Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

DCS A-10 Versus Iris FSX A-10

I'm not currently a DCS simmer but I think the A-10 is a pretty cool aircraft (I used to fly one in the old 'A-10 Tank Killer' days if anybody remembers that far back :O ) and I'd like to have one in FSX to buzz around in.

I've read several threads on how the systems fall woefully short on the Iris A-10 compared to the DCS version, but I'm curious how they compare specifically on their flight dynamics/model?  If anyone around here has flown both, can you comment? If it's bad, has anyone tweaked the flight model to improve it?

Cheers!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I cannot comment on the Iris A-10 as I don't have it.

I do fly the DCS Warthog actively and I can say that it easily compares to ex the VRS F/A-18E for FSX regarding systems depth. They both are study sims.

Comparing apples with peers, the DCS Warthog vs FSX VRS F/A-18E I personally think the flight dynamics in DCS are a whole different level. For example, in DCS you can see and 'feel' the increase in generated lift when take-ing off and thundering down the runway. This amazes me every time. In general it seems the FSX flight dynamics are more like 'flying on rails' when compared to DCS.

Off course DCS has missions and campaigns, simulating a battle field something that FSX doesn't have. (for the A-10 that is, off coarse there's TacPac for FSX now and the coming FSX@War)

So I'd recommend downloading DCS World that comes with a free SU-25. See if you like it and wait a few weeks for a sale that is probably coming up with the Holidays in sight. Or better, buy it straight away cause the DCS dev's deserve it and the A-10 is awesome. :)

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Also not to mention that, the DCS products with "DCS" titles are claimed to be simulating the flight dynamics with real-time calculations. That means they really count all the aerodynamic forces being excerted onto the wings, the fusluge, the stablizers, and even the landing gears, while FSX is only capable to simulate the general "behavior" with pre-programed scripts. Of course the formula used to calculat the aerodynamic in the DCS products are relatively simplfied to let our normal PC be able to handle, but it definatly achieves greater deepth than the simple scripts, and can be used to simulate much more complex aerodynamic effects.

The real-time calculations of aerodynamic effects also makes it possible to simulate the situations when you've got a bad shot on your A-10, like when you got some holes on your wing, or half of the stablized is knocked out, which is also something a A-10 pilot supposed to possiblely exprience. And DCS simulates those very well.

But after all, I really can't understand what makes sense to fly an A-10 in the FSX. The FSX is designed to simulate the civial aviation, it has the whole world to fly through, it has detailed terrin, it has all the VOR/DME and other navaids, but it's not the one presents you the battle field. And the DCS is designed to simulated the military aviation, it has many ground vehicals of all kind of ground units, includes all the mordern air-defense units, and creates a very realistic threaten environment for the aircrafts, as well as fairly excellent AI that simulates the ground combat of the ground units and troops who possibly needs the support from the aircrafts like A-10. However the DCS has by now only part of Georgia in the scene although it already has many geographical elements that can take place in a mordern combat. Plus that FSX is not designed to be capable to have great deepth simulation of the weapon system and all the demage of each types of weapons, which on the other hand the DCS was in the much earlier time a simulation entirly focused on the air combat (it was originally named Lock On: Mordern Air Combat).

I really don't see any points to try to fly a military aircraft in a simulation that military simulation is simply not seems to be it's purpose.

And apology to my bad English :P

You can download DCS World for free,It comes with two free aircraft,I suggest you try these and they will give you a good hint what The A-10 is like.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Yes, as Phantom88 pointed out, DCS World is a free download, and in the new version you even get a "Civil" version of the P51d, the TF51d, for free!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Old thread, but thanks for the replies gents. I have downloaded and tried DCS. Pretty impressive! However at this time, FSX is more of interest - in part because of the world-wide coverage, which allows me to fly in my own neighborhood as well as explore places I will never otherwise get to, and due to the 'open' nature of FSX which gives me the opportunity to make simming more of a hobby where I can add my own scenery, tweak aircraft etc.

I'm sure I'll revisit DCS in the future, but for now, FSX consumes all my available bandwidth.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Please don't forget the USP DCS Ace....Oculus Rift WORKS! and by lordy lord it's something to behold as well. I've dropped all my other Sims now just to fly with the Rift.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!