Sign in to follow this  
fbavent

Weather Accuracy - OpusFSX is Spot On!

Thought I would share some photos of how accurate OpusFSX simulates current weather.  The first image is a snapshot of Foreflight with the satellite overlay depicted.  You'll see on the screen that the plane (RealAir's Duke 2 at 20,000 ft) is approaching a break in the clouds.

The second and third images are a view from the cockpit and you can see a break in the clouds.  Pretty amazing that a weather program is able to simulate the weather so well.

IMG_1831_zpsa8e9ea5a.jpg

2013-12-7_11-12-21-361_zps6ff72ea9.png

2013-12-7_11-12-14-880_zpsc5937e8b.png

Cheers,

Frank

Thanks for posting the images Frank. That Foreflight package looks very interesting, we're spoilt with all these great tools nowadays, I love using my Sky Demon as well. Amazing how useful they are and have become over the years. Foreflight just needs to produce a Europe version next.

We will soon have our OpusFSX Garmin GPS Simulated output done soon so users can connect the OpusFSX server or client to a Sky Demon or other package that accepts a serial GPS connection.

Once again, thanks for sharing the great images.

Stephen :-D

Your welcome Stephen.  I are you telling me that you are able to use Sky Demon with FSX?  I use FSXFlight (http://fsxflight.com) to connect with Foreflight and WingX Pro.  I contacted Sy Demon about compatibility with FSX or FSXFlight and they did not know what I was talking about.

With Foreflight and FSXFlight and OpusFSX the weather report is 100% accurate.  When I hit Shift-Z the weather matches what I am seeing on Foreflight.

You can't currently use Sky Demon with FSX but we are developing an OpusFSX GPS interface so when that is finished you will be able to connect to Sky Demon (and a variety of other packages that accept a serial GPS connection) via OpusFSX.

Cheryl

OpusFSX will effectively simulate a Garmin type GPS allowing any RW package, such as Sky Demon, to connect and be used on the sim. So you will be able to use Sky Demon, or any other package that allows a serially connected GPS, in both the RW and the Simulator.

Stephen :-)

We use the Sky Demon package in the RW, anyone interested can find details here,

http://www.skydemon.aero

And some videos showing its use here,

http://www.skydemon.aero/start/videos.aspx

The interface is all about taking realism in the sim to the next level of course. Its a great package for those into VFR flying.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but just wanted to update that Skydemon now has an option to use Xplane, which happens to also enable using FSX with the aforementioned FSXFlight program. It's rather good.

I love OpusFSX too, so will be interesting to see what that adds to the mix. 

Ian

OpusFSX already includes a SkyDemon interface, it has done for some while, just tick the Enable GPS Output option in the Configuration dialog of the FSXSERVER program. You will find simple instructions how to set up a SkyDemon interface in our SimForums. I and many others have been using this for some time now. There is a screenshot on our main web page.

Stephen :biggrin:

Hi Stephen, 

Would I be right in thinking that's for the PC version though? I was referring to getting this running on an iPad, which I've been trying to make work for ages. I'd got it running on the PC without Opus, but I never found it very realistic, and overall PlanG seemed a bit more practical. Now I can use Skydemon like I do in RW it's opened up a whole new element to my FSX experience (which Is predominantly training). 

Ian

Our Enable GPS Output option will communicate NMEA GPS data out via the specified TCP/IP address and port number. So all it needs is a server socket to connect to. Up to now this can be used to connect to SkyDemon running on a PC with a suitable free VSP. I use this when flying on the sim and we have quite a few users doing the same. I was wondering whether the new iPad App allowed our GPS Output to connect to the iPad via its IP address and port number, in which case I will download the App and give it a go.

Thought I would share some photos of how accurate OpusFSX simulates current weather.  The first image is a snapshot of Foreflight with the satellite overlay depicted.  You'll see on the screen that the plane (RealAir's Duke 2 at 20,000 ft) is approaching a break in the clouds.

The second and third images are a view from the cockpit and you can see a break in the clouds.  Pretty amazing that a weather program is able to simulate the weather so well.

IMG_1831_zpsa8e9ea5a.jpg

2013-12-7_11-12-21-361_zps6ff72ea9.png

2013-12-7_11-12-14-880_zpsc5937e8b.png

Cheers,

Frank

What did you use to connect to the ForeFlight to FSX? FSXFlight?

What did you use to connect to the ForeFlight to FSX? FSXFlight?

Lyle, I use Flightsim GPS to connect Foreflight (which I'd echo is a wonderful tool for US North American pilots) to FSX.  See http://www.flightsimgps.com/ .  It's a free tool.

Scott

Lyle, I use Flightsim GPS to connect Foreflight (which I'd echo is a wonderful tool for US North American pilots) to FSX.  See http://www.flightsimgps.com/ .  It's a free tool.

Scott

Scott,

Thanks..Foreflight is terrific I must say.

Hi Stephen does Skydemon work with FSX ? If so do you have a link on your forums to instructions to do so pls wayne

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Yes and many people are using it including us. You can use the Enable GPS Output option in our Configure dialog to connect to SkyDemon running on a PC. We are also thinking about adding a UDP option to communicate direct to the above ForeFlight App.

To set up the SkyDemon interface please follow our instructions on SimForums, ref. the GPS Output Interface (SkyDemon) topic.

Stephen