Sign in to follow this  
Brenchen

Active Sky Next vs OpusFSX

Please understand that I have no dog in this hunt. I don't own ASN or OPUS. I know little about both. I found this thread while seeking answers to questions I had regarding weather engines in FSX. I've been using the ASN demo for 3 days, and honestly, I'm just somewhat impressed. I planned on downloading the OPUS demo tonight for comparison. But...

I really have a problem with everything I'm reading here. I'm pretty shocked, to be frank. My perception of vendors and developers, up until today, has been nothing positive. I even find that some of the more controversial devs at Orbx enjoy constructive, mature conversation with like-minded hobbyists who seek to get the best out of FSX... the exact opposite of the conversations logged by OPUS.

"...the next AS will not put it ahead of OpusFSX since it will still basically be the same weather engine, with the same weather injection and FSX is FSX no matter what is claimed by others."

"Looks like AS are just trying to copy us anyway and playing catch up ... dynamic theme weather indeed "

"Basically AS are just playing catch up and now copying our pioneering use of Dynamic Weather Themes (should have patented the idea). Most of their list is just promising to overcome the shortcomings in their current weather engine and introduce features that we have had and used for nearly two years now."

"And yes, it is very comical indeed that they are now going over to OUR Dynamic Weather Theme approach."

"Just bare in mind 95% of what they are claiming to achieve in their next version we have already achieved and have been using for several years now, no matter what gloss they put on it. "

"I would advise users not to believe all of the hype coming from our competitors, as I have stated, 95%+ of what they are claiming as new OpusFSX already does and has been doing for a long time now. "

"Quite funny how they've adopted our Dynamic Weather Themes and produced that 'long' list of faults with their previous engine, especially considering what they and their supporters have been saying over the past two years or so."

And ironically concludes with...

"Please no more comments on this topic, it has little to do with OpusFSX support and we really aren't interested in what anyone has or has not to say about competing products."

I find this kind of talk to be petty and offensive, even if everything said is 100% true. It clearly offended others as well. Even worse, in response to being questioned about these statements, they say...

"we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product."

and..

"The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen"

I am stunned to hear such a patronizing, politician's response.

OPUS. Please listen. These are not "personal attacks." We want you to succeed. Companies imitate you because, clearly, you do fantastic work. But this energy is bad for the community. It's bad for your company. A certain level of professionalism, maturity and grace are required to take your product to the next level. Which path will you take? It's in your hands entirely. Best of luck.

I'll pass on the demo, thanks.

All of this........to simply state that you're going to pass on trying a demo ........under the premise that you have "no dog in the hunt" ?????

No need to release the hounds.

No wonder the forums have been slow lately - too much traffic.

All of this... just to tell someone off for what you consider is wasting server space and bandwidth? If so explain to me why your post didn't simply add to the problem.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I'm happy with OPUS, always have been especially with the combined camera system. I'm not trying anything else unless its ground breaking and so far I am reading mixed reviews about ASN so I will pass on it. Besides I don't want to run 2 applications for weather and cameras when I can use the one.

+1

+ Buttkicker control !

Robert

Same here. I cant even imagine flying without Dynamic head movement and the Cameras and nice to have BC control as an option

ZORAN

All of this... just to tell someone off for what you consider is wasting server space and bandwidth? If so explain to me why your post didn't simply add to the problem.

Pretty sure you missed my point. I never mentioned wasted server space, and it's just an opinion with a side of constructive criticism. Added to the problem? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it I guess. Maybe it continues the flow of bad energy. Maybe it helps put some of it to rest. The problem is resolved for me. Either way I felt it necessary to say, just as you felt it necessary to add to my dialogue. Cheers.

Please understand that I have no dog in this hunt. I don't own ASN or OPUS. I know little about both. I found this thread while seeking answers to questions I had regarding weather engines in FSX. I've been using the ASN demo for 3 days, and honestly, I'm just somewhat impressed. I planned on downloading the OPUS demo tonight for comparison. But...

I really have a problem with everything I'm reading here. I'm pretty shocked, to be frank. My perception of vendors and developers, up until today, has been nothing positive. I even find that some of the more controversial devs at Orbx enjoy constructive, mature conversation with like-minded hobbyists who seek to get the best out of FSX... the exact opposite of the conversations logged by OPUS.

"...the next AS will not put it ahead of OpusFSX since it will still basically be the same weather engine, with the same weather injection and FSX is FSX no matter what is claimed by others."

"Looks like AS are just trying to copy us anyway and playing catch up ... dynamic theme weather indeed "

"Basically AS are just playing catch up and now copying our pioneering use of Dynamic Weather Themes (should have patented the idea). Most of their list is just promising to overcome the shortcomings in their current weather engine and introduce features that we have had and used for nearly two years now."

"And yes, it is very comical indeed that they are now going over to OUR Dynamic Weather Theme approach."

"Just bare in mind 95% of what they are claiming to achieve in their next version we have already achieved and have been using for several years now, no matter what gloss they put on it. "

"I would advise users not to believe all of the hype coming from our competitors, as I have stated, 95%+ of what they are claiming as new OpusFSX already does and has been doing for a long time now. "

"Quite funny how they've adopted our Dynamic Weather Themes and produced that 'long' list of faults with their previous engine, especially considering what they and their supporters have been saying over the past two years or so."

And ironically concludes with...

"Please no more comments on this topic, it has little to do with OpusFSX support and we really aren't interested in what anyone has or has not to say about competing products."

I find this kind of talk to be petty and offensive, even if everything said is 100% true. It clearly offended others as well. Even worse, in response to being questioned about these statements, they say...

"we simply state the facts and were forced to defend our product."

and..

"The only negative vibe I see here is the personal attack on Stephen"

I am stunned to hear such a patronizing, politician's response.

OPUS. Please listen. These are not "personal attacks." We want you to succeed. Companies imitate you because, clearly, you do fantastic work. But this energy is bad for the community. It's bad for your company. A certain level of professionalism, maturity and grace are required to take your product to the next level. Which path will you take? It's in your hands entirely. Best of luck.

I'll pass on the demo, thanks.

Those were the comments I was talking about. I think they are defensive and misleading  and  I was surprised they did not catch some more flak for them. Maybe the FS community does not fully grasp how different ASN is yet?   ASN does some things OPUS does not regarding weather injection, I do not know how they did it but it is clearly different then OPUS injection and the other injectors I have used in the past.

On the other hand OPUS does some things that ASN does not, such as built in camera control that works quite well.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I know this is an FSX forum ... but thought I'd ask ...

Does anyone have "as is" video of OpusFSX weather only working in P3DV2?  As I understand it ASN isn't P3DV2 compatible yet and waiting for the LM patch.  I'm assuming one can use just weather engine only when using OpusFSX (don't have to use any of the other features)?

One feature I really enjoyed with FSGRW was the "static" snap shot of global weather ... it presented a very realistic "feel" in FSX (another product that I think is waiting for P3DV2 patch). And finally, does ASN and OpusFSX weather support single snapshots on a Global scale?

I'm not a fan of dynamic weather (in the sense of updates every 5-15 minutes or so), just breaks the sense of reality for me with sudden changes in cloud density and clear skies and massive changes in visibility levels -- I have not seen any weather engine that has been able to really manage the complexity around fluid weather changes as one flies from A to B.  So, if possible, I always turn OFF dynamic weather.

But I'm very happy with global weather snapshots ... not up to the minute accurate obviously, but the transition retains a credibility no matter where I fly from/too.

Thanks, Rob.

I'm not a fan of dynamic weather (in the sense of updates every 5-15 minutes or so), just breaks the sense of reality for me with sudden changes in cloud density and clear skies and massive changes in visibility levels -- I have not seen any weather engine that has been able to really manage the complexity around fluid weather changes as one flies from A to B. So, if possible, I always turn OFF dynamic weather.

I always fly with dynamic weather enabled in ASN and have experienced NO sudden changes in cloud density and clear skies, let alone massive changes in visibility levels. Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to see how far some of these weather products have come in depicting real world weather?

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Does anyone have "as is" video of OpusFSX weather only working in P3DV2?  As I understand it ASN isn't P3DV2 compatible yet and waiting for the LM patch.  I'm assuming one can use just weather engine only when using OpusFSX (don't have to use any of the other features)?

I don't have video and unfortunately am not set up to produce video, but can say that Opus FSX works well in P3D2.  Yes, it's possible to use only the weather features, without the camera settings.  I set "global" weather by configuring my settings for radius (VERY large) and update frequency (VERY infrequent), so the initial settings don't update.  There's probably a more elegant way to do it but that's my kludge.

There are ASN features I like in FSX, and I'll be eager to try it in P3D2 once it's compatible, but right now Opus is providing me with a very decent P3D2 solution.  One note - I've been flying exclusively low and slow in P3D2, no airliners yet.  When using earlier versions of Opus with tubes in FSX, I had wind shift issues.  These may have been addressed in more recent updates but I can't say for sure - I just haven't gotten back there to check.  I got better results from AS 2012 and ASN with FSX tubeliners, but that may be for system-specific reasons.  Opus has always been a good GA performer for me.  Again, this may be specific to my system.  Take my experience into account but generalize with caution.

Hope this helps.

Pretty sure you missed my point. I never mentioned wasted server space, and it's just an opinion with a side of constructive criticism. Added to the problem? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it I guess. Maybe it continues the flow of bad energy. Maybe it helps put some of it to rest. The problem is resolved for me. Either way I felt it necessary to say, just as you felt it necessary to add to my dialogue. Cheers.

That wasn't aimed at you but at irocx, who quoted you and apparently by acccident wrote his own text before the quote end tag and not after it. I suppose I could've fixed that in my post. Sorry.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to see how far some of these weather products have come in depicting real world weather?

ASN isn't P3DV2 capable yet, so can't say I've had the opportunity and have never used it in FSX.  I'm certainly keeping my eye on ASN as many seem to like it in FSX.    It sounds like ASN will allow me to turn OFF dynamic weather updates ... do you know if it takes a global snapshot or is it limited to a radius of current location?

FSGRW and REX dynamic weather engine, and older versions of Active Sky (not ASN) all produced sudden weather and wind changes  (especially over oceans) because of limitations in FSX - at least that's what I experienced.  

FSGRW global snapshot (not dynamic) was the best I've used yet (especially around SF/BayArea) where it produced very good micro climates and localized fog (in FSX) while having nice clear skies in Colorado landing airport ... the from A to B experience felt very accurate even if only a snapshot from a moment in time.

No trying to generalize anything, apology if that came across ... just relaying my experience with dynamic weather in the various engines I've used over the years ... but I have not used ASN in FSX but do look forward to seeing what it can do in P3DV2 (when available).  Also looking forward to what REX can do in P3DV2 and FSGRW for that matter -- pretty sure they're all waiting for LM's patch.

I think I've seen one and only one video of Opus in P3DV2 and was hoping to expand that experience to get a better idea of variations in weather and how they are working for various P3DV2 users.

Cheers, Rob

That wasn't aimed at you but at irocx, who quoted you and apparently by acccident wrote his own text before the quote end tag and not after it. I suppose I could've fixed that in my post. Sorry.

Yeah no sweat, from one Lemmy fan to another  :friends:

So after with mucking about with the settings in the ASN demo, I ended up with nothing but dense fog, in just about every weather situation. Of course, I found out it was the number of cloud layers (set too high) that created this.

Would there ever be a reason to set the cloud layers higher than "6". The default is "5". Anything higher than 6 significantly reduces visibility. But that slider goes all the way too 100? Why?

If this question strays too far off topic, tell me to shut up and I'll take it to an ASN forum. 

But overall, I found the cloud coverage to be quite accurate to what I was seeing here in Los Angeles, with perfectly clear skies right over my head in Pasadena, a lumbering front rising over the mountains to my north, and scattered mid-level clouds near the coast.

I would not go higher than 8, well tuned high end system, sod all payware. 5 is good for most situations, and 3 if your running a Commodore 64. :lol:

Higher numbers are good for the Cecil B. DeMille's amongst us, for screen shots and videos and the like.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

...and 3 if your running a Commodore 64.

3 helped cure the microstutters on my Commodore 64... B)

It sounds like ASN will allow me to turn OFF dynamic weather updates ... do you know if it takes a global snapshot or is it limited to a radius of current location?

ASN has three modes: Live Weather, Historical, and Manual. Running it in Historical mode would allow one to use a (very) recent, past snapshot as the prevailing weather theme within the sim. The ASN snapshot is global.

Here's a link to the ASN manual: http://nimbus.hifitechinc.com/ASNInfo/ASN_User_Guide.pdf

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png