Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Active Sky Next vs OpusFSX

With the release of ASN immanent (eg. tomorrow), I'm just wondering whether I should take another trust of faith to get that rather than hop onboard Opus.

My experience with AS2012 had been less than satisfactory, and Hifi claims that tremendous improvement had been done on the ASN in my respects.  I had a look at their features list, a lot of them sounds a bit over (ie. doesn't sound realistic).  Where Opus had been quite quiet about their product, most of the advertising had been through advocates; which suggests to me that they are a more modest company.

It's that time again, ASN is about to come out, with Opus also going strong, can anyone share with me their expectations based on personal experiences or facts that they have gathered, and possibly discuss your thoughts or preferences please? 

Brendan Chen

Learning to use and getting use to FSX!

With the release of ASN immanent (eg. tomorrow), I'm just wondering whether I should take another trust of faith to get that rather than hop onboard Opus.

My experience with AS2012 had been less than satisfactory, and Hifi claims that tremendous improvement had been done on the ASN in my respects.  I had a look at their features list, a lot of them sounds a bit over (ie. doesn't sound realistic).  Where Opus had been quite quiet about their product, most of the advertising had been through advocates; which suggests to me that they are a more modest company.

It's that time again, ASN is about to come out, with Opus also going strong, can anyone share with me their expectations based on personal experiences or facts that they have gathered, and possibly discuss your thoughts or preferences please? 

Brendan Chen

I suggest you read the comments from the makers of Opus on their forum. They indicated that the techniques used in the upcoming ASN are already implemented in OPUS (most of them, some coming next year)

I use OPUS and I love it, the support is great, the camera system has a bit of a learning curve but the Dynamic Head Movement is tied to the weather which is really cool.

The only way I would switch to ASN is if the weather radar functions are integrated with popular paywares like PMDG , FSl, etc (my interest is with airliners but I am sure other integration with popular GA airplanes would be welcome by others). You can always give OPUS a try, I believe a demo is available

John.

• Upvote 1

ASN only comes out on Monday.  No one can give you an opinion except us beta testers. 

Come Monday, you can try it for a 7 day free trial and make your own decision.  ;)

Plus, like I keep repeating, ASN is not AS2012...they don't work the same way.

Check out my post in this thread...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/420985-new-revolutionary-version-of-active-sky-coming/?p=2871087

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I don't care about modesty.... I care about results, so as long as Damien and the rest of the active sky team are not sacrificing puppies and kicking homeless people I will buy the product if it is better than AS2012 and opus ( I think it will be)

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I suggest you read the comments from the makers of Opus on their forum. They indicated that the techniques used in the upcoming ASN are already implemented in OPUS (most of them, some coming next year)

I use OPUS and I love it, the support is great, the camera system has a bit of a learning curve but the Dynamic Head Movement is tied to the weather which is really cool.

The only way I would switch to ASN is if the weather radar functions are integrated with popular paywares like PMDG , FSl, etc (my interest is with airliners but I am sure other integration with popular GA airplanes would be welcome by others). You can always give OPUS a try, I believe a demo is available

John.

I have tried Opus, except the application (not the engine) is giving me more grief than fun.  I understand it's my fault, but I didn't have the dedication and motivation to try to figure out what's wrong, so never truly experienced Opus yet.  I now rely on the feedback of other users.

Mods, sorry about the double posting, Avsim failed to load when I submitted the thread and I reloaded it, it gave me the double post.

Brendan Chen

I have tried Opus, except the application (not the engine) is giving me more grief than fun. I understand it's my fault, but I didn't have the dedication and motivation to try to figure out what's wrong, so never truly experienced Opus yet. I now rely on the feedback of other users.

I'm with you on this one.  My latest battle is that OpusFSX doesn't seem to want to download winds aloft/GRIB data.  Likely my fault, but it seems there's always something.  When it's working OpusFSX has been great, but I just don't know that I care to battle with the program all the time.  If ASN proves to be "trouble free", then it may be my answer.

Eric Szczesniak

been using Opus since it was released never had problems updated almost every week amazing support.

Jose De Campos

London

I currently have Rex and Opus. I did not pick up as2012. I am monitoring ASN to see if after a few weeks the reviews are all as positive and I will run the trial version. I have been happy with opus as its simple to use as a weather engine and I run it with rex textures. If ASN delivers on all its promises then I will probably switch over, but I am skeptical. I hope they do deliver though. 

Read them, and found them... interesting.  Several of the things ASN claims to fix are issues I have with each of my two other wx engines, including Opus.  I still get large wind shifts at times, (yes, with recommended settings for the flights I'm attempting), I still get abrupt changes in wx as I fly into new areas, I don't see things like ridge lift in areas where I should (I do a lot of mountain flying), [edit: - meant to add that rain still falls above clouds, and in places where there are no clouds] and so on.  Those of us who are not beta testers obviously don't yet know how well ASN will live up to its advance billing, but if it does...

As for DHM, I don't much care for it, in part because I don't like having to give up being able to adjust eyepoint on the fly to get it, so Opus' method of tying aircraft turbulence effects to DHM is problematic for me.  I've tried very hard to like it, and I know it's a feature they're very proud of, but I just don't care for it.

And then there's the whole historic wx thing - one of the reasons I have and use two wx engines.

Not trying to pick on Opus - I use it often and like it fine - but it still seems subject to the problems all other FSX wx engines have, though I know they've worked hard to mitigate them to the extent possible.  The response from them seemed to be aimed at ASN's claims, and I just don't see the product as I have it already being the equal or almost equal of what ASN claims to be.  Guess I'll be able to see for myself soon whether the claims hold up.

Scott

Read them, and found them... interesting.

Here is a good summary. http://www.simforums.com/Forums/how-will-you-compete_topic47935.html

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Might I suggest this thread is about a week premature?

Mike