Sign in to follow this  
regamuffin

MD11 still pleasing

I enjoy the MD 11 as well.It's my preffeed plane. What I don't understand is that if we love it so much why didn't it do "good sales" . Good enough to convince PMDG to do a v2.

Yes,

I did a nice flight with the FedEx livery, short hop from England to Germany. Love it!

However, I noticed I have to plan my descent and approach very carefully. I often had the situation that the airplane was too high, passing the G/S magenta too high.  

Is it normal that the MD-11 does require a better attention during the descent and approach phase than the 737's do? I know this airplane is heavier, but the FMC does let me reach the approach altitude JUST-IN-TIME I noticed, so I have to arm the approach in the MD-11 way ahead before the initial approach phase kicks in.

Perhaps this is also the cause that this airplane is more automated than the 737. As for the 737 (and even 747) I often use the heading bug to make the localizer capture, in the MD-11 I let the FMC manage this.

Too conclude what I said previously, I noticed I am a bit more lazy (as for the activities) in the MD-11 than in the 737 or the 747 and even the 777. I am using more of the automation in the MD-11 than in the other planes I mentioned, does anybody feel the same?

Peter

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

I noticed I am a bit more lazy (as for the activities) in the MD-11 than in the 737 or the 747 and even the 777. I am using more of the automation in the MD-11 than in the other planes I mentioned, does anybody feel the same?

Yes, kind of.      I think for me it is because the MD-11 lends itself well to automated flight and most SOPs for the MD-11 have an early AP engagement, and a late disconnect (watch the ITVV MD-11 film).     I tend to engage AP more or less straight away in the MD-11, although I do enjoy a fully hands on manual approach sometimes.    but in this bird I prefer low viz, bad weather and enjoying the automation.

I prefer the MD-11 over the NGX and the 777. The 777 is REALLY nice but it isn't anything special or out of the norm. The MD-11 is a breath of fresh air and very different to anything else out there. While the NGX and 777 may be more popular, I think over time people will appreciate the MD-11 when they get bored of the Boeings.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Peter, the MD-11 is a lot easier to handle in the descent if you enter forecast winds for the way down. It is particularly difficult to keep on profile with a tailwind obviously...

plug in the forecasts early on and the tod position is earlier...

I always get to see when I forgot to enter the forecasts... I end up high and too fast...

There is definitely something special about the DC10/MD11 series of aircraft... I still love to see them thundering down on takeoff at Frankfurt...

A

It's a special bird.  The NGX and 777 are popular probably for a good chunk of people out there aspiring to be ATP pilots.  The MD-11 just look good and fly nice, plus there is something to it.  It's also kinda strange for PMDG to continue support for the JS4100 in P3D v2, a plane that does not fly in real world anymore, and chose to not bringing the MD-11 forward.  I still do not understand this.  Perhaps the systems in the MD-11 is far more complex to port forward?  I probably will never leave FSX because of this bird.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I prefer the MD-11 over the NGX and the 777. The 777 is REALLY nice but it isn't anything special or out of the norm. The MD-11 is a breath of fresh air and very different to anything else out there. While the NGX and 777 may be more popular, I think over time people will appreciate the MD-11 when they get bored of the Boeings.

Agreed       - a cult classic eh?  :smile:

It's also kinda strange for PMDG to continue support for the JS4100 in P3D v2, a plane that does not fly in real world anymore.

Oh yes it does!  Maybe not in the US, but there are many Jetstream 41s flying around the world;   Eastern Airways have 3 based at EGNT that fly day in day out.

Oh yes it does!  Maybe not in the US, but there are many Jetstream 41s flying around the world;   Eastern Airways have 3 based at EGNT that fly day in day out.

I stand corrected.  However the MD-11s are still flying also and as the JS4100 are not produced anymore.  If nothing else, I would like PMDG to continue to support this bird in P3D v2, I can live with the VC as is.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I'm a big fan of the MD11 as well.

Dave

I hope sometime in the future PMDG do a T7 style MD-11 although I highly doubt it as they have said before they won't. We can only dream for such things, however older looking the textures may be compared with the newer NGX and T7, its still one of those aircraft that keep you wanting to come back for more and more. 

Love md11 one of the best to fly. Still top rated for me did 777 cargo and the continued second leg on md11 and was like oh yea this is the shiznit feels good to fly it.

Thx

Andrei