Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

FPS - Unlocked? Limited? Or Limited externally.

I wrongly posted my thoughts on this in another thread due to Friday night distractions. Huge apologies to that thread.

After about 3-4 days running FPS limited within the sim. And a week unlimited, I'm now running them limited to 33 externally.

What are everyone's views on which performs better? Not FPS wise, but from a smoothness aspect.

The internal limiter isn't quite up to scratch IMO. 

Causes a heck of a lot more stuttering with my set up, locked to 30. (yet achieving only 28 for some reason)

When unlocked, the frames go into the 50s and is fairly smooth, although the occasional stutter is still present here and there.

I tried internally locking to 33 as well, sim was still a stuttery mess.

I'm now looking to try external limiters, but have no clue where to start.

I read someones post about DXtory, but later on it's reported that it doesn't work in full screen, which is a deal-breaker to me. 

Aamir Thacker

I've always advocated the limiting of frames within FSX, by not doing so you're simply shifting the emphasis for the CPU to maximise frames at the sacrifice of loading textures, that's why so many complain about blurries when running unlimited. However, there are many who swear that on their particular system, running unlimited is the best for them. As for P3Dv2, where the coding has changed and different cores have been allocated different workloads (this is my understanding) then it may be that running unlimited has a completely different outcome than running unlimited in FSX. I'd suggest that the simple answer is to do some tests and check things out for your particular rig.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have an AMD card which is the black sheep, as far as FSX is concerned. Radeon Pro, the equivalent of NI allows you to lock your frames externally.

I know which mode appears (still need to test it for longer than a few days) to work best and was just wondering what the general opinion is.

Vsyn on and fps locked at 33 is the only way I get no stutters

Totally agree with Howard

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I've had luck with the external limiter recommended on the Bojote site.

I've had the best luck internally limited at 45.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

My FPS don't vary wildly over consecutive intervals and I don't get stutters. Hence I have stayed with unlimited and no external limiter. If I use the internal limiter and set it to 30, I basically lose about 5-8 fps except around really big airports. Of course, that's what the frame rate limiter is supposed to do. I could turn up a few settings and then the there would be no impact at all of the internal limiter, but then frame rates go below 18 around big airports. It's a balancing act.

I'm now looking to try external limiters, but have no clue where to start.

I read someones post about DXtory, but later on it's reported that it doesn't work in full screen, which is a deal-breaker to me. 

Since you have an nVidia card, have you tried nVidia Inspector? Just google for nvidia inspector fsx.

As to the topic, for me, externally limited by the driver and fsx set to unlimited works best.

Like every other graphics or system setting, I think it's best to test every configuration and find what works best for you (and then force yourself not to try something else... :lol: ).

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I've always advocated the limiting of frames within FSX, by not doing so you're simply shifting the emphasis for the CPU to maximise frames at the sacrifice of loading textures, that's why so many complain about blurries when running unlimited. However, there are many who swear that on their particular system, running unlimited is the best for them. As for P3Dv2, where the coding has changed and different cores have been allocated different workloads (this is my understanding) then it may be that running unlimited has a completely different outcome than running unlimited in FSX. I'd suggest that the simple answer is to do some tests and check things out for your particular rig.

That's what I found with my system - unlike FSX, running with unlimited actually cured the blurries when running with FTXG...

P3D 2 really requires a fresh look when thinking about how the engine interprets settings/tweaks.

I think LM have stated that with frames limited, frames are buffered and will result in smoother flight but lower FPS overall. I've not seen mention of what happens when they are limited externally. Does the buffer still apply? It certainly is the default way to run FSX and does it still apply to v2?

My experience is that Its smoother if the frames are locked. Has anyone tested them locked internally and externally. Is there a difference? I'm now testing them locked externally, but cannot decide if theirs a significant difference between the two.

No difference for me either with the 73 or the 77. However, with the Flight1 BE20 I get stutters when locked internally, so, I went with external locking.

Since you have an nVidia card, have you tried nVidia Inspector? Just google for nvidia inspector fsx.

Yep, doesn't seem to work for me :(

Aamir Thacker

Frame limiter at 39 works super smooth and stutter free in my case.