Sign in to follow this  
Bunchy

SkyMAXX pro questions

Dear all,

I purchased SkyMaxx Pro lastnight and have to say I'm impressed with the difference it makes.

Flying through cloud without that 'grey-out blanket' is worth the purchase fee alone.

I have noticed a couple of things that seem specific to using real world weather, though.

For instance, at EGPF Glasgow this morning the metar is reporting few 008, sct 017 and bkn 023.

I noticed that the clouds where intersecting the ground in places rather than staring  800ft above it.

Also, whilst flying, there is an incredible delay when weather updates occur, 15 seconds or so.

With the default xp10 clouds this delay is usually no longer than a second.

Are these known issues and is there likely to be a fix in the works for them?

Thanks

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I'd like to add to the above that I also get a 'windows is nearly out of memory, close program' warning box coming up after about 30 minutes of flight time.

My skymaxx settings are on medium and no cresp' rays.

Is it something to do with any of the plugins that seem to have added after this install?

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Hey Stuart, for more support you can head over to X-Pilot, we have a dedicated SkyMAXX support thread there.  I am not trying to steer AVSIM users but as to properly support the product ;)

As far as the pauses with changing weather conditions, we are working on smoothing out these transitions as we speak. Our clouds are procedurally drawn and regenerate differently each time, and we found a few things to help drastically speed up the regeneration.   Keep your eyes open for another update in the future....

The algorithm we use for cloud generation will create massive cloud structures and they may intersect with the ground from time to time, you can  adjust the Max and Min cloud sizes in the UI to combat this......

We haven't seen any kind of memory leakage with SkyMAXX at all, as a matter of fact it runs much lighter then default, after the 1.1 update, if X-Plane crashes post your log.txt over at X-Pilot so we can look at it.  It may be something specific to your system....

-John

As far as the pauses with changing weather conditions, we are working on smoothing out these transitions as we speak. Our clouds are procedurally drawn and regenerate differently each time, and we found a few things to help drastically speed up the regeneration.   Keep your eyes open for another update in the future....

Glad to hear that!

we are working on smoothing out these transitions as we speak.

Excellent news John, thx!

How's Urbanmaxx v3 coming along? Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Excellent news John, thx!

How's Urbanmaxx v3 coming along? Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

there is a shot of it at x-pilot. he has also said that the upgrade for it will be free for existing users. i personally think he should charge a few bucks but john is an honorable man and stands by his word

Hey guys I still have a lot of SkyMAXX Pro to work out, but the good news is I already have a good idea how to best update UrbanMAXX and when I have the time it will move along nicely.

And yes I promised UM would be free for the lifecycle of the product.......Im sticking to that promise ;)

Hey guys I still have a lot of SkyMAXX Pro to work out, but the good news is I already have a good idea how to best update UrbanMAXX and when I have the time it will move along nicely.

And yes I promised UM would be free for the lifecycle of the product.......Im sticking to that promise ;)

I was pretty certain that SilverLining would be much more efficient that standard Xplane clouds, but now that SkyMaxx Pro has shown just how much more efficient, I'm a lot more optimistic that Triton as well could probably be shoehorned in there with acceptable results.

Here's hoping you can find the time to get around to that as well, one day!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

John,

I bought SkyMAXX Pro today.  It is a very nice piece of work and, between this and UrbanMAXX, you have really been busy!

My only reservation has been... my wife... "You paid money for ....  clouds?"

John

John Wingold

Haha! She's forgetting sky colors too! 

Glad you're enjoying it, John!

Founder of X-Aviation

John,

I bought SkyMAXX Pro today.  It is a very nice piece of work and, between this and UrbanMAXX, you have really been busy!

John

My retort to my girlfriend (and avid Farmville user) was "And you pay money for Cats and Cows. NEXT!!"  :P

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks John for your support :D

When I explain to people what I do they say "People pay money for clouds?" 

I understand.....hehehe

Skymaxx Pro is a great product.  As another person said, just getting rid of the gray blanket alone was worth the money!

Nice job- and I'm sure that the next rev will resolve any issues with redrawing.

GREAT add-on!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Skymaxx Pro is a great product.  As another person said, just getting rid of the gray blanket alone was worth the money!

Nice job- and I'm sure that the next rev will resolve any issues with redrawing.

GREAT add-on!

Thanks for the kind words, Robert!  :smile:

Founder of X-Aviation

John,

John

Next time she's admiring the sunset over a dinner you can remind her how nice the clouds look... ;)

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.