Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Nvidia 780 and 780Ti. What's the difference?

If I was to splash out on this upgrade from my 660Ti, would the 780 do or do I needs to push for the Ti? The price differential is significant.

I'm running an i7 @ 4.0

GTX 780: 2304 shaders, 192 TMUs, 863MHz core clock, 6GHz memory clock, 41.4GP/s pixel fill rate, 160.5GT/s texture fill rate, 288.4GB/s memory bandwidth.

GTX 780 Ti: 2880 shaders, 240 TMUs, 875MHz core clock, 7GHz memory clock, 42.0GP/s pixel fill rate, 210.2GT/s texture fill rate, 336.4GB/s memory bandwidth.

Everything else is the same.

Everything else is the same.

You forgot one big thing...........+100 bucks

Spec announcements are right around the corner for the 780Ti Classified as well.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Proof it by putting a price/ per improvement/!

I don't have both cards to test the exact price/performance ratio, but in hardware, when you pay more, you get more.

Or get an OC 770 to get close to the 780...? The problem with comparing GPU's is that you start thinking you might as well go one step up and get the better card but... then you might also go one step further to get an even better card. This also works the other way around. I was thinking about a GTX780Ti but the extra cost doesn't really justify the purchase over a GTX780 OC... but then I might as well save some more and get a regular GTX780... but then I mighst as well save some more and get a GTX 770 OC... but then I mighst as well save some more and get a regular GTX 770... And before you know it I might as well keep my GTX580. ^_^

Seriously though: I think I will get a GTX780 (no Ti) but I am still considering a GTX 770 OC (also because of the 4 GB VRAM... which I might never really use completely... and the slightly lower price...)

when you pay more, you get more.

Usually true (though not always) but the important question is if the extra bucks justify the extra performance. Would pay 50% more for 25% more (theoretical) performance? When you look at benchmarks the Ti is faster but not by that much. Sometimes a manually OC'ed GTX780 can come even closer. Imho the price difference between the two cards is too big to simply go for the faster one.

Or get an OC 770 to get close to the 780...? The problem with comparing GPU's is that you start thinking you might as well go one step up and get the better card but... then you might also go one step further to get an even better card. This also works the other way around. I was thinking about a GTX780Ti but the extra cost doesn't really justify the purchase over a GTX780 OC... but then I might as well save some more and get a regular GTX780... but then I mighst as well save some more and get a GTX 770 OC... but then I mighst as well save some more and get a regular GTX 770... And before you know it I might as well keep my GTX580. ^_^

It's not possible to get close to the GTX 780 by overclocking a GTX 770, they both have different architectures, and the GTX 770 is hampered by its 32 ROPs and 256-bit bus. The GTX 770 is already an overclocked GTX 680, which means that you cannot increase the clocks much higher until you hit the GK104's limits. The GTX 780 is a binned GK110 card which is a lot more stronger, and the difference really shows at resolutions 1080p and higher. The GTX 780 Ti presents the full, unadulterated GK110 architecture, which gives it the edge in shading the texture performance.

As for extra bucks justifying the extra performance, of course this doesn't apply to the high-end GPUs, but the fact that when you pay more, you get more is still true, even though the price/performance ratio becomes more uneven the higher you get. Those who want the best will have to pay a premium, but they will get the best.

I was in the debate over 770, 780 and 780 ti. After lots of research, asking questions on EVGA, Overclockers, ROG, and a couple of other forums, as well as studying all about GPU architectures the final decision came down to price vs preformance and what my future intentions were.

I decided against the 780ti because the chances of buying a second $700+ card was not likely. However I would buy a second $500+ card in the next couple of months. Since I run three monitors running an SLI system is beneficial. Single monitors do not gain allot from SLI. Again just my IMO.

Also note getting the OC cards preform much better on overclocks if you intend to put them on a water cooling loop. IMO if you are not intending to use a WC system save your money and get a lower clocked card.

Mr Chaotic hit the nail on the head with the 770 being a tweaked 680 statement.

Rob

"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it"

Well, invested in an Asus 780 3GB card today. £399 on Amazon