Hello

My FSX: 

1. FSX.CFG tweaked acoording to Word Not Allowed's Guide

2. Version with Acceleration Pack

3. MODS: FTX Global, REX Essentials + OD, GSX, AccuFeel V2

4. OS: Windows 8 64 bit

5. Hardware: 

MSI Z77GD55, Core i5 3570K, GTX 660Ti MSI PE OC, 2x4 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance 

Issue: Crashing to desktop (FSX has stopped working) with event viewer communicating this: 

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>100</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-12-08T13:09:16.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>23091</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>MephicPC</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
  <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
  <Data>46fadb14</Data>
  <Data>unknown</Data>
  <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
  <Data>00000000</Data>
  <Data>c0000005</Data>
  <Data>76e9bda1</Data>
  <Data>604</Data>
  <Data>01cef41506f3777c</Data>
  <Data>D:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
  <Data>unknown</Data>
  <Data>f0472a0c-6009-11e3-bee8-d43d7e489308</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Which means there is no module name which causes crash. Now I don't have ANY problems in ANY other game with crashing which I own, so I am eliminating hardware issue as my system is rock-stable. 

What can I try to do? The crash to desktop occurs usually few minutes after taking off from the airport, sometimes during the flight. Is there any thing I can do to fix it? 

Issue fixed. Appcrashview showed BEX failure. After digging in the web I found that it means that an add on is incompatible. 160 liveries for Boeing - that was the culprit. 

Great news!  Thanks for telling us what fixed the problem for you.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just to add something new - I also had uiautomationcore.dll crash today few times after installing AS next.

Even though I use windows 8 and heard its not recommended to install this file in fsx folder, I took the risk and put there vista 32 bit version (my os is 64 bit) - works like a charm, got rid of all crashes I had. :)

And here I thought you were a smart intelligent guy! It didn't stop this crash and it only fixes one possible, extremely unprobable problem, right clicking a lot while in the FSX Menu. There have been several members here who had the "holy grail" module in their fsx folder with Windows 8 and got crashes until it was removed. You are very lucky but, if it works for you, great!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As I said and stated - I had uiautomationcore.dll shown as a module causing problems in appcrashview and that's why i said that this version works for me.

Don't treat this as holy grail. But there is definitely more to it than just extensive menu using because in the flight when the crash happened I didn't use menu AT ALL.

But there is definitely more to it than just extensive menu using because in the flight when the crash happened I didn't use menu AT ALL.

There definitely is not!  It has been proven over and over in this forum and others that the uiautomationcore.dll does NOT work for everyone and it does indeed cause crashes.  When I found the AppCrashView program and had people submit a report with each crash report, it showed the uiautomationcore.dll installed.  I told them to remove it and the crashes stopped.  I have the proof and you cannot deny solid evidence.  I could say more but I'm taking a deep breath and moving on.

Submit News to AVSIM

Come on - I'm not arguing.. Just relying on what happened to me.

So You basically mean remove it from fsx or from system files? I read it shouldn't be done in win 8.

I want to extend my knowledge about it and trust Your judgement - no point in getting angry. That would be actually reasonable to remove it so fsx cannot access it but from what I know this file is not meant for fsx in first place so removing it out of the system is not the great solution for system at all.

On one of the topics there was a suggestion to make uiautomationcore dummy file but for some users it seems that this vista one works.

And again - I'm not trying to prove anything and am pretty sure that You are much more experienced here but it would be good to me to understand it from technical POV.

So You basically mean remove it from fsx or from system files? I read it shouldn't be done in win 8.

The uiautomationcore.dll belongs to the Microsoft.net packages.  These packages are used by developers and Microsoft to make sure their applications run properly in the way they intended, including memory management.  You should never remove a system file.  However, placing an older version of uiautomationcore.dll in your main fsx folder in the hopes of stopping a crash is totally insane, especially in Windows 8.  It only fixes one problem - right clicking the FSX menu repeatedly (20-30 times)(I have tried to replicate this and so far no joy).  But Word Not Allowed, NickN, Tabs from PMDG, maybe a bunch of others knowledgeable with computers, say that it is required and it does fix this problem (but what problem?).  Anytime you start hacking your programs you are looking for problems.  Let the latest uiautomationcore.dll in your system files run fsx.  Make sure you have Microsoft.net packages 1.1 thru the latest installed (look in C:\Windows/Microsoft.net/Framework/ then the versions).  Dotnet packages are not backward compatible for the most part (Google that if you do not believe me).  If a developer used dotnet 1.1, it might be looking for this specific version and, if it cannot find it, fsx will crash.  If you only have the latest version installed, you might be able to run fsx and fsx addons for a while but eventually your product will crash.

If you look in Google, many dumb people are recommending the 64 bit version be placed in the main FSX folder.  How insane is that!??? That will definitely bring FSX down as only the 32 bit version will be used by FSX.  They are also recommending different and wrong versions. Again, I have definite proof the uiautomationcore.dll (vista version) is a placebo thanks to the nirsoft app (no other "computer expert" has this information). It's all right here in the CTD Forum after I required everyone to post their AppCrashView report and each one clearly showed an ntdll.dll, or BEX, or StackHash, or atc.dll, or api.dll crash with the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx folder! Freezes?  The uiautomationcore.dll was in their main fsx folder!!  My advice is to stay away from it and use whatever is the latest version put out by Microsoft and keep it in your system files.  Understand that, if you get a freeze when right-clicking the FSX menu, your settings are set too high or you have a memory configuration problem, hardware problem, or it could be a bad overclock too.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for extensive clarification. Still as I mentioned - the crash related to uiautomationcore happened even though i didn't use right click on game menus. So I don't get this part. All of my system files are updated. Just for a test I removed uiautomationcore vista 32 bit from fsx folder and guess what - couldn't play longer than 5 min. Tried three times, no RMB clicking. I put it inside again - problem gone, I finished my full flight from EPWA to Berlin Tegel. I don't know if it is magic or what than but it helps me. As long as it works I'm fine but if I will crash again You can be sure I will ask You for help. Because You Sir just prooved Your extensive knowledge in this matter. Huge beer for You, thank You that You took time to reply and wish You the best!

That's a major problem when you place the wrong version in your main FSX folder.  There are two versions which is explained in the CTD Guide.  People will get crashes if they put the wrong version in the FSX folder.  A well-known software developer was installing the wrong version into the FSX folder and people were getting crashes including me.  When I ran my AppCrashView I saw the dll was installed in my main FSX folder and I went bonkers (simply started destroying cities like Chicago, New York, San Francisco :P ).  I removed it and my crashes stopped.  Same thing happened to many others here.  I discussed this at length in the FSX Forum.  It's also possible your system uiautomationcore.dll did not like any version in the FSX folder.  I have seen a couple of other Windows 8 users who have stopped their crashes with this dll in their main FSX folder.  Good for them!  I cannot explain that other than you all have your memory settings set properly because it is a memory thing. 

Submit News to AVSIM

so good for me I guess - anyway, thank You Firehawk for explaining this thorougly. I am not new to software/hardware,,,

Still I am totally new to FSX (for years I was saying - no way, I won't go FSX, I remember when I flew FS 2004 and I crashed (my plane) all the time) but after trying out many simulations which I am really into, I said to myself - screw this, let's try the more "complete and immersive" one) and so I don't want to proove anything. I don't know how this system really works, especially that it was designed and created by OS developer which is not common thing, but sometimes I just think that everyone tries to explain why this works, and that does not work, but there is no real explanation. 

In this case I think that there is a lot of question marks regarding any CTD's in FSX. Still this is an amazing game and You are part of amazing community which helps to UNDERSTAND lot of issues/stuff. So thank You for this discussion and take care. :)