Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Try this amazing trick!

Good Lord...

I'm sitting on 07 w/ engines running in the RA Duke, REX weather, and notice a huge jump in frames just by having a mouse-click drop down menu displaying.  The amazing thing is you can fly w/ this open and retain the huge frame rate increase.  The same happened when I took this to KSEA area, only lower numbers:  about 28-29 on 34R then up to 52 or so w/ a drop down menu displaying.  

I have all the DX-11 features maxed except shadows one notch back from Ultimate, and I do have vegetation and all other shadows on.  Perhaps it's a red herring and the fraps counter miscounted?  Interestingly, the mouse pointer performance penalty which is very prominent in FSX is almost completely absent in V2, and yet this glaring increase in frame rate bespeaks a weird issue.  If the sim can run as those frame rates while flying, and it sure does, this implies there is a giant choke somewhere in the application, wouldn't you think that is unmasked when a drop down menu happens to be showing?  Try it and see if you get similar results.  If this happens w/ other users/planes it would be worth sharing w/ LM as double frame rates is nothing to scoff at.  To be accurate the increase was not always double, but it was always big and when flying around areas near PHNL frames went from 60 to 108 in the Duke. 

post-101053-0-27963700-1386396575.jpg 

post-101053-0-41734500-1386396612.jpg

Have't tried this trick w/ other aircraft...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

That's not an accurate frame count... with the menu having the focus, FRAPS is seeing it's frame rate, not the background window which is the actual sim.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

That's not an accurate frame count... with the menu having the focus, FRAPS is seeing it's frame rate, not the background window which is the actual sim.

Very correct.  Although I sure did a double take the first time I saw it happen! :O

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

When I saw the title of the thread, I grinned and thought "Its just been out a few days, and we already have Miracle Cure threads"

This is going to be an interesting ride, apparently.  :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

OK well I kinda thought so but wasn't sure.  I wonder if that is what we are seeing with the mouse pointer visible impact--one can 'park' the pointer on the top menu bar in full screen mode in FSX and frame rate would climb but I really believe frame rate did go up because this was reflected in the simulation video which smoothed out and improved as frame rate climbed up.  And this in turn makes me wonder if the explanation you are providing is really accurate.  For starters, fraps doesn't jump over to the item in focus.  The acid test is easy to do--just go to an ultra dense area w/ max settings so you have a frame rate of say 18 or even 15.  Do the 'trick' and see--you'll easily note a change in video quality if the explanation here is not valid.

Also, whenver the sim suddenly drops frame rate it has been explained that it may be V2 'losing focus' and we were advised to 'just click somewhere in the VC....' to restore focus.   Now it seems we are explaining two opposite changes w/ the same explanation-if frames go up it's because another window or process now has focus, and if frames go down it's because another window or process now has focus.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm not sure why you didn't used shift+z for this test.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I'm not sure why you didn't used shift+z for this test.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Well there ya go--I'm not sure either!  OK, will go give that a try right now n see, which maybe you have done already?

Noel

Hi folks!

I get the same result as he has. Whenever the menu is displayed, I have fewer frames than when it isn't. I can see a 10-15FPS difference when I hide the menu bar. It was quite surprising at first. From that time onwards, I hid the bar whenever I use P3D V2. I posted this kind of "trick" in the tips and tricks section of the forum.

Cheers!

Frederick

This seems to be more of a "Focus" issue than the actual menus being displayed.

I am at ORBX Coffs Harbour getting about 80 FPS, Full Screen, no menu bar displayed, active runway, doing nothing.

If I right click on the screen to bring up the right click menu FPS drop to about 65.

However if I leave the right click menu displayed and just move the mouse pointer around on the screen the FPS return to 80.

Ok back at ORBX Coffs Harbour getting about 80 FPS, Full Screen, no top menu bar displayed ,active runway, doing nothing.

I hit ALT to bring up the menu bar and FPS drop to 60.

But left clicking anywhere on the screen brings the FPS back to 80, with the menu bar still displayed.

So on my system hiding or showing either menu
makes no difference as long as the focus is returned to the display area.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.