Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

How much VRAM does P3D v2 use on your system ?

GPU benchmark results rarely translate well to real world use. 13% gain.. So if you were getting 30FPS before you're now getting 34FPS or if 60, now 68.. Very meh..   If the benchmark percentage even scales that well to a particular game.. It usually doesn't..  This is why I always skip a generation..  Anyone on a 500 series right now wins whatever 700 series they pick. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Well damn....

I just bought 2 780ti classifieds last night.  I am only running 1920x1080 though.  Should I have gotten 2 Titans instead?

The test I was referring to was with an EVGA 780 Ti SuperClocked overclocked vs Titan

Think you missed an edit ... vs. stock Titan sounds about right.  But dang, that 780Ti SC is seriously overclocked 1006 Mhz - kudos to EVGA to make that work!  I haven't seen any performance test done comparing the 780Ti 3GB vs. Titan 6GB where the test was capable of exceeding 3GB VRAM ... I think in those situations (like in P3DV2) you will see a drastic drop-off in performance for the 780Ti 3GB.

But if you're looking to future proof (as best as one can given the speed of GPU improvements every year) a GPU - especially for high resolutions like multiple monitors and/or 4K, then I would opt. for more VRAM.

I know that the moment I commit to either a 780 or a Titan, the prices will drop the very next day, or else a better card will be introduced.... :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter.. Don't fall into the consumer purchase circle..  When I lived in Vermont I worked for Circuit City for two years.. I kid you not I knew customers I met the first day, who still came in my last days there and still pulling the old "I heard prices are dropping" or the "I heard a new model with such and such features is due out next month" and it was always. "I think I'll just wait a bit more"..   Finally comes a time they are so outdated they are forced a heavy hand to reluctantly actually purchase something.  Usually resulting in a response of "Jeez, why didn't I do this sooner?"  :lol: This happens in all circles of technology from cell phones, to TVs. 

Just ignore all the stats, benchmarks, and various other stuff.. Buy a 780Ti and enjoy your gaming..  I bought my 680 Twin Frozrs and weeks later the 700s were announced.. I didn't regret it a bit, the 700's wouldn't make my gaming experience any different if I did own them instead.. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

On a side note, how come no one is trying out the AMD's top GPU in P3DV2?  Or are they?

On a side note, how come no one is trying out the AMD's top GPU in P3DV2?  Or are they?

Soon will be. They say its the bees knees. So ill find how full of BS they are!

So ill find how full of BS they are!

Please do report back ... if they are good, I would think two of them would be a great cost effective alternative for P3DV2.1.

Please do report back ... if they are good, I would think two of them would be a great cost effective alternative for P3DV2.1.

Geez Louise!! Pretty soon we will need a box just for the graphics cards lol.

Bob

Geez Louise!! Pretty soon we will need a box just for the graphics cards

haha ... well "need" is a relative term, if one can restrain oneself from moving those sliders to the right ... sadly I have no such self control :)

haha ... well "need" is a relative term, if one can restrain oneself from moving those sliders to the right ... sadly I have no such self control :)

yep, relative is the correct term. I went from a gtx570 1.2gig to the gtx760 4gig and what a difference. With stock scenery I have everything maxed (default textures) and locked at 28 and doing fine.

I am oc'd on the cpu to 4.7, which does help a little I am sure. I am wondering now that the stress has been relieved from the cpu, if it might be fruitful to see if I can now oc the cpu a little bit more?

Bob

From LM. Does the AMD driver give you hint on platform development?

"GPU memory does factor into the OS memory limit. If you have a 32bit version of windows then you probably should not get a 4GB card. If you have a 64 bit version of windows then get whatever d3d11 card your heart desires - though it's a good idea to have more system memory to give the drivers room to cache resources. The drivers are 64 bit and can access all system and GPU memory and the directx runtime abstracts GPU memory into resources with 32 bit handles. Thus even a 32 bit app can use more than 4GB of video memory as long ad it does not keep system copies of all the resources. One of our graphics developers once created a bug that created a new full screen render target every frame. The AMD DRIVER on his machine started evicting resources and saving backups in system memory. it allocated 20GB of virtual memory before it finally crashed. Fun times."

Rob, here is a review which shows that the 780 Ti is faster than the Titan in almost every test :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-ti-review-benchmarks,3663.html

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I spoke with a tech at EVGA. In a nutshell, the higher clock speeds are more important when taking into consideration framerate.

The kicker for me was finding out your system will only utilize VRAM on one card in SLI.

I spoke with a tech at EVGA. In a nutshell, the higher clock speeds are more important when taking into consideration framerate.

The kicker for me was finding out your system will only utilize VRAM on one card in SLI.

It actually uses the VRAM on both.. It's just mirrored on the other one. Hence "Alternate Frame Rendering"..   

Edit: Fixed a wrong word.. Dumb phone auto-correct.  :lol: