Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

Drivers! All I can say is WOW

I have never ever EVER installed new drivers and gained SO much. In total I've gained a 29% increase in FPS!!!

To say I'm gob smacked is an understatement. Its like I've gone out and brought a new GPU. The difference in performance is astounding. Not just performance but smoothness. My whole system feels like it's not mine.

I thought P3D was good, now I think its AMAZING.

I have an AMD HD7950 nothing blistering but reasonable. I have been running the 13.4 drivers. I tried to update to the latest drivers but my computer would not under ANY circumstances load them. Yes, I've jumped through all the hoops with no luck. With FSX updating drivers was more or less a pointless exercise anyway.

AFTER 3 hours of trying, I'd managed to get the 13.9 drivers to stick. That was until they crashed and so did my PC and widows reported that no drivers were installed. After trying what I'd done before to no avail, I'd had enough and downloaded the latest beta drivers. I'd seen a glimpse of what new drivers can do, and before the crash, had taken some measurements.

Beta drivers work ok so far and the difference is bloody marvellous.

my experience of FSX and drivers, and even new video cards has been pointless. Times have now changed.

Ah you're using an AMD card so your 29% increase is still 38% less than what you would get with an Nvidia :lol:

By latest Beta, do you mean

Latest Beta Driver 241 MB 13.11 Beta 12/3/2013

It sounds promising.

I have never ever EVER installed new drivers and gained SO much. In total I've gained a 29% increase in FPS!!!

To say I'm gob smacked is an understatement. Its like I've gone out and brought a new GPU. The difference in performance is astounding. Not just performance but smoothness. My whole system feels like it's not mine.

I thought P3D was good, now I think its AMAZING.

I have an AMD HD7950 nothing blistering but reasonable. I have been running the 13.4 drivers. I tried to update to the latest drivers but my computer would not under ANY circumstances load them. Yes, I've jumped through all the hoops with no luck. With FSX updating drivers was more or less a pointless exercise anyway.

AFTER 3 hours of trying, I'd managed to get the 13.9 drivers to stick. That was until they crashed and so did my PC and widows reported that no drivers were installed. After trying what I'd done before to no avail, I'd had enough and downloaded the latest beta drivers. I'd seen a glimpse of what new drivers can do, and before the crash, had taken some measurements.

Beta drivers work ok so far and the difference is bloody marvellous.

my experience of FSX and drivers, and even new video cards has been pointless. Times have now changed.

By latest Beta, do you mean

Latest Beta Driver 241 MB 13.11 Beta 12/3/2013

It sounds promising.

Yes :) but didn't experience any further improvement over 13.9 which managed to get recognised until a reboot.

Ah you're using an AMD card so your 29% increase still cost 38% less than what you would pay for a similarly performing Nvidia :lol:

Fixed

Edit: OOOoooo look at the nVidia defense force out in good numbers today  :lol:

I guess I'll add then , just for DoubleJ, also 100% more anti-aliasing  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hope this don't turn into a war Nvidia Vs AMD GPU we had enough of this in FSX forum long time ago . To the Op all for the best if you are getting great performance congrats mate enjoy it. As for Nvidia don't worry we will get our chance also. 

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Nah, that's a battle not worth fighting here.

Maybe someday we'll catch up to 2009  :lol:

I only edited my post because all 4 rank notifications came within minutes of my post, and I thought that was amusing.

I don't want no trouble  :ph34r:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Settle down lol I was simply astounded that for the first time in MY flight swimming history, video drivers actually did anything!

I personally think that's a great omen for the future, for everyone.

Yes :) but didn't experience any further improvement over 13.9 which managed to get recognised until a reboot.

Thanks for the info.  I thought I noticed things were running unusually smooth after one of the updates.  I wasn't watching closely enough at the time.  Thanks for letting me know the improvements stopped at 13.9.  I have that already and things are running great.  It you hadn't let me know that was the driver I would have starting chasing my tail with the 13.11drivers.

Settle down lol I was simply astounded that for the first time in MY flight swimming history, video drivers actually did anything!

No I absolutely agree, so far the 13.11 9.5s have been really good, I just haven't been running them long enough to really say anything definitive (stability etc).

Regards,

Brian Doney

It really does seem like ATI users are finally getting cut a break for once.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

That is great news i use both Nvidia & ATI GPU an i personally think both runs very well with my rig. I haven't had time to try out P3D V2 with my 7970 but will report back when i get chance. 

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

It really does seem like ATI users are finally getting cut a break for once.

I suppose.

In all honesty though, they have been on par with nv for a few years now, it just seems to take a very long time for that to sink in.

I was nv only up until the 6 series, having listened to the "wise advice" here that nv was the only way...well...yeah...no...

Both are fine choices. 

No...really....both...let it sink in.

:lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney