Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

SW altitude call outs

I have noticed on the NGX aircraft equipment configuration, altitude call outs are not used on the Southwest liveries. I was wondering if there company policy calls for the PNF to read the radio altitudes? Maybe they feel it is not necessary because of the HUD. I have read that SW orderes their NGs with some of the automatic features turned of to let their pilots be pilots and attract that kind of flyer.

Vic green

I was wondering if there company policy calls for the PNF to read the radio altitudes?

I do believe that is SWA's SOP.

orderes their NGs with some of the automatic features turned of

AAL's 738s autopilots are not certified for CAT III autolands since they did not purchase CAT III certification from Boeing. They are only certified up to CAT II/coupled approaches since they don't have rollout capability. Their HUDs (purchased from a third party) use the flight director while conducting non-precision and CAT I approaches and a separate guidance computer for manual CAT II/III approaches.

Doing this does save money since AAL doesn't have to pay to have the autopilot certified/maintained for CAT III landings. It's cheaper to maintain the HUD over the autopilot. Not sure if that's the case with SWA.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thankyou for the informational replies. I believe I will turn my call outs on since fscrew doesnt have FO call outs.

Vic green