Sign in to follow this  
Rickie Welsh

flying 777LR200

Hello All,  No I am not waiting for medics wearing white coats. In the past week flying into KPHX I distinctly hear a bell ringing during the approach onto the runway, living in the UK and not familiar with the area, can someone confirm this occurrence. Much obliged.  Richard Welsh.

Is KPHX heavy on the memory-side? If so, it might be the VAS-warning going off. (meaning you're about to run out of Virtual Address Space)

I have heard this bell, but only on some replays of landings in FS Recorder.  I've looked at memory usage and I don't usually get near OOM (but maybe I do in some FS Recorder replays - haven't checked).

So, Richard, if the white coats are coming for you they will be coming for me soon enough!  Hope they allow flight simming at the funny farm.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The 'cabin ready' signal? (Look out for the white message appearing on the EICAS.)

I think Richard is talking about a longer lasting high-pitched bell of several seconds' duration.  I think it may be from the VAS warning from FSUIPC.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

distinctly hear a bell ringing during the approach onto the runway, living in the UK and not familiar with the area

I don't think there are any schools or churches in Phoenix that have loud bells that could be heard on approach...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Hi Guys,  Thanks for the variety of answers.  It cant be RAAS is it is not installed. I take note of the other posts re VAS and Cabin ready message but as Kenny lives in the area and discounts schools and churches in the vicinity, its more than likely one of the others. Its good to have a laugh Mike about the white coats coming.  Richard Welsh.

I hear this same bell while I was doing circuits at aerosoft anchorage x, sounded like those bells you hear when trains are approaching. It's more frequent than the oom chime, like ding ding ding ding ding ding ding, and not ding............... Ding................... Ding

outer/inner marker maybe?

kav

Hello Again,  I don't want to make this a saga but my curiosity was aroused. Tonight I flew the same route using the 737ngx instead of the 777 and this time I had the Process Explorer running in tandem on a separate monitor.  The virtual size was pretty static at 2,683,008K for most of the flight until nearing the approach at KPHX where it went to 3,100,000 until landing.  There were NO bells sounding nor EICAS messages, which made me think that the 777 was the culprit and Kriva may have been right re the VAS using the 777.  I would like to think I am wrong in this assessment of the 777. and maybe those getting OOMs at some addon airports could be the cause. Richard Welsh.

Hi, everyone,

According to the FSUIPC Advanced Users manual, the OOM is only two "Windows error/warning beeps" so I think that's not what this is.

Take a look in the FSX/Sound/PMDG/777x/Various/ folder and click on the two "PMDG_777_GroundCall.wav" files and see if this is the same sound.  I think that's what I heard in FS-Recorder replays.  Still don't know what it means or why it's going off.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2