Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

GTX Titan stuttering (and general let-down) fix!

Hey peeps,

So, please move this if it should be in the grafx cards section but it's quite general and not tech-related, really. It's a heads-up to Titan owners who want to send the card back!

I just bought a GTX Titan as detailed in this post.

I spent about four hours last night, whilst watching my cricket team get humiliated by the Aussies, testing various scenarios, as I was about to start crying and throw away my whole rig and give up FSX for ever, I was that confused and disillusioned after spending what I could have bought a second-hand car with on a grafx card (draama!)

I couldn't get rid of the stuttering no matter what I tried. I used all forms of cfg, both DX9 and DX10, v3 shaders no shaders, sliders up and down. Weather and no weather - Nada.

This is not right, I told myself. I have a graphics card which can make coffee, what is going on?

I looked logically at it. All my problems seemed to revolve around heavy autogen and clouds, but it seemed to make very little difference if I turned them down! Anywhere else and it was super-smooth. It was such a regular per-frame stutter that I thought something else is limiting this card. What could it be?

Duh!

What if, I thought, I was limiting the card by telling it to "slow down" using FR limits in FSX, so I set FR to unlimited. OMG! It worked! I was seeing between 26-37FPS everywhere

Hmm, I thought..someone on another thread I can't find now talked about using external limiters, so I tried the one in NVI. Nothing. No difference. It still veered between 28-34.

DXTORY has a limiter, I thought (and it is the best for vids imo). I fired that up and BANG!! I now get absolutely locked frames at 30FPS everywhere. Literally, everywhere. All sliders to the right. Full 4096 textures, hi-def planes like 777 and RealAir.

So, if you have a Titan and it is underwhelming you - set it free! (it kicks a** in P3Dv2 as well :wink:)

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Just been through the same problems myself with a new 770. 

I was trying to get away with not deleting the FSX cfg but it just would not perform like my 580 did.

New cfg and inspector settings solved my issues. Locked at 30fps again half vsync through inspector.

FSX can be real female dog sometimes lol

Doogie

FSX can be real female dog sometimes lol

Word.

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hehe, nice post Jake! I ordered one but won't be able to test it till I'm home in a few weeks, Glad to hear its working great for you in FSX.

Rob Prest

Glad to hear its working great for you in FSX.

Thanks Rob. Honestly, you have no idea how relieved I am. I was absolutely gutted. I nearly cried! I was having so much purchase guilt anyway...

With DX10 and FTX Global it is now FSX11. Really.

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hey peeps,

So, please move this if it should be in the grafx cards section but it's quite general and not tech-related, really. It's a heads-up to Titan owners who want to send the card back!

I just bought a GTX Titan as detailed in this post.

I spent about four hours last night, whilst watching my cricket team get humiliated by the Aussies, testing various scenarios, as I was about to start crying and throw away my whole rig and give up FSX for ever, I was that confused and disillusioned after spending what I could have bought a second-hand car with on a grafx card (draama!)

I couldn't get rid of the stuttering no matter what I tried. I used all forms of cfg, both DX9 and DX10, v3 shaders no shaders, sliders up and down. Weather and no weather - Nada.

This is not right, I told myself. I have a graphics card which can make coffee, what is going on?

I looked logically at it. All my problems seemed to revolve around heavy autogen and clouds, but it seemed to make very little difference if I turned them down! Anywhere else and it was super-smooth. It was such a regular per-frame stutter that I thought something else is limiting this card. What could it be?

Duh!

What if, I thought, I was limiting the card by telling it to "slow down" using FR limits in FSX, so I set FR to unlimited. OMG! It worked! I was seeing between 26-37FPS everywhere

Hmm, I thought..someone on another thread I can't find now talked about using external limiters, so I tried the one in NVI. Nothing. No difference. It still veered between 28-34.

DXTORY has a limiter, I thought (and it is the best for vids imo). I fired that up and BANG!! I now get absolutely locked frames at 30FPS everywhere. Literally, everywhere. All sliders to the right. Full 4096 textures, hi-def planes like 777 and RealAir.

So, if you have a Titan and it is underwhelming you - set it free! (it kicks a** in P3Dv2 as well :wink:)

best

jake

Yeah, on my system (OC i7 with gtx 780), I need to set the fsx limiter for 45 for planes that are light on the system to get a smoother performance.

Have you done recording with DXTORY and how do you like it for that?

B.

Haven't tested this in FSX, but this "fix" didn't work for me in P3DV2, only seemed to induce a pulsation, using P3DV2 frame rate limiter provide a smoother experience even if a slightly lower FPS.  

But maybe I have it configured wrong?

P3DV2 - Unlimited frames

P3DV2 - VSync OFF

DXTORY - Limt Video FPS = 30 (checked)

Overall my FPS did seem to increase by about 3 fps, but it also "pulsated" along ... I found my original settings to (limited to 30 fps) worked better in terms of fluidity/smoothness.

However DXTORY does seem to use less fps when recording than Fraps.  And Fraps also has a tenancy to crash P3DV2 on startup (which requires a reboot to clear).

DXTory1.jpg

Set mine the same as Rob, still pretty stuttery for me.

Aamir Thacker

Set mine the same as Rob, still pretty stuttery for me.

vsync application is all that will fix that

I have a GTX Titan and using FPS at Unlimited seems to work great for me. Still with add-on airports though the FPS drops a ton but I am not exactly sure if that is something to do with the GTX Titan or how I have the cfg setup. 

I was under the impression setting the FPS at 30 makes FSX more stable or something? What does setting the FPS at 30 do exactly in regards to ones graphics card? 

Its the lack of Vsync. period

Added V-Sync but am still experiencing stutters.

Aamir Thacker

I have I7-4470k and 780 so less powerful. I had really poor performance but now it has all come good. A combination of starting again with my fsx.cfg, getting DX10SceneryFixer, setting nvidiainspector as per the guides (apart from LODBIAS -1 ALLOW), tweaking bufferpools  to a low rejectthreshold (stability and ram use reduction), highmemfix=1 and Processor Affinity = 84 (if HT is on), LOD  7.0

Honestly this whole debate about locked frames vs unlocked I think is a bit of a red herring, sure its true if you lock it at 30fps then you give your box some head room to work on tough bits when they come along and to that extent I wouldnt advise unlimited (certainly not external frame locking) but as for the OPs concerns over stuttering then something else is going wrong.

I am getting no stuttering whatsoever just a nice steady reduced frame rate under load (which is only at EGLL loads of rain, Ultimate traffic etc.) with average frame rate in south of england in the 20-40fps range depending on airport and thats with everything maxed/ rain/overcast windy and PMDG

I think it more likely you either have a poorly performing disk (mine is running of its own 128gb SSD) or you have something wrong in your FSX.CFG (messing with rejectparticlethreshold is a classic or BufferPools or TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT) that is causing overload of texture data/vertexes through your RAM/VRAM.

Perhaps backing up your fsx.cfg and letting it create a new one (save your controls folder first or it will reset your controls dammit!)

ryanair_bristol.png
this pic is significantly compressed, the original it is a lot sharper

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400