Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Crossroads.....?

Does anyone else feel like were at a crossroads, and undecided on what route to take?

I'm stuck at the crossroads!

I have FSX DX10

I have Xplane 10.25

And I have Prepar3d v2.0

Now they are all good. I just don't know what one to stick with for my main install and sim!

Seems like the next 3 months will decide, what with prepared 2.1, xplane 10.30 coming out.....

Anyone else in the same boat? What you think?

Ian

Hi,

I agree we are at a crossroads, But I had no problem making my decision. I moved to P3D for the following reasons.

1. FSX, dead as far as the platform is concerned. The software (unless revived by Microsoft) will never be able to utilize state of the art hardware. That in-and-of-itself disqualifies FSX as the future for my flight simming needs.

2. X-Plane 10, lack of third party support (more developers are developing for FSX/P3D than XP10) and the use of a plausible world disqualifies XP10, as far as I'm concerned.

3. P3Dv2, has been upgraded to make use of today's hardware, old bloated code has been removed, SLI is about to be utilized in P3Dv2. I have hundreds of dollars in FSX addons that can be ported over to P3Dv2. A larger number of third party developers are embracing P3D, more-so than XP10. This will give P3D users more 3rd party addons / port overs over a shorter period of time than will be available to XP10 users over the same period of time.

So, it was an easy decision for me to make... P3Dv2 is the FlightSim Platform for me!

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I'm kinda edging that way too, I'm just waiting to see how p3dv2 evolves. I also have lots of fsx addons, but I'd rather wait for official v2.0 installers first off..... And a new patch to fix the few issues upon release. And then we will see.

Saying that, some of the new XP10 screenshots look gorgeous.

Ian

So, it was an easy decision for me to make... P3Dv2 is the FlightSim Platform for me!

The fact that P3Dv2 cannot legally be used for personal entertainment disqualifies it for me.  The vast majority of flight simulator enthusiasts have no real world tie to aviation.  While I understand that I might be able to purchase PSDv2, I am not currently willing to risk the loss of the platform+add-ons (we can end up heavily invested once you add up the cost of addons) and even legal action should they choose monitor adherence to the EULA closer.

Eric Szczesniak

To be at a crossroads one needs to be travelling to a destination.

I am not travelling anywhere at present.

FSX Dx10 is doing everything I need it to do to let me fly some exceptional

aircraft models in  some equally exceptional scenery.

I have pretty much everything P3D is said to offer except perhaps landscape

shadows, volumetric fog and odd looking water.

I don't have the OOM errors and the risk that I might be using it in breach of its licence.

Until and unless there is a 64 bit version that will also let me use all my very expensive addons,

I am quite happy to be staying with Microsft on our trip to nowhere.

Regards,

Nick.

The fact that P3Dv2 cannot legally be used for personal entertainment disqualifies it for me.  The vast majority of flight simulator enthusiasts have no real world tie to aviation.  While I understand that I might be able to purchase PSDv2, I am not currently willing to risk the loss of the platform+add-ons (we can end up heavily invested once you add up the cost of addons) and even legal action should they choose monitor adherence to the EULA closer.

Hmm i would have agreed with you a little while ago but without getting into an unpleasant (and ultimately fruitless) discussion on the EULA, the LM provided license chart does list "Simulation" as a valid use...for the $199 license.

It's far more specific for the Academic license, there would be very few people on this site would qualify.

At the moment it's FSX for me, i am experimenting with DX10.  I have downloaded the demo for X-Plane, i really want to like it...I don't!

Ian R Tyldesley

FSX for me until all my addons are compatible. Plus I want to wait and see how much PMDG is going to charge for their p3d license. If its some really expensive license I will stick to FSX.

Plus as NickN mentioned, they could pull the rug at anytime. Not that they will but its always a possibility. Until it matures and my addons are ready there is no action for me, especially since FSX functions trouble free for me.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Legal action...wow...I just...wow

What is interesting, to me anyway, is how often those that aren't getting P3Dv2, because of EULA boogeymen, like to tell everyone about how they aren't getting P3Dv2...

There is a good reason why AVSIM has for the most part shut down discussion of this nonsense. The only people who need to have any discussion of it, if there ever even was a need to begin with, are LM and the licensee. It's no one else's business, period.

I guess we'll have to hit the 5 year mark, of better support than MS ever gave, before the "could just pull the rug out anytime" nonsense dies too.

You guys are a riot.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I just installed P3D v2 last night and was honestly surprised at the improvement.  I have seen quite a few negative remarks, but I decided to try it for myself and form my own opinion based on my own experience with the platform.  Glad I did.  For me, it has a sense of visual depth and realism that I just could not find in FSX, as well as much better performance.

I was actually planning on continuing to use FSX and probably will from time to time, but likely a lot less than I thought I would.  I am also very much looking forward to the improvements to the platform that LM will provide, which I know will continue to leave FSX behind as time marches on.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I guess we'll have to hit the 5 year mark, of better support than MS ever gave, before the "could just pull the rug out anytime" nonsense dies too.

You guys are a riot.

Not you or anyone else knows what the future holds for P3D and its users. The project could be cancelled at anytime just like Flight was. After all they are a defense contractor not a software vendor. They could be using it now almost like an open beta, get it to where they want it and then cut distribution to only verified professionals, training schools or whatever decision they want.

I'm happy for you and those that enjoy it and am not against it. I think you should be more respectful of other peoples opinions and not say our opinions are nonsense or that we are a riot. Just because you use it doesn't make others concerns invalid.

Granted there will probably be no legal action you cant say for certain that the project cant be cancelled or the rug pulled.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Granted there will probably be no legal action you cant say for certain that the project cant be cancelled or the rug pulled.

So the watermark is, if a project is capable of being cancelled, it's not worth the risk ?

Might as well sell my PC now then I guess.

Regards,

Brian Doney