Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Buying PMDG 737 NGX - some questions and concerns

With respect to ATC when I fly any of our airplanes I effectively just act as my own ATC in my head. Pretend like the radio doesn't work and just fly the IFR flightplan the way it's published in the charts and then "vector yourself" onto the approach if necessary at the end. FSX ATC is really unrealistic and it's not going to behave well with any realistic addon unless you do things like only use it for the enroute portion. (pick up IFR clearance in the air, cancel it before descent etc)

Other options if you really want ATC:

1. Fly on VATSIM or IVAO - this is obviously the most realistic thing assuming there's coverage.

2. Buy an ATC addon like RadarContact - it won't perfectly give you the SID/STAR clearances but it allows you to fly them without screwing up the overall flow of the ATC.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yes. Make sure you install the Saitek drivers properly and get hold of FSUIPC. It will help.

I know a bit off topic but what does installing the drivers do? I have the same yoke and just plugged it in and have used it without installing anything.

2. Buy an ATC addon like RadarContact - it won't perfectly give you the SID/STAR clearances but it allows you to fly them without screwing up the overall flow of the ATC.

This really helped me with the flying the PMDG 737. That program really adds something to the flying experience except sometimes it has you descend before your FMC TOD and will vector you in for your approach. You can though basically ignore RC4 and fly the whole ILS approach or whatever approach you want if RC4 doesn't offer you the entire approach as a option which it sometimes does. 

I will also add if you get a program called FS2crew to work with the PMDG you really don't need to do anything except configure the FMC which is not hard at all and go fly. 

And this is it - "configure FMC and go fly" - I am not about this. Totally. I want to say - THANK YOU all ppl here because I would just waste my money with this addon - that is not what I am looking for. 

Actually, thanks to posting about Qualitywings - I found my way. Half-simulated systems, good flight simulation and nice model + much cheaper. First I will go with 757. 

So now a new question is coming - are there any other companies which makes planes similar to QualityWings so nice looks and half-simulation approach with simplified FMC? 

Actually, thanks to posting about Qualitywings - I found my way. Half-simulated systems, good flight simulation and nice model + much cheaper. First I will go with 757.

Based on what you are looking for, the QW 757 is going to fit your needs perfectly, especially being able to create a FP in FSX then load it directly into the FMC. I have almost all airliners from other developers and the QW 757 is hands down my favorite.

Jay

@PIC007 yes, that is my way to go :) I love FSX for being so able to fit our needs. 

G_Precentralis - Do You mean Airbus X Extended? As far as I saw this is higly complex aircraft. Is there any other Airbus X? Can You provide a link? 

For now I downloaded freeware Project Airbus A320 - seems to look cool. 

Yes, Airbus X Extended - it looks good, flies good, have simplified FMC. FSLabs Airbus will be a higly complex aircraft, Airbus X Extended is not.

The Airbus X Extended really doesn't have a "simplified FMC" in the way that the likes of the QualitySim has........ The Airbus X Extended has a "partially implemented" (about 75%) version of the actual FMC and that's quite different to a simplified FMC.

I think, from what you're saying about your preferences, the QualityWings 757 is a good choice for you.   You can't for example, load a FSX flight plan into the Airbux X Extended, it's a far more complex simulation than that level.

The QW757 is a good choice, but the reason I suggested the QW146 Collection instead is because it is 3 years newer than the 757, so has better visuals, sounds and systems in some areas.  Eg.. it's just a more modern product.   But the QW757 is still enjoyed by a lot of people too.

Have fun!

Hi. Few days ago I asked here a question which was thoroughly answered - I asked about default jets overhauls, so I can get more out of the game, not paying much in the meantime. I own REX, FTX Global, GEX and Accufeel, but now it is time for some real flying. After watching some Youtube vids, I decided, that 737 NGX is my only way to go. This plane looks great, has great physics and is a masterpiece for FSX. 

But as a Sim-Pilot not RealWorld-Pilot I am definetly not into reading few hundred pages of manuals. I am a devoted simmer, but not to the point when every time I go to the toilet I take a huge plane manual with me and than I'm not able to walk because of sitting there for 3 hours (plus it is bad for Your health!). 

So I found a step by step guide to flying PMDG NGX 737 which is called "PMDG 737 from cold and dark to shutdown checklist" which I downloaded from the library here. This approx. 200 pages document covers whole flight from the beginning, till the end, including programming FMC. 

So my first question is: did anyone actually read it and will it be enough to get lot of fun out of this plane? My experience in FSX jets is limited to 737-800. I can use every function of it, I learned full checklist (although many things cannot be done because FSX default doesn't emulate them), but I am totally new to FMC. 

I have also more questions regarding this plane before I will put my 70 bucks order:

1. I don't have money for external flight planner. I fly mostly in Europe region. How can I create a flight plan in PMDG format?

2. I don't want to use SIDs & STARs because as far as I know default ATC doesn't recognize them (and I want to stay with default ATC, please don't ask why - just want and this is it). Am I able to use FSX internal flight planner or REX flight planner (the essentials plus version features real world flight plans) and fly the approach according to FSX ATC guidance? What I mean is - will the plane fly FMC flight plan which doesn't have SID/STAR? In default FSX I fly with GPS to last VOR, than I let ATC to be guided to the runway, than I use ILS and when I see the airport and I am approaching decision height, I switch off Auto PIlot and use PAPI lights to land - can I do this in PMDG?

3. Is the PMDG compatible with Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System and Multipanel from Saitek (will be shipped in few days... :) )

4. If I will go through the complete checklist mentioned above (from cold and dark...) will I be able to make any flight I want in the FSX? 

5. Is FMC very hard to learn? I don't want to use it very deeply. Just need to put my flight plan there, put fuel and passengers in plane and make it fly. I want to do approach from decision height manually. I don't want the plane to land itself. I also want to be able to fly approach manually if ATC will guide me to different runway or use something like heading knobs/height knobs/speed knobs just as in default plane (Saitek Multipanel is featuring those and I want to be able to use them)?

6. Are there any other things which I should concern? 

My rig: i5 3570K OC'd to 4,6 GHz, GTX 660Ti Oc'd to 1280/7000 MHz, 2x4GB COrsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

Thank You in advance, sorry for any mistakes (not my native language), sorry for any non-proffesional flight terms (if I used any) - I started with FSX month ago but it dragged me in. Really. :)

Watch a master in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoQshqTOPw&list=PLA3E3C4B1DBD8254E  This guy leaves no stone unturned and will explain everything for you. Best to add it to your favourites as there's a lot there. ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

My rig: i5 3570K OC'd to 4,6 GHz, GTX 660Ti Oc'd to 1280/7000 MHz, 2x4GB COrsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

Thank You in advance, sorry for any mistakes (not my native language), sorry for any non-proffesional flight terms (if I used any) - I started with FSX month ago but it dragged me in. Really. :)

To be honest, I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not purchase the NGX,

Especially given the system you have and add ons! You could run it no problem! I just wish I had your system when I got the NGX a year ago, and had to finally buy a better computer.

The NGX is the GOLD Standard for a fully simulated passenger jet right now!

(Not that others are not better or worse, but the NGX is what we compare everything to)

The first tutorial will get you up and running, that is what it was designed to do.

SIDs and Stars are not that big of a deal. I would suggest Vroute premium as a cost effective way to determine which SIDS or STaRs to use during a route.

You can also do an instrument approach to! But you will need to find a lot of these charts which can be found for free.

Just get it!

If you really don't want to spend the money, you can get the Airbus Extended for a complicated jet, (can be found on sale now for $31). And while i think the Airbus Extended is awesome, i still think everyone should own the NGX. Also, the NGX tutorial does a better job of teaching about SIDS and STARs. The NGX can also be very easy to land using the auto throttle and the HUD too.

B.

I recently purchased the 737 NGX after reading all the hoopla and rave reviews on it for a year or so. I have been a FSX GA guy for years, using FSX planner and such. I am now exploring the big iron side and I'm loving it.

I have had the Citation X for a few years and the FMC was always a mystery to me - just upload the default FSX flight planner's output and fly it. Now that I'm delving into more depth - particularly using VNAV along with LNAV - I have found that it is great fun and it adds another level to my simming. I have used my new knowledge of planning with the Citation X and Using RouteFinder I am able to enter the waypoints into the CDU and get a usable flight without buying any more addons. I will probably find that those addons make it easier yet, but alas, I have not enuf money for them.

You can find real flight plans used by real airlines at flightaware.com and use the "Forgot The Flight Number?" link on the left. Enter your departing and arrival airports, and the list that pops up will contain the plan used by various aircraft - match yours up and go. This works very well as long as your desired route has actual commercial planes using it (major airports in the U.S. basically). RouteFinder works with any airport, in my case, from off-the-beaten-path Canadian airports to any US airport.

I also recently purchased the Airbus A320/321 (formerly known as Airbux X Extended) which also has a complex FMC and, although it has a different menu and page appearance, I can program it to follow my flight plan just as well as the NGX.

Bottom line is that it really isn't all that hard - and it's the only way I know of to program the autopilot. Yes, you can manually set your altitude and it will follow your selected heading, but you might as well use it to be more like the real thing and program it up to follow a predetermined flight plan. You can do this with the default 737. Depends on if you want to take the next step or not.

Well... Only thing that convinces me more to 757 is this ATC. I don't know - call me an idiot - but ATC is one of the things which I really like in flying sim. As the default one doesn't use SIDS/stars I know I will have to make a choice... I downloaded some upgraded vc for stock 737-800 and with a very very basic fmc and started to use it - learned it fast and seems like über cool feature :)

TBH I thought that I decided to go 757 but post above again got me into "let's think about PMDG" state.... :))

Ok so one more (last) question - when doing ILS approach, will I be able to do it with default ATC headings, than VOR with omnibearing selector and than with pressing equivalent of appr button and in decision height turning to full manual? if yes damn me but I'm getting it

Ok so one more (last) question - when doing ILS approach, will I be able to do it with default ATC headings, than VOR with omnibearing selector and than with pressing equivalent of appr button and in decision height turning to full manual? if yes damn me but I'm getting it

With NGX you can do almost everything you imagine.

You can use autopilot Heading select or you can fly heading manually for ATC vectors.

You can fly raw data ILS, or you can fly it via flight director, or you can let autopilot land it automatically with possibility to take manual control at any stage.

Ok so one more (last) question - when doing ILS approach, will I be able to do it with default ATC headings, than VOR with omnibearing selector and than with pressing equivalent of appr button and in decision height turning to full manual?

All airliners can do this, but you use the ILS not VOR 99% of the time. The big diference based on your other posts is that the QW75 lets you load a FSX flight plan directly into the FMC

Jay

I will buy decent software for flight planning with ability to export to Pmgd format - is there a good one? Which should I choose? I resigned from saitek multipanel as it has many issues with non stock planes so I have extra 120 bucks for additional mods.

So if I will have a full flight plan loaded to fmc I can still make another flight plan in fsx so ATC understands it and use ATC during takeoff and landing and fmc PMDG flight plan during climb/cruise/descent when ATC tells me to rely on my own nav - if this is true I'm buying this sweetie (or actually my gf is buying it for me as Christmas present :)) - what other software should I definitely get for 100-120 bucks to make fsx better experience? (as I said I got ftx global, Rex, gsx and accufeel v2)

Btw - I'm really grateful that Avsim has such amazing community - Each one of You helped me in some way and this is great. My GF also told me: "You know You will finally get this plane because You always want to get what is best out of the situation You are in and in every case You check everything thoroughly to know everything about it so why the hell You want to limit Yourself?" - this was the final argument to convince me ;)