Sign in to follow this  
Mephic

Buying PMDG 737 NGX - some questions and concerns

@up and @upup - big thanks! That actually prooved I can use it with Sid and no ATC and without Sid with ATC whenever I want to.

I just started to watch YouTube tutorials for Pmgd with fs2crew but now I know I will not get fs2crew until I master PMDG systems as fs2crew is doing lot of work for you. Yes, this is realistic and you have to issue voice commands but tbh I feel that I need to know the plane inside out before I can command it.

PMDG - I am coming. PMDG pilots - please prepare to answer thousands of questions ;)

Thank You all I hope that this thread will answer some of people who are like me - afraid to make a big step forward but not so hard to convince to actually do this and have fun in the meantime. What I stated in first post - I'm calling it off. I already started my WC sessions with PMDG tutorials. :D

Thank You all for being such amazing and helpful community! Sending You a virtual but tasty polish beer ;)

I would not wait past Christmas as FS2Crew is on sale during the holiday season. You don't have to use it till you are ready!

B.

Ok but I will go only with ngx voice pack. Don't see myself in Arbus sooner than in 1 or 2 years. I really want to master PMDG :) btw - as I see PMDG manuals are really great. Introduction shows where and what can be found, there is a section about procedures during failures... ThIs will be an amazing adventure :)

Buy the NGX, install FS2Crew voice version, get used to manage FS2crew without the control panel visible, get used to fly online with real ATC (Ivao or Vatsim), and.....you will experience the closest thing to flying the real thing that a PC simulation can offer....believe me...

Regards

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

I want to fly pmdg alone first to understand result of pushing particular buttons, that's all to it right now. Vatsim is no go to me - I need to stop my gameplay often, I usually have a lot going on around. Don't want to be closest to real world. Want to be close :)

To everyone who convinced me to go PMDG way - THANK YOU!!!

I have no idea what I was afraid of. This plane is purely amazing, it's like a living organism which needs to be treated right to be rewarding.

I've just finished first tutorial and GOD that was a great experience!

Fmc is not scary at all - it actually made my life easier. I've just become NGX addict. And ATC.., what ATC?? SIDS & stars rocks!!

Once again - thank You!

Mephic, Welcome to the club! I agree with you that before using an add-on program like FS2Crew I want to know the jet. But, there is a lot to do and to me that is what makes it enjoyable, so I may never venture into the voice-control arena.

I did look at FS2Crew and I don't think I will go there. $40+ for just the PMDG version? I also fly the Aerosoft Airbus and it already has FO assistance choice which, by the way, is mind-blowing! (at least to my simple mind). While not voice activated, it is automatic and does make things more realistic.

That said, I can imagine FS2C making the NGX even better. They have a version that covers the NGX, Airbus, and ??? called the "Special Collection Set" but at Christmas time, my spending almost $80 on an addon for myself? I think not. I would be killed in my slumber by my wife and fambly.

After few flights I have to say - plane is great but now I know why real Boeing has two pilots (not only because one of them can have a seizure or an explosive diarrhea). FS2Crew is must from my POV. 

Anyway - I decided to try a flight (EPKK to EPWA) with FSX ATC + FSX default flight planner and it worked like a charm. Put a flight plan without SID and STAR (funny thing, EPKK doesn't even have a SID from what I saw there) into the FMC, all points as direct points (one after another). After takeoff I executed VNAV, ATC guided me to the first nav point, than told me to rely on my own nav so I executed LNAV and when I got the info that I passed the end of my flight plan from FMC, ATC was already giving me guidance to the chosen runway. Than just VOR/LOC, APP and decision height - AP off, landed this beauty manually on the ground (a bit foggy there but it didn't cause any problems). 

I also have to say that my whole flight took somewhere around 30 minutes (one missed approach because I forgot to choose vertical speed threshold), I almost ran out of fuel, but landed safely and most important - started from Cld&dark, ended with complete shutdown, making my experience better with GSX. 

Yes, this plane is a must have but I cannot wait my FS2Crew (in one week it'll be mine ;) )

Oh, I forgot - my beauty ;) (still stock livery but I will change it!)

2013-12-14_21-31-58-4cyfmy.jpg

Not like - love :) I just installed AirBerlin livery (btw kudos for this livery manager - monkey could use it). 

@up and @upup - big thanks! That actually prooved I can use it with Sid and no ATC and without Sid with ATC whenever I want to.

I just started to watch YouTube tutorials for Pmgd with fs2crew but now I know I will not get fs2crew until I master PMDG systems as fs2crew is doing lot of work for you. Yes, this is realistic and you have to issue voice commands but tbh I feel that I need to know the plane inside out before I can command it.

PMDG - I am coming. PMDG pilots - please prepare to answer thousands of questions ;)

Thank You all I hope that this thread will answer some of people who are like me - afraid to make a big step forward but not so hard to convince to actually do this and have fun in the meantime. What I stated in first post - I'm calling it off. I already started my WC sessions with PMDG tutorials. :D

Thank You all for being such amazing and helpful community! Sending You a virtual but tasty polish beer ;)

I actually found fs2crew helpful in learning the proper flows when I was starting out. The 737ngx is a great plane and was the first addon I ever purchased, therefore it was a big step for me and a lot to learn. Fs2crew took some of the pressure off and through repetition I learned all the necessary flows and callouts etc. When I first started there would be occasions in the cold and dark startup when I couldn't even figure out how to configure the panel to start my engines properly! Sometimes I do not use fs2crew now because I want to do everything myself quickly and often when I use fs2crew its for atmosphere or because its much easier to focus on flying a difficult approach if I can verbally call out commands without having to take my eyes off the approach to adjust controls (especially helpful in stormy weather). 

Nice... It seems fs2crew will give me lot of fun. Well... I've just got myself collection set with version for NGX and emergencies + airbusx which I'm buying next year :))

Yes - of You know what is where in the plane You can basically do any flow/checklist You want to. So to me first thing was mastering places of buttons/switches/knobs and now I almost know it. In the meantime I also learned what is doing what (at least in general). But really - I thought I won't be able to fly this plane with a checklist after few days in almost every conditions and do all the SIDS/stars, manual landings, etc. either this plane is hard for people who don't like flying and managing systems or I am talented :D but seriously - like it.

Although two things are bothering me : 1. Fan blades are not spinning 2. Logo light is always on regardless of switch position

That happens in AirBerlin livery which is official from PMDG. Not nice for that much money...

Well Im not doing real pilot stuff here. I'm using all the equipment the plane has for its normal operations together with nice checklist with comments based on real 737. I don't know what else can I get from the videos - I fly smoothly and economic wise, takeoff, land and got manual for failure reactions and this makes my experience good enough. Probably AOA videos would help me understand mechanics better but I got nice document which describes it so really, won't go this way. Plus there is plethora of free tutorials on YouTube covering all situations.

If you want to learn how to properly fly you need the Angle of Attack videos.

Not sure someone actually "needs" these videos to learn how to fly the plane properly. They certainly appear to be informative, but between watching many tutorials on youtube, reviewing boeing checklists and reading the manual I feel like I have a decent grasp of how to fly the plane properly. I am tempted at times to purchase the videos just because I am interested in the mechanics of the plane and more in depth information, but that is about it.