Sign in to follow this  
sascha

New autogen controlled lights

Hey Sascha

I am very interestet in your fs9 evolution. I have sent you a donation via PayPal and a PM.

Greetings

Martin

Hi Sascha, FPS are up some numbers, indeed; lights still have quite a remarkable impact, though.

At the occassion of your new default.xml I understood how you separated the two libraries. I was able to activate the traffic lights from the Russian library by editing your default.xml test-wise; I hope this wasn't against your intentions.

Cheers,

Harald

From my understanding of default.bgl, it is only needed to place library objects in "texture tiles", e.g. normal scenery. As per vector roads, objects are called directly via their GUID in terrain.cfg. Installing the terrain.cfg from the russian add-on should get it to work as it supposedly affects only roads :)

Also, a note to Sascha:

I spotted an error in the default.xml provided, line 1686 reads "<<LIBRARYOBJECT>" instead of "<LIBRARYOBJECT>". maybe this explains some troubles you had getting the lights to show up?

signature.jpg

Hi Mario,

you are right, the cars and head lights are controlled via terrain.cfg, but they do need the Russian object library being active to be visible. Sascha's 3D lights, at the other site, are controlled via default.xml. As long as they were inside the same library, to avoid the FPS drop by the lights, one could either de-activate the library (no lights, but also no cars) or de-activate default.xml (no lights, but also no additional autogen). With the new library, having different designations in default.xml, one can choose cars and additional autogen without having the 3D lights, which still affect FPS heavily at least at my PC.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Sascha, FPS are up some numbers, indeed; lights still have quite a remarkable impact, though.

At the occassion of your new default.xml I understood how you separated the two libraries. I was able to activate the traffic lights from the Russian library by editing your default.xml test-wise; I hope this wasn't against your intentions.

Cheers,

Harald

Hi Harald,

no problem! Maybe you can offer your edited default.xml to anyone who wants to keep the cars.

CHeers,

Sascha

Hi all,

obviously I wasn't clear enough, I did edit the default.xml not to have the cars (these are controlled by terrain.cfg), but the traffic lights. Here is it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hewzzm1mx06766/default.xml.evo_svetofor?dl=0

How to use:

- in the filename "default.xml.evo_svetofor", delete ".evo_svetofor", backup your default.xml and use this one instead.

- you have to activate the library from http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-effects-and-addons-46/animated-evening-and-night-highway-34218.html

as Sascha describes in his readme. If you also use the terrain.cfg from this package, you will have static cars on your highways at day and animated head lights at night.

Have fun!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Sascha,

just to be sure that the information is known:

I found out that turning off scenery shadows improves FPS massively at day. At night there's no difference, but FPS at night were never that bad as at day.

Obviously the 3D light object has some problems with scenery shadows, as some sceneries ported over from FSX sceneries have.

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Harald, good to know that there is a way of combating fps loss that some people experience! Are you using the updated objects? That should not have the complicated masts and liamps, so should not impact fps as much.

On a different note with the newest drivers available for my card all previous tweaks are moot - I now need to set antialias in the sim which in all my years I could not do because of fps going down by at least half. Fps are now better and enahncing AA through Nvidia is actually working better...

Just goes to show!

Sascha

Sascha,

I do use the 3D light object from November 2015 ("20151116_autogenlights.zip"). That should be the updated one, shouldn't it?

Regarding video drivers - I have an AMD card and stay with a proven driver from 2013 or 2014.

Cheers!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Edit: I know that there are several sceneries that have problems with shadows, too (sometimes, their developers directly recommend turning off scenery shadows). Other sceneries don't have these problems. I think that the difference in programming that causes this difference in behaviour is well known, and that this could be a starting point for a solution, perhaps by the developer of the light object. That would be great!

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I do use the 3D light object from November 2015 ("20151116_autogenlights.zip"). That should be the updated one, shouldn't it?

Yes, that is the newest version, Harald!

Hey friends,

I would like to assure you all that the new 3D lights are still being worked on. I've been trying to enlist the help of someone from FSDeveloper as I have run into a roadblock and neither I or Sascha have been able to figure out the problem.

They are still very much in development and I (hope) to have them out in the near future.

Sorry for the long wait friends.

Chris

FS2004 Forever

Hey Chris, great to hear from you!

Great to read about ongoing development, indeed. Good luck Chris for your work! Hopefully we can enjoy the lights soon together with spring textures...?

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hello everybody

First: Sasha, congratulation and thanks for this great project!

Unfortunately, i have to deactivate the 3d lights for every time when i fly in usa metropole area like new york, chicago etc. because the frames decrease to a non flyable value (5-10 fps). When i start the simulator in this areas the frames are ok at 20-25 fps but when i fly for a longer time over the city area, the frames decrease minute for minute down to 5 fps. It doesn't matter if i fly at night or at day. The only solution is to set the autogen density slider to "normal". But to have maximum autogen buildings, is very important for me.

I know the light density is being influenced by autogen density slider but here is my question: Is it possible to set the light density in default.xml to a lower value to have maximum autogen buildings at day but only 50% lights at night?

Greetings

Martin

Hi Martin,

the solution is to place fewer lights in the tiles. I recently updated the US city files. THere are actually not that many so removing some lights should not be difficult. I've been meaning to do this for some time but will bump it up my list of updates. Did you also use the newest light updates from 20th November this year?? That improved fps also.

Cheers,
Sascha