Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

Last Passenger Flight for the DC-10

Whaaaat? This is actually very sad news! One of my top 5 favourite aircraft has fulfilled it's duty, RIP DC-10  :Cry:

Jesse Casserly 👌🏼

Add me as a friend to go fly on MSFS: JesseC757

https://www.youtube.com/user/JesseCasserly757

💻 i7-10750H 2.6 GHz / 5.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD, RTX 2080 Super

Saitek X-56 HOTAS

:mellow: :huh: :O :( :Cry:

Sad news.  She will be missed and never forgotten.  42 years of service.  Wow!

Does anybody know the registration of this last DC-10 from Biman?

I want to make a tribute video with information on the DC-10 and the last Biman for youtube, but after googling, I can't find any info.  I also misread the CNN article and thought this particular one was flying from 1971.

It would really help if I got the registration so I can look up the history of this particular aircraft like previous operators, year it was produced, etc.

Thanks, Edetroit.  I don't know if I'm reading it wrong but I don't see the registration on there.  All Biman DC-10 are S2-AC#.

Its nice that they are doing a flight just for people who want to ride on a DC-10 one last time. I rode on my fair share of DC-10s  when dad flew them at United in the late 90's and early 2000's. 8 hours to Hawaii from KORD on -30's  was a fun flight I made the trip about 10 times (16 hours in the air for a 27 hour layover) and a few more from KLAX on the 10-10's. I hope FedEx keeps them around for a long while it'd be pretty awesome to fly the very jet that my dad flew as Fedex bought most of United's Dc-10's............Actually it'd be pretty awesome just to get a job at FedEx or any airline for that matter.

DW

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks.  Pretty interesting.  Looks like they're keeping it in the air a little while longer because it will still be flying until the 31st of this month.  I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Its nice that they are doing a flight just for people who want to ride on a DC-10 one last time. I rode on my fair share of DC-10s  when dad flew them at United in the late 90's and early 2000's. 8 hours to Hawaii from KORD on -30's  was a fun flight I made the trip about 10 times (16 hours in the air for a 27 hour layover) and a few more from KLAX on the 10-10's. I hope FedEx keeps them around for a long while it'd be pretty awesome to fly the very jet that my dad flew as Fedex bought most of United's Dc-10's............Actually it'd be pretty awesome just to get a job at FedEx or any airline for that matter.

DW

You're so lucky.  I bet you got to check out the cockpit too because your dad was the pilot.

I can't get enough of the DC-10, from the looks, the sound, those beautiful cockpit windows, etc.

I flew long haul on a Garuda DC-10-30 three times.  Biak/Honolulu/LAX, LAX/Honolulu/Biak, and finally the first route again.  It was 8hrs to Honolulu and 5hrs to LAX.

Arrived at LAX at night.  The view with all the lights was absolutely beautiful.

Now that you've mentioned FedEx, I wonder if the pilots prefer the original 3-man cockpit or the updated MD-10?

Thanks.  Pretty interesting.  Looks like they're keeping it in the air a little while longer because it will still be flying until the 31st of this month.  I'll have to keep an eye on this.

You're so lucky.  I bet you got to check out the cockpit too because your dad was the pilot.

I can't get enough of the DC-10, from the looks, the sound, those beautiful cockpit windows, etc.

I flew long haul on a Garuda DC-10-30 three times.  Biak/Honolulu/LAX, LAX/Honolulu/Biak, and finally the first route again.  It was 8hrs to Honolulu and 5hrs to LAX.

Arrived at LAX at night.  The view with all the lights was absolutely beautiful.

Now that you've mentioned FedEx, I wonder if the pilots prefer the original 3-man cockpit or the updated MD-10?

I got to see it a few times but as standbys most of the time we got on right before they shut the doors so not all that often. I did get to watch dad preflight a 744 from the jump seat which was pretty neat. And when he was going through 747 training I spent the day with him at the training center sat through all of the classes ect was pretty board (10 years old) but at the end of the day I got to fly UAL's full motion 744 sim for an hour which was amazing. Wish I could go back now and sit through all those classes would help the the upcoming PMDG 744 lol

As for the MD-10 most of the fedex guys dad and I have talked to don't like the MD-10 cockpit they said it kinda ruined the DC-10

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I got to see it a few times but as standbys most of the time we got on right before they shut the doors so not all that often. I did get to watch dad preflight a 744 from the jump seat which was pretty neat. And when he was going through 747 training I spent the day with him at the training center sat through all of the classes ect was pretty board (10 years old) but at the end of the day I got to fly UAL's full motion 744 sim for an hour which was amazing. Wish I could go back now and sit through all those classes would help the the upcoming PMDG 744 lol

As for the MD-10 most of the fedex guys dad and I have talked to don't like the MD-10 cockpit they said it kinda ruined the DC-10

Awesome story.  Can't believe your dad flew both the 744 and DC-10.  Probably the queens of heavies, IMO.  Thanks for sharing.

I had a feeling original DC-10 pilots wouldn't like the MD-10 cockpit as much.  It seems a lot of pilots who really like the DC-10 are more old school.  It's also nice to have a third set of eyes from the flight engineer.

I'll miss this bird.  I used to commute between KIAD and KLAX on UA and the service was frequently a DC-10.  I liked the aircraft and the sound of the fans on takeoff was something special!

DJ