Sign in to follow this  
nelsly

A note on active sky next

Why is this "insanity"?

Seriously, it would be my hope that developers would continue to try pushing the envelope, and in fact in many ways each of the engines you mention did bring something new to the plate.

Agree 100% with your reply here.

This continuous innovation, competition between vendors, leapfrogging each other at times, is what drives software technology forward. Surely we don't want monopolies in any branch  IT, as we have in so many other fields of commerce these days!

Its good for we customers to have these choices, and of course any developer is going to advertise like crazy after putting in so much effort, to get their product to be the preferred one!

We simmers either seem to be complaining about the lack of options and features we have, or else complaining or being cynical when presented with a wide choice to make, and a steady stream of new innovations.

FSX, XP10, P3D I say bring them all on, we are the winners in the end.

Rob

Robin Harris

Why is this "insanity"? 

Seriously, it would be my hope that developers would continue to try pushing the envelope, and in fact in many ways each of the engines you mention did bring something new to the plate.  When I bought Opus, it was a dramatic improvement over the older version of REX that I'd been struggling with.  Then REX stepped up with (several) improved versions of their wx engine with no-cost upgrades and since that time I've used both, depending on situations  Still, each of these has limitations and some of those limitations are addressed by ASN.

I'm not willing to pay every time, for every upgrade but I certainly am for some things.  But accurately depicted wx is very high on my sim-must-have list.  There are certainly things other simmers find important that I place further down the list.

Scott

It's just my opinion. I personally find it silly to spend so much over a short amount of time for weather. What others do I have no opinion of. There is obviously a market.. 

I spent $40 for REX brand new / 3-2012

I spent $70 for AS2012 brand new / 4-2012

$110 for two products a year and a half ago that in so many words I'm being told are obsolete already. 

Both were supported great mind you..   Just every time I turned around since then there was another king of the hill and to this day the shuffling continues with replacements for those two products just over a year later.  Competition is great but spending that kind of money in a fast moving market is not. I personally will wait till the market plateaus.. I like weather as much as the next guy but I enjoy wisely spending my money more. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

If it does exactly what it says it will do on the tin in FSX then I'll wait till the P3D version materialises. I really can't fathom a reason for spending any more money on the old girl.

HifiSim says the license for FSX is also valid for P3D2--no need to buy again for P3D.

I've only got a few hours under my belt flying with ASN in FSX, but so far I'm impressed coming from the AS2012/ASA/ASE/AS6.5 line of progression.  This does not look like repackaging or refinement of the same old stuff to me.  I just bought REX a few days ago during the 50% off sale, and wasn't really enamored with its weather compared to AS2012, but then I bought it pretty much just for the texture sets.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I've bought at least 3 Airbus versions until now, and will probably buy the FSLabs version too when it get's released... I did the same with 744s, etc... Why? Because I always want to get the best available at the moment!

That's also why I bought P3D v1 Profesional monthly subscription, and now P3D v2 Professional monthly subscription, although I am awaiting the first patch to install it and start using it seriously :-)  The first contact with this rather promising platform was, nonetheless, very rewarding! and I just do not own the hardware that can really make it show all of it's potential!!!

This is a common problem with our simming activities :-/

Regarding AS products I did not spend money in ASN ( yet ), but after beta-testing AS2012, and getting the beta permanent keys, I bought it from Simmarket ( as I did with all other versions ), because it was such a great product that I felt I had to support HiFiTechInc!  The fact is I di not see beta-testing as a task I'm "payed" for, but rather as a great possibility to participate in a project I am interested in contributing to.

I will most probably buy ASN too :-)

I do not own Opus , but I did use FSGRW, and I also consider it a very good weather injector!!! I would probably like Opus as well, but the truth is I am finding in ASN all I could ask.

I also never modify the cloud / sky textures. I keep the default ones, just as I do with scenery, because I know for sure FSX's ( and apparently P3FDv2's ) memory management is not as wide as I get in X-plane 10, so, I avoid encountering OOMs and other problems, and was able to fly long intercontinental flights in my beloved PMDG 777 with ASN injecting weather ( sometimes very nasty weather!!! ), without a single glitch! Cloud transitions, winds and temperatures smoothly changing across those long flights!

As a matter of fact, beta testing ASN in FSX brought me back to flying this sim more than I do X-Plane 10. I am using the DX10 fixer enhancement, which I also can only suggest to anyone still using FSX in DX9 mode, and ASN + DX10 fixed FSX + PMDG's 777, NGX or Aerosoft's AXE, or A2A's C172 and P51D, or RealAir's Duke v2, really shine together!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

REX Essentials was supposed to be the IT weather app
Then AS2012 was supposed to be the IT weather app
Then OpenClouds was supposed the IT weather app
Then FSGW was supposed to be the IT weather app
Then Opus was supposed to be the IT weather app
Now ASN is supposed to be the IT weather app
Next Rex Direct will supposly be the IT weather app

You forgot the recently announced OpusFSI…  ^_^

I also never modify the cloud / sky textures. I keep the default ones, just as I do with scenery, because I know for sure FSX's ( and apparently P3FDv2's ) memory management is not as wide as I get in X-plane 10, so, I avoid encountering OOMs and other problems

I can't stand the default clouds, they are too ugly and fake, but apart from that: add-on clouds don't have to be bigger in size than the default ones. I use REX clouds at 512x512 and so they certainly will not make OOMs more probable. Imho you are missing out on some serious graphical improvements by sticking to default clouds!  ^_^

I tried the demo....didn't really feel it offered anything that I don't already get with Opus in all honesty.

So OPUS never gives you cloud redraw and huge wind shifts. A true working weather radar and with cloud draw distant over writing your fsx, you can set it within ASN to 60 min e.g 140 max and it work out what draw you need from the height your flying.

Just to name a few things that I don't see from a year with OPUS.

O how about the fantastic turbulence in ASN, "honesty" it's a different level.

I said something similar in the ASN thread and well yeah.

Summary

REX Essentials was supposed to be the IT weather app

Then AS2012 was supposed to be the IT weather app

Then OpenClouds was supposed the IT weather app

Then FSGW was supposed to be the IT weather app

Then Opus was supposed to be the IT weather app

Now ASN is supposed to be the IT weather app

Next Rex Direct will supposly be the IT weather app

(This isn't even counting pre Rex Essentials and AS2012, which makes the list even longer but I started personally w/ REX Ess))

Insanity.. I stopped at AS2012 when I realized the carrot dangling was only getting worse and the amount of cash you'd spend chasing the "next big thing"  is insane.

Yer strange thing progression, you could drive your 10 year old car and it will get you from A to B fine, but if you buy a 2014 car it just might have a few things more than the old models.

Yes progress is a strange thing!

As for the next gen OPUS and REX. REX textures DX11 for P3D yes great. REX weather engine, not for me and now I have a engine that does what finally I always wanted, I think it will have to be one hell of a new "model" to top ASN. But one will come that's better, it always will. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

(...)

Yer strange thing progression, you could drive your 10 year old car and it will get you from A to B fine, but if you buy a 2014 car it just might have a few things more than the old models.

Yes progress is a strange thing!

(...)

Am I really forced to buy a new car every couple of months?!?   :rolleyes:

Who is that cruel person forcing me?   :P

You don't have to buy anything. :P

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

A suggestion - when you get the trial - use the SEARCH function to find some bad weather - set your flight up there and see what happens. Look for cloud popping, wind shifts, crazy temps - use the weather radar to find and avoid or fly through bad weather. When you take off through the mist, look behind you.

You'll notice a lot of things have change.

I don't really like to hype but one user used a phrase in a post that I really like and I quote:

"This is the first time in FSX that the weather really matters!"

Because of the NDA I can't say anything about the P3D2 version except - So far so good!

Remember, it' a FREE trial - you have nothing to lose.

Enjoy.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

How did you guys get it to work on Prepar3d 2.0?

I didn't read that anyone did.  I'd like to know this too if so!  My FSX dual boot is falling apart as usual, the unstable devil child, and I don't want to have that inferior filth on my P3D2 system.  (j/k.  I'm a little tired of the P3D2 bashing)

some of y'all are missing the idea of ASN..   it's not just the visuals.   This program does stuff that no other weather program has done before.  fly through a thunderstorm in ASN and then opus or any other weather program and see what I mean. I have opus and when it first came out it was ground breaking on the visuals but I have always had horrible wind shifts and cloud redraws.  This is ground breaking on the actual weather and the effects of that weather on your plane.    

I don't like to waste my money but when something better comes along that improves the realism of this hobby I buy it. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

How did you guys get it to work on Prepar3d 2.0?

No one did yet, unless they are beta testers. The ASN version for P3D will be a really different version (LUCKILY) because P3D 2.0 isn't FSX and there are real differences. 

No one did yet, unless they are beta testers. The ASN version for P3D will be a really different version (LUCKILY) because P3D 2.0 isn't FSX and there are real differences.

Yes guys - it is in beta. The FSX version will NOT run in P3D 1.4 or 2.0.

We are working on it. I CAN say it will be worth the wait for us P3D2 users!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors