obsolete?

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Unofficial ORBX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

For users that are happy with their already installed UTX coverage though, there may be no reason to switch.  Also, considering that FTX Global Vector isn't yet released, there's always the (rather unlikely) possibility that the final product won't meet UTX quality - after all, we really won't know until people start using it and forming opinions.

That's the key. I have UTX installed for where I fly (Europe), and it gives me accurate coastlines and water features. It also works very well with FTXG (and FSGenesis mesh).. I will not be buying Vector because (unless I missed something recently), it is an "all or nothing" package which does not have the configuration options that UTX has. In my case I find all vector (small 'v') roads unrealistic as they trample all over the scenery. UTX allows me to remove these. My understanding is that Vector will not. I'm also waiting to see what colour inland water will be with Vector. With UTX you can change the colour to taste (I prefer my inland water brown). Historically FTX inland water has been very blue, with no option to change (in UK at least).

All of this is very subjective of course. I'm still waiting to see how Vector turns out when it arrives. Particularly interested to see how it compares with UTX in terms of accuracy..

Obsolete?  Not for me unless I see some significant improvements. 

It's already been announced that Vector won't include residential or secondary roads as well as some of the other features of UTX (cemetaries, etc.).

These things may not be all that important to a tube flyer, but when you're staying low and slow to the ground they do make a difference.

Ernest Pergrem

It's already been announced that Vector won't include residential or secondary roads as well as some of the other features of UTX (cemetaries, etc.).

Really?  That stinks even for a "tube flyer" like me.  I've been contemplating getting FTX Global and the vector/LC products to fill in areas where I don't have photo real scenery.  I currently have UTX so if Vector has less data than UTX, then I will stay with UTX for that piece.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

What about FSX horrid coastlines and beaches? We may have to keep UTX for some features. Also I hope Orbx vector allows us to disable roads. Just ruins the countryside with gray lines...bleh.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Really?  That stinks even for a "tube flyer" like me.  I've been contemplating getting FTX Global and the vector/LC products to fill in areas where I don't have photo real scenery.  I currently have UTX so if Vector has less data than UTX, then I will stay with UTX for that piece.

Residential roads and secondary roads are off in default UTX for a reason. They trample all over autogen and screw up things.

It's not a big deal.

Residential roads and secondary roads are off in default UTX for a reason. They trample all over autogen and screw up things.

It's not a big deal.

Good point. Now that you mention that, I bet I have UTX residential and secondary disabled too. I'll have to check.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Also I hope Orbx vector allows us to disable roads. Just ruins the countryside with gray lines...bleh.

I asked that question a while back. Unless something changed recently there will be no facility to disable any roads. If that's the case, I'll be staying with UTX.

Obsolete?  Not for me unless I see some significant improvements. 

These things may not be all that important to a tube flyer, but when you're staying low and slow to the ground they do make a difference.

I totally agree. There is no doubt, Vector with openLC should look little better by default because it uses amazing FTX Global BasePack textures, but UTX was based on commercial GIS data which I find much more accurate then OSM used in Vector. If you ask me, I would recommend buying FTX Global BasePack, good old UTX, install them and do manual texture replacement in terrain.cfg, to make them look both "FTX-like". It's possible, and totally worth the few hours of work. If it's legal I can post my tweaks for UTX Europe here.

For me FTX Global is only interesting for areas being not covered by UTX. Even more as those Scenery Solution guys are following a new project that continues the way of dealing with autogen buildings following their vector roads similar to their Alaska scenery at some places. You may want to look here: http://scenerysolutions.tumblr.com/.

I like the way how they are integrating into a quite variable FSX world and you can find their settings well integrated into any existent terrain.cfg. If you want you can even use their shoreline vectors or roads when modifying sceneries being overlayed by UTX. As far as I understand, ORBX completely replaces the terrain.cfg it finds by its own one which makes any kind of combination at least much more difficult.

However, as I wrote above I'm thinking about the base package, but it will surely be placed below any UTX entry (I have all of them) in my scenery.cfg.

Regards,
Axel

Frankly, as it stands now , for the areas UTX covers, Global Vector is a very poor second. I have tested both extensivly on multiple installs of FSX, both 32 and 64 bit environments. clean installs and both installed together. Vector misses large amounts of data, rivers missing, no secondary roads no land class etc., well UTX is a complete Package. Vector is only OSM data plugged into a commercial package. and a Beta release at best. I would not advise buying it at this time until they extensivly improve it. It's only saving grace is that it is Global and is better than nothing in areas out side UTX coverage, but lets face it who's flying in Antarctica?

The truth no shill here...

Jon

+1

Get the FTXG lights on UTX roads fix and you're all set. I have all regions of UTX and changing to FTXGV is far away.

23.png

Hey mosteen can you link the light fix please? Wayne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART