Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Turbulence question

Hi everyone,

I can't figure out how to get proper turbulence in FSX with Opus. It might just be me, but I always feel like my aircraft is way more stable than it should be. I release the yoke and it's barely going off the path. Even in bad weather is still pretty stable. I have all smoothing options disabled in Opus, GRIB disabled, turbulence and variance smoothing disabled in FSUIPC, "Disable turbulence effects on aircraft" in FSX is unchecked. 

I read the manual it says something about turbulence effects and DHM. I am getting confused here. When I enable these DHM effects, it will only effect the position of the eyepoint rather than the aircraft itself, right? I am using EZdok for my views and effects right now. All I want is some realistic and noticable turbulence.

I hope you can help me.

Do NOT turn off any of the recommended options in the LWE, those stabilisation options have nothing to do with turbulence. Please make sure you DO read and follow the Recommended Practices for the LWE. Set all defaults, Adjust Options Automatically, set Sim Friendly, specify Destination and Cruise Altitude etc..

As for DHM. Yes DHM does move the eye point ... You MUST NOT run EZCA at the same time as that will destroy any effects.

But ... The Bump Aircraft option in the DHM menu does what it says. It is totally synchronised to the DHM and creates the turbulent bumps. It moves the aircraft !

So please read and follow my last post and please, please read the manuals or at least the Recommended Practices for the weather engine.

No weather injected means no turbulence ... That is when it is called for (see above).

Turn OFF all other sources of weather ... Turn OFF all FSUIPC4 effects and smoothing.

Its up to you whether you enable or disable the FSX effects, that's all explained in the manual which you should read.

But you will NOT get anything if you are using EZCA. You cannot have two programs trying to change the eye point ... There is only one eye point you know. So shut down EZCA and follow the instructions I have written above then you will be fine. You will get turbulence when the LWE determines it is turbulent air.

Stephen

Sorry .. This is the same as the Does DHM Work topic so please read that for an answer.

Its quite straight forward ... Remove EZCA, configure DHM, inject Opus Weather.

See the other topic.

Stephen

Do NOT turn off any of the recommended options in the LWE, those stabilisation options have nothing to do with turbulence. Please make sure you DO read and follow the Recommended Practices for the LWE. Set all defaults, Adjust Options Automatically, set Sim Friendly, specify Destination and Cruise Altitude etc..

As for DHM. Yes DHM does move the eye point ... You MUST NOT run EZCA at the same time as that will destroy any effects.

But ... The Bump Aircraft option in the DHM menu does what it says. It is totally synchronised to the DHM and creates the turbulent bumps. It moves the aircraft !

So please read and follow my last post and please, please read the manuals or at least the Recommended Practices for the weather engine.

No weather injected means no turbulence ... That is when it is called for (see above).

Turn OFF all other sources of weather ... Turn OFF all FSUIPC4 effects and smoothing.

Its up to you whether you enable or disable the FSX effects, that's all explained in the manual which you should read.

But you will NOT get anything if you are using EZCA. You cannot have two programs trying to change the eye point ... There is only one eye point you know. So shut down EZCA and follow the instructions I have written above then you will be fine. You will get turbulence when the LWE determines it is turbulent air.

Stephen

Sorry .. This is the same as the Does DHM Work topic so please read that for an answer.

Its quite straight forward ... Remove EZCA, configure DHM, inject Opus Weather.

See the other topic.

Stephen

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply, but there is something I don't understand. Do the DHM turbulence options only effect the eyepoint or also the aircraft itself? I don't care about effects on the eyepoint, I just want turbulence on the aircraft.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The DHM Bump Aircraft oprion moves the aircraft.

Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl. Does the same apply for the other DHM turbulence options?

The Bump Aircraft options in the DHM dialog move the aircraft synchronously with the head movements. So YES, this option affects the aircraft's motion.

So the 3D accelerometer data affects both the DHM (head or eye point movements) and the Bump Aircraft (aircraft turbulence effects).

Please read my posts and the documentation. The latest release gives three different degrees of freedom for the aircraft turbulent motions along with a delay factor adjustment and a slider adjustment.

We have received a great deal of praise for the ultra realistic DHM and aircraft turbulence effects, including from very experienced airline captains. The new ButtKicker turbulent vibrations is also synchronised with the recorded 3D accelerometer data.

So YES ... The OpusFSX RW captured 3D accelerometer data can, just like the RW, affect the head movements (DHM), aircraft motions (Bump Aircraft), and seat or platform vibrations (ButtKicker).

Stephen

The captured 3D accelerometer data recorded the aircraft motions in all phases of flight including recording both low and high frequency turbulent motions.

This RW data was recorded on board a 737-800 (selected by the Heavy option, also for jets) and on board our own Europa XS G-OSLD (selected by the Light option, also for piston aircraft).

This data is used to determine ALL head movements (DHM), aircraft motions (Bump Aircraft, also configured in the DHM dialog), and the seat or platform vibrations (ButtKicker effects).

ALL turbulence effects are supervised or controlled by the Live Weather Engine in real time, the LWE basically determines the strength or severity of the turbulent motions. That's why you must update the weather before you get any turbulence.

Stephen

Thank you Stephen for your reply. I can't believe I have never known about this since I've bought Opus. I should have read the manual, but I have never really taken the time for that. I must say I think DHM sounds a bit misleading, because it made me think the DHM effects do nothing more than shake effects etc. like EZCA currently does. In the meantime I have bought EZCA which has turned out to have been a waste of money.

One more question: Do I need to have the DHM -VC option checked to get the turbulence effects to enable?

Sorry for all the questions that I am asking. I can't try it all out myself as I am not at my PC right now.

DHM is applicable to the Virtual cockpit, 2D (scenic) or Aircraft (external) view types. DHM will be most effective when used in conjunction with Virtual cockpit views.

Cheryl

Ok, so I started playing with DHM. It initially worked fine and was quite impressed, but I had to disable EZCA of course. I had a few problems with views switching upon pressing the trim switches so I exited FSX to change the settings, and uninstalled EZCA too. Then I went back to FSX with Opus and the screen start started flickering violently between two views. The manual doesn't say anything about this. I tried starting TrackIR before and after starting Opus, to no avail. Help please.

Did you remember to run the EZCA configuration utility and select the "Restore" function to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise EZCA camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files and can cause problems. 

Sounds like you had the same key/button assigned to both switching Opus views and the trim switch. You must ensure the keys/buttons you assign to switching OpusFSX camera views are not currently in use elsewhere on your system (FSX, FSUIPC etc). 

Also you must set up TrackIR properly according to our documentation (renaming manifest files etc) otherwise you will get the flickering views.

Cheryl

Did you remember to run the EZCA configuration utility and select the "Restore" function to restore all camera views to FSX default, otherwise EZCA camera definitions are not removed from the aircraft config files and can cause problems. 

Sounds like you had the same key/button assigned to both switching Opus views and the trim switch. You must ensure the keys/buttons you assign to switching OpusFSX camera views are not currently in use elsewhere on your system (FSX, FSUIPC etc). 

Also you must set up TrackIR properly according to our documentation (renaming manifest files etc) otherwise you will get the flickering views.

Cheryl

Unfortunately I forgot to run the EZCA Restore utility. I did just find out I had to do that though. Is there a way I can still do this? By installing it and running the Restore tool?

I don't have problems with the key assigments, I have got them set correctly now.

You will probably have to reinstall EZCA again to use their Restore utility unless you can find a standalone copy of their Restore utility, not sure whether it is a standalone utility.

Cheryl

You will probably have to reinstall EZCA again to use their Restore utility unless you can find a standalone copy of their Restore utility, not sure whether it is a standalone utility.

Cheryl

Reinstalling it is no problem, but isn't the Restore tool now going to think the current settings are the default settings? Or are the default settings stored in the program by default? That was the reason I was asking.

It should remove any EZCA definitions and restore the FSX defaults, that is all we need before adding our own definitions.

Cheryl