Sign in to follow this  
jfri

DX10 with and without the fixer, conclusions ?

I just tried DX10 without Steves DX10 fixer. From a test flight in the Realair Lancair Legacy at Seattle I noticed that fps was a bit lower compared to DX9 and the amount of stuttering was the same as before. That rises a question about what conclusion can be drawn from this ? In my old Phenom II X4 with GTS250 system I saw a significant increase in fps and better smoothness when I used the free DX10 fixer. Is things different when I use a Haswell 4760K with a GTX770 , i.e only expect improved performance with slower system ?

Or is the fixer going to change performance in DX10 compared to just enabling DX10 in FSX ?

Important things for me in deciding if I'm going to buy this fixer. Another thing I remembered from before is that tool tips won't work in full screen mode. Is it the same with the commercial DX10 fixer.

I just tried DX10 without Steves DX10 fixer. From a test flight in the Realair Lancair Legacy at Seattle I noticed that fps was a bit lower compared to DX9 and the amount of stuttering was the same as before. That rises a question about what conclusion can be drawn from this ? 

Sorry, my friend jfri - you're not going to get a definitive answer or conclusion, by just "try DX10 out".

It is a different FlightSim because it's using a different graphics engine. The whole architecture of DX10 is different to DX9.

It takes most moderately experienced flightsimmers (you don't have to be a genius) at least two good weeks of flying and testing, adjusting, asking questions before one can arrive at an "opinion" which "may" be close to getting the sweet spot for the DX10 simulator. You also need to read and undewrstand the DX1o "How-To: guide, as much of that is still pertinent to the retail version, and contains a number of links to some pretty important reference docs.

The retail version also has many features which the patch system doesn't have. Here are some pics - and the manual itself.

Right - ToolTips don't work in fullscreen when using DX10. Real world aircraft don't have ToolTips either!

jfri - you simply cannot compare a Phenom running at 3.9 GHz and a 650 to a 4670K and a 770! These are light-years apart in potential performance. The 4670K at 4.6 or 4.7 GHz and a 770 will blow the socks off 50% of the FSX pc's in current use. It will be smooth: it will be OOM free: it will carry heavier graphics:  and so on.

I don't have to try to persuade you - I'm not selling the Fixer, and I have no part in Steve's company - but the features and benefits which DX10, properly setup is quite on a par with P3D, and has the capability of backward compatibility - you can still use most, or all of your old stable of airports and aircraft from FS9. This stuff is documented on many forums all over the web - even on YouTube.

It's up to you. 

All the best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Sorry, my friend jfri - you're not going to get a definitive answer or conclusion, by just "try DX10 out".

It is a different FlightSim because it's using a different graphics engine. The whole architecture of DX10 is different to DX9.

It takes most moderately experienced flightsimmers (you don't have to be a genius) at least two good weeks of flying and testing, adjusting, asking questions before one can arrive at an "opinion" which "may" be close to getting the sweet spot for the DX10 simulator. You also need to read and undewrstand the DX1o "How-To: guide, as much of that is still pertinent to the retail version, and contains a number of links to some pretty important reference docs.

The retail version also has many features which the patch system doesn't have. Here are some pics - and the manual itself.

Right - ToolTips don't work in fullscreen when using DX10. Real world aircraft don't have ToolTips either!

jfri - you simply cannot compare a Phenom running at 3.9 GHz and a 650 to a 4670K and a 770! These are light-years apart in potential performance. The 4670K at 4.6 or 4.7 GHz and a 770 will blow the socks off 50% of the FSX pc's in current use. It will be smooth: it will be OOM free: it will carry heavier graphics:  and so on.

I don't have to try to persuade you - I'm not selling the Fixer, and I have no part in Steve's company - but the features and benefits which DX10, properly setup is quite on a par with P3D, and has the capability of backward compatibility - you can still use most, or all of your old stable of airports and aircraft from FS9. This stuff is documented on many forums all over the web - even on YouTube.

It's up to you. 

All the best,

pj

I have read through the manual now. It seem straight forward to install it and use default options.

My 4670K is clocked to 4.5 GHz and at KSEA not quite smooth. Do I understand you correctly that you mean

I shouldn't expect any improvement in performance and fps since my current system is so powerful that DX10

can't improve it further.

{quote]Do I understand you correctly that you mean I shouldn't expect any improvement in performance and fps since my current system is so powerful that DX10 can't improve it further.

No - not at all!!!   How do you read that into my words, jfri??  I was comparing your old system to your new system.  When DX10 is properly setup, it will improve any system - not just old systems and not just new systems.

DX10 is a more modern graphics subsystem for the newer graphics card (such as the 770) to use when a program (like fsx) comes along that uses DX10. It's an upgrade.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Good morning everyone,

If I can I would like to chime in on this one. I have been away from FSX for awhile now. I have to say with out a doubt that FSX DX10 now runs exactly the way that I wanted it to run years ago  :yahoo: !!

With Steves DX10 fixer and with pj's help and suggestions I now have a brand new sim to fly and am amazed at the lighting at night which I had blinking lights and now I have steady flow of lights when flying. Also, the papi lights are fixed and I now have realistic lights on the papi lights and runway lights. Thank you Steve P and pj for a sim that is now great to fly with.

Now for FPS, I also have a frame rate decrease even with the beefed up machine that I run. The real and only reason is how much am I running when I have the low fps? When I run all of my scenery, weather, aircraft and my load on graphics is extremely high and don't miss understand I am not talking about jacking the sliders to max. While flying at LAX I will get a lower FPS around 12-16-22. The reason is that California is highly graphically intense.  This is one testing I have done and then I flew in my hometown and the FPS is running very smooth and with the highly intense graphics in the LAX area and others will have a heck of a pull on the machine. This is a common thing and you can not get away from it. Take a look at "my pc" and you can see what the machine is running at. So, when the graphics stutters a little bit and I am getting less fps than I think I should I now think of how much I am pushing the machine to do what my demands on the machine are.

Anther thing is when I fly LAX I should be shutting down all the scenery that i am not planning on flying over and this is done through the FSX Scenery Library. This will help. I might add, my profile on what I run is not up to date and when I get some time I will have to update it.

Les H :hi:  

{quote]Do I understand you correctly that you mean I shouldn't expect any improvement in performance and fps since my current system is so powerful that DX10 can't improve it further.

No - not at all!!!   How do you read that into my words, jfri??  I was comparing your old system to your new system.  When DX10 is properly setup, it will improve any system - not just old systems and not just new systems.

DX10 is a more modern graphics subsystem for the newer graphics card (such as the 770) to use when a program (like fsx) comes along that uses DX10. It's an upgrade.

And what is properly setup ? Is not installing the fixer and accept the default settings good ? Also one detail comes to my mind. The setting in FSX is DX preview. What is in preview ? Can the fixer give us real DX10 and not only a preview ?

Once again, you can achieve a full screen window using Pseudo Full Screen

which you can install for yourself by visiting the Avsim Library and downloading

pseudo_full_screen.zip.

I fly in full screen and find tooltips helpful and key on some addon aircraft which use them to tell you what a control is doing, particularly useful when setting a radio or autopilot.

The name Dx10 preview cannot be changed as it is fixed in FSX.

Once the fixer is installed and configured Dx10 will work just about as it should have

if Microsoft had finished it.

Its key advantage is that out of memory errors are much harder to achieve, so more complex aircraft and scenery can be used together without exceeding the 4096 mb virtual address space limit. This has nothing to do with how powerful a computer is.

Most of us also prefer the way that water is displayed and animated.

You must make your own decision, there are numerous testimonials in this forum but this is a discussion forum, not an advertisement and we are users, not sales staff.

Regards,

Nick.