Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Turbulence question

Thank you Cheryl and Stephen for you great support. I got everything working just fine a few hours ago and I'm now experimenting with the settings. I quite like the turbulence, in the NGX it sometimes gets a little violent after takeoff which is great. In the 777 I can't notice a lot but I guess that's because of FBW which is automatically correcting for it.

I have one more problem though. My "Include Wing Flex Data" option seems to get disabled automatically all the time. I like to have this enabled because you see the speed tape hopping up and down a little all the time. Any ideas?

Hi Arjen

Glad to hear you have it all up and running. The 'Include Wing Flex' option is automatically reset if you have the 'Use Maximum Stabilisation' option set. So you could try turning the Max Stab option OFF, you probably don't need it with release version 3.37.5 anyway.

Don't forget to enable the FSX turbulence and thermal effects if you want to see wing flex.

Stephen :-)

Hi Arjen

Glad to hear you have it all up and running. The 'Include Wing Flex' option is automatically reset if you have the 'Use Maximum Stabilisation' option set. So you could try turning the Max Stab option OFF, you probably don't need it with release version 3.37.5 anyway.

Don't forget to enable the FSX turbulence and thermal effects if you want to see wing flex.

Thank you Stephen. Do I need the "Use Maximum Stabilisation" enabled to get the other stabilisation options to work? Can I still get gusts and variance with stabilisation options on? Because I barely encounter gusts, a little variance sometimes, but gusts, pretty much never see them even though they are reported.

Just make sure you always have the Enable Wind Stabilisation and Automatic Wind Stabilisation options turned ON. The Use Maximum Stabilisation simply adds surface temperatures and pressure to the stabilisation mechanism. You should be OK without the Max Stab option if you are using 3.37.5 which includes improved stabilisation in the climb and descent.

If you have problems I could remove the auto adjustment of the Include Wing Flex option. I might just do that now since the other measures have proved successful.

Stephen

Just make sure you always have the Enable Wind Stabilisation and Automatic Wind Stabilisation options turned ON. The Use Maximum Stabilisation simply adds surface temperatures and pressure to the stabilisation mechanism. You should be OK without the Max Stab option if you are using 3.37.5 which includes improved stabilisation in the climb and descent.

If you have problems I could remove the auto adjustment of the Include Wing Flex option. I might just do that now since the other measures have proved successful.

Stephen

And what about gusts and wind variance, will they still work with stabilisation enabled?

Yes, all that will work just fine. The LWE supervises and coordinates all turbulence and is totally independent of the stabilised data injected into the sim. All turbulence parameters, both injected into the sim and the more extensive Opus internal parameters are set based on the raw pre-stabilised data. Hence, all the LWE Stabilisation options have absolutely NO impact on the turbulence control and resulting DHM, Aircraft, and ButtKicker effects.

Yes, all that will work just fine. The LWE supervises and coordinates all turbulence and is totally independent of the stabilised data injected into the sim. All turbulence parameters, both injected into the sim and the more extensive Opus internal parameters are set based on the raw pre-stabilised data. Hence, all the LWE Stabilisation options have absolutely NO impact on the turbulence control and resulting DHM, Aircraft, and ButtKicker effects.

Do gusts and variance fall under turbulence? I rarely notice gusts and variance so that was the reason I was asking about it. When I press SHIFT + Z or look on my ND, I see a stable reading 99%. Some variance occasionally, but gusts, can't remember the last time I have seen those. Is that normal?

They are intelligently factored into the turbulence calculations. But variance has less impact than you might suspect. Strong winds and wind gusts will have a stronger effect in the lower altitudes, far less impact as you climb higher, and little effect at higher altitudes away from the frictional effects of the land or sea. This is all perfectly normal. We had fairly strong gusts the other day which were only felt below about 1800 feet AGL.

Stephen

We have received numerous compliments and a great deal of praise from many experienced RW pilots and experienced airline pilots.

Stephen

Remember wind gusts and variance is associated with surface conditions and has much less affect at higher elevations as you climb out of the surface effects.

Stephen

But my point was that I am rarely getting the gusts. Not even at the surface of an airport. Let's take an airport with bad weather: KHND, wind 20022G32KT. If I load up my plane at this airport and press SHIFT+Z it reports 200/22, and it stays on that, while I expect the wind speed to hop around between 22 and 32 KT, but that's not what it's doing.

Don't know why you are asking me about that. FSX handles all the ambient winds including wind gusts and variance. None of this stuff can be controlled in real time by any program.

If you display the Opus Local Weather Report and see a wind gust statement or variability defined there then it has been specified or injected into the sim. It does not matter what Stabilisation options you have set, they have nothing to do with it. The gust and variability is injected with the surface wind layer and FSX or P3D does the rest.

Can't really say I've ever noticed the shift-Z ribbon being that sensitive. Never really looked at it while flying or sitting on the runway. Too busy checking the Opus weather reports to see what weather has been injected and check the wind gradients for the climb.

None of this is controlled by any weather engine, its purely part if the internal simulation.

I have noticed the simulated wind sock moving to and fro usually quite gently. Opus will inject the reported wind gusts and reported wind variance, the variance has to be adjusted some times to accommodate the FSX need for symmetric variances. That's about it. But this stuff is all inside the sim. The LWE will increase the turbulence parameters accordingly to take account of the reported winds, including gusts etc..

Stephen