Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Seems like Opus are always one jump ahead!

Seems like Opus are always one jump ahead:-

Cloud Popping ... Problem Solved

The new 3.38.0 beta due to be posted tomorrow looks like it is going to put an end to ALL major cloud popping by preserving all of the cloud coverage that surrounds the aircraft. The new Cloud Smoothing software designed for the OpusFSI upgrade has been incorporated into OpusFSX to make sure it can be used without any delay.

With the knowledge we have gained and the various anti wind shift measures we have incorporated into OpusFSX we are now very confident that the new Dynamic Wind Targeting software in OpusFSI will virtually eliminate ALL wind shifts. This is all without resorting to globalising the weather, so still the same varied and detailed Opus weather.

Pseudo Cloud Effects ...

We have a number of typical meteorological cloud layering effects that we will be looking to incorporate into the LWE. These layers occur regularly in nature but do not normally appear in the METARs so we will most likely add an option to enable them in the Weather Preferences dialog. Users who want to minimise the cloud layers can then leave the option disabled.

Its all looking very good for 2014.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

If that is true.. and I see smooth transitions to new cloud situations... Then I won't move to ASN.

If that is true.. then the only thing needed will be the weather - radar. If ASN did it, I don't think OpusFSX can do it.

I want to preserve my life cameras in Opus and don't move. Hope what you are saying is correct!

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

We have ALREADY done it.

Just display the LWA weather maps, they go beyond what a weather radar shows and will allow you to display a great deal of information in map form.

If you had followed the OpusFSX on going progress and succession of betas and upgrades you would know we looked at weather radar a very long time ago and then decided and announced a far better scheme of allowing a variety of weather data to be examined using the various weather maps, in both the LWA and as separate small weather maps.

Stephen :biggrin:

P.S.

The Live Weather Assistant provides useful weather information for the current Opus 800 x 800 mile weather map displayed graphically as a mosaic of 6400 weather cells in either a large or small footprint map with options for ...

Surface Pressure (QNH),

Surface Winds,

Surface Visibility,

Surface Temperature,

Cruise Level Winds,

Cruise Level Temperatures,

Precipitation Levels,

Low Cloud Cover,

Met Station Cover.

The large map and up to six small Weather Maps can be opened and positioned on the screen. This information can also be displayed on a networked client system.

As I said above. The weather radar feature was considered a long time ago and we decided to go FAR BEYOND the limitations of a weather radar and develop the Opus Weather Maps instead. These maps show the weather data in the highest possible resolution employed within the sim.

Stephen :biggrin:

If you are not familiar with our pioneering weather maps then please go to our web page. This is all old school. Once again 95%+ of what is being claimed as new in ASN is really nothing of the sort and has already been included in the OpusFSX Live Weather Engine.

Our LWE has been doing ALL this stuff for a very long time, we even use the excellent Opus weather maps in the RW when checking and waiting for weather to clear before going flying. As I have said its more a case of copying and catching up rather than adding anything new.

We invented and pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes a long time ago.

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi.htm

Stephen

Maybe I am stupid.. but I don't find the way to zoom in in the maps. I saw them.. but as you say 800miles are too much for me. I need the weather in front of the plane for several miles I choose to zoom in or out. Just like a real radar weather. Not everything around the plane. The radar is projected over the front of the plane.

I have to say the same about ASN.. I don't like their new weather radar because it seems like a map, than a radar. It shows everything around the plane, but at least (maybe opusfsx also do it, but didn't find the way to do it.. reading the documentation), it shows more close distance to the plane of the weather.

BUT for me the most important is to have what I have already in OpusFSX (that are lot of things!!!!) but that smooth transition in weather loading instead of all those cloud popping or disappearing suddently... BUT having changes in weather everywhere. No more menus to say (don't want to change weather in final). If everything is smooth (appearing and winds) then the changes of weather loading will be really welcome in OPUSFSX!!!

You cannot zoom in the map, but the map data is displayed at the highest resolution of weather in the sim. The LWA map is quite large and can be displayed on a client system or moved over into a dedicated screen. This map size is perfectly good enough for government work :-)

Thousands of people use the maps without any problems, certainly good enough to give you an overall picture of the most important meteorological parameters that are likely to affect your flight. For finer detail of course you need only look up at the sky or out of the cockpit.

We may add one level of zoom, something that has been down on the 'To Do' list but will most likely wait until we overlay the wind arrows. But with FSX and P3D its best to just get a reasonable idea of what weather lies around you and en route. If you enter a flight plan then all waypoints will be plotted on the map and it becomes quite easy to determine exactly what weather and conditions lie ahead of your simulated journey.

Even if you zoom in you cannot alter the resolution of the weather data in the sim. Its not a case of finding out how to do it. We invented and pioneered ALL of this stuff, and have been using it for quite some time.

Been there, invented and pioneered the methods, done it, moved on, and now developing for the future !

Stephen :-)

....certainly good enough to give you an overall picture of the most important meteorological parameters that are likely to affect your flight. For finer detail of course you need only look up at the sky or out of the cockpit.

:wink: Ain't dat da troof?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Japo32,

Please read my descriptions of Cloud Smoothing and the planned OpusFSI upgrade. We have solved cloud popping and will be incorporating all the features in OpusFSI 2014, but there ARE consequences. We will tell everyone what the downside and consequences are and leave users to decide if they want the option. It is impossible to prevent cloud popping and still have 100% accurate weather ... FSX does not work that way ! There is no magic wand, FSX handles clouds in a certain way and that will not change unless LM rewrite the code. FSX drags cloud or clear skies along with it while you fly, it always has done. Hence, the cloud around your aircraft will over time differ from the intended RW weather.

OpusFSX has always given you RW weather, we invented and pioneered it !

But if you are going to accommodate some of the quirks in FSX then there has to be some give or compromise. Its very straight forward. Just as zooming the map will not provide you with any further useful information.

Installed the latest beta this weekend and it seemed "smoother" overall with better defaults for the type of low level flights I do. Kudos again for visible improvements and ongoing support!

FWIW, a weather display gauge that could be installed in a panel and viewed directly in FSX would be really nice :ph34r:

Pleased to hear that Jack.

Gauges are really down to panel design and the responsibility of the aircraft sim. We may look into something like this in the future and would certainly be willing to let any aircraft developer, or third party developer, know about the format and content of the Opus Weather Map data file.

In fact I might publish details of the weather map file format for anyone to make use of as they see fit.

In all fairness to Opus, the ASN weather radar doesn't look like a radar to me, but rather like a different kind of wx map.

Quite possibly very similar to what OPUS has already provided via the LWE maps? Only difference is in sim and with a different "coloring" scheme?

We have a great deal planned for the Live Weather Assistant as its name suggests, not just a map display but providing much more weather related information in real time. The LWA weather maps was just the first phase of developing the LWA feature.

Stephen

Yes yes.. It was very clear to me the limitations of FSX about weather and all the bugs... and the only way to have smooth transitions internally was to put global weather instead of themes and local injections. BUT as Majestic did with their Q400 in their flight dynamics, that are controlled outside fsx.. Then I ask myself if it is not possible to override that FSX code from outside... 

Lockeed Martin has the code to change the weather system.. but I believe they changed too little of it. They had lot of years to do it.. and I don't think they will fix that legacy from FSX. I hope be wrong.

Stephen, would you guys be able to provide clouds location, precipitation, etc. so third party aircrafts could add weather radar capability (as announced with ASN?)

Regards

John.