Sign in to follow this  
DylanM

New York City X and P3D V2

Given how well the engine seems to handle terrain and autogen (and the fact I'm getting a bit impatient for the full-fat ORBX region installers :lol:) I decided to load up New York City X to see if made any difference there...

Results? Pretty damn amazing. I'd be getting a 10-15 FPS slideshow in FSX with my hardware, but here I'm getting between 20-30 FPS (even with hi-res textures and aircraft / building shadows enabled).

This is me plonked atop the Met Life building! Granted, this scenery is still not fully V2 ready (a few black textures temporarily appear on buildings), but things sure are promising. 

post-182129-0-98424800-1386556643.jpg

Great shot!

Love the way the buildings to the right of the cockpit are in full sun whilst the buildings in the center of the picture are in shadow.

Matthew S

That's not New York City.... it's Gotham, LOL!  

I haven't a clue when he made it so dark and dreary, so much it begs for a sonnet. Seems DD thinks everything should be shaded into bleakness.  I don't come close to understanding it.

Otherwise, the scenery isn't bad.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I am very impressed with NYC X in P3D v2. If they get the "night texture on day-time buildings" and black building texture bugs fixed when they release a P3d v2 version, it really will be astonishingly cool. I get better frame rates with this then I do with the stock P3D NYC scenery!

- Bill Magann

The next obvious thing to do would be to run the Aerosoft New York and check the frames on that!

In the meantime, I have ordered a new video card, and am surprised to find that I am almost more interested to see what it does in Train Simulator.......   :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have the Aerosoft Manhattan X. I get very good frames with that too. And I drive Train Simulator! PRR and the Horseshoe Curve is my favorite to run.

- Bill Magann

I have the Aerosoft Manhattan X. I get very good frames with that too. And I drive Train Simulator! PRR and the Horseshoe Curve is my favorite to run.

I went to the Horseshoe curve with the family and spent the day. Great fun.  :lol:

Then of course, I immediately purchased the scenery.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Those fps numbers with building shadows enabled? :lol:  I dun think so.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It's not as big a hit as I thought it would be. The 780ti makes a huge difference.

And I should point out that when I run that scenery I just use my center monitor, not all three. The way NYC X renders the scenery makes it ugly with the wide-field view you get at 5800x1080. You can't have everything!

- Bill Magann

Actually I just tried it and I'm shocked too! I have to work out some black textures that I'm getting, but other than that, fps is surprisingly good considering. And that is with building shadows enabled. Mind you I am not running any traffic, not even road traffic.

Edit: Meh...nevermind, fps is the same if not worse than FSX for me and I am running NO other addons except Opus (disabled) and FTXG and I disabled building shadows. My rig is no slouch so not sure what to make of this.

Frames and fluidity were ok at this point.

2YcCQ.jpg

Then it went buh bye...

8B5u7.jpg

sC63F.jpg

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

It might be better with a slower plane? Just a (hopeful) theory lol. I use the stunt plane because it always gets good frame rates in both programs.

- Bill Magann

Hmmmmm.... considering that the scenery is pretty likely converted Google stuff, and that even my ipad can zoom/rotate great swaths of that, I wonder if it could be something in the implementation within P3D that's slowing things down....

Can you turn down the draw distance.....?

Devons rig

Darn it Marc..! Just got back here to prove I had shadows on! :P Granted it does appear some of the custom objects aren't casting, but you can see from the bridge shadows that I have the setting enabled. 

I do get the issue with the black textures every once in a while, but wonder what's going on with the slowdown? Have you tried a slower aircraft? There is a post on the Drzewiecki forums that they're still working out the issues with LM...

post-182129-0-02724500-1386648518.jpg

post-182129-0-54271600-1386648524.jpg

Good looking 'copter! Go Navy!

- Bill Magann