Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Seems like Opus are always one jump ahead!

I don't usually try the betas, but if you were able to get smooth cloud transitions, I'll try it out for sure.

Thanks

We will add a range adjustable weather radar feature in our new OpusFSI to be released next year. It will be an extension or addition to the LWA Live Weather Assistant. The radar map will displayable on either the server or a client system and possibly in both large and small footprint windows.

The radar's range will be adjustable between 20 and 160 statute miles, or perhaps 10nm to 100nm might be better. The range will be adjusted by simply clicking on the desired button on the radar dialog. We could also allow the user to select a range of altitude zones with an option to anchor the data to the aircraft's current altitude.

We do not intend producing an aircraft panel but will provide the radar map file location and format for any aircraft designers or third parties to access and use the data.

Cheryl

Japo32 and Robert, try the new beta, we are getting some positive feedback regarding the new cloud smoothing option.

Cheryl :smile:

Did a quick comparison between ASN and OPUS at KORD. Only clouds reported were Scattered at FL250. ASN showed clear below FL200 in their in sim messages and left a high altitude cirrus. While OPUS showed scattered clouds high up with the cirrus.

My first impression just from that is that ASN does not depict cloud levels above FL200.

According to OPUS (Steven)

"

Our LWE has been doing ALL this stuff for a very long time, we even use the excellent Opus weather maps in the RW when checking and waiting for weather to clear before going flying. As I have said its more a case of copying and catching up rather than adding anything new.

We invented and pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes a long time ago."

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't  OPUS just appear on the scene a year or so ago?

How can you make such claims? A bit more documentation of your "pioneering" would be helpful.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't  OPUS just appear on the scene a year or so ago?

Somehow, 2007 sticks in my mind for Version 1.0. Version 2.0 was released in late summer of 2012. Steve Halpern will probably chime in and give the exact date.

I've been using it only for the past 7 or 8 months and I alternate back and forth (or to and fro) among OPUSFSX, FSGRW and REX.

OpusFSX has always given you RW weather, we invented and pioneered it !

Behave yourself, I was using third party weather engines in MS flight simulators almost a decade before OPUS turned up.

just compared asn trial with my opus at EGLL at 50m visibility asn gave me a nice effect while opus gave me quite a clear sky i can see all the way down to the runway. while i cant in asn. 

Can anyone explain to me?

Behave yourself, I was using third party weather engines in MS flight simulators almost a decade before OPUS turned up.

Same here. But that was Global weather. Opus was the first to implement "Real Weather"

Edit: Correction for Hook's benefit : ( Who seems to get a buzz out of  arguing every post i make) Opus invented and pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes a long time ago."

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Opus was the first to implement "Real Weather"

Do what??

How many Microsoft employees does it take to change a lightbulb?

None.  Microsoft will declare darkness the new standard.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

We invented and pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes a long time ago."

A bit more documentation of your "pioneering" would be helpful.

Seeing as you have such a keen interest in OpusFSX ...

OpusFSX was first released 14 Dec 2011 with our pioneering use of Weather Themes.

We have released over 200 new versions since then with many unique enhancements and innovations, all of which are detailed in our release notes.

Cheryl

Cheryl, with all due respect that is just delusional.

Weather themes have been part of the SDK's for almost a decade now.

Klaus Prichatz and many others developers were using them in FS9.

Static Weather Themes are NOT a documented feature of FSX ... They have NEVER been.

They had NEVER been used for DYNAMIC WEATHER UPDATES. In order to do this using these undocumented file formats you have to first realise it can be done, then decode and decipher the data file binary content so that the software can CREATE a Dynamic Weather Theme and load it into the sim.

The feature to load static themes is included in SimConnect, and people had created static weather themes using the FS9 tool ... It is OBVIOUS that the ability to load static themes is included in SimConnect. if it weren't then no one would be able to use them at all .. For static or now for dynamic weather.

But there is NO INFORMATION, and NO DOCUMENTED SUPPORT for these 'static' theme files from Microsoft. Microsoft did NOT intend them for such a use. Nor did ANY weather engine developer ever think of using them until Opus showed them the way. For years they all just used the documented weather injection methods.

Hence, YES, Opus invented and pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes.

If you think this is a supported feature of FSX then pray show me the documentation describing how to create them ?

Stephen

Put simply, you did NOT have real world weather until Opus came along and used the novel method of creating Dynamic Weather Themes and injecting dynamic RW weather using this unique method.

Stephen

just compared asn trial with my opus at EGLL at 50m visibility asn gave me a nice effect while opus gave me quite a clear sky i can see all the way down to the runway. while i cant in asn. 

Can anyone explain to me?

The explanation is simple, you don't have any OpusFSX weather injected, please consult the Getting Started guide. We have gained a reputation for generating real world weather, it is all explained in the Getting Started guide and the Recommended Practices.

Stephen

I think recent events really speak for themselves, before OpusFSX, every weather engine injected weather using the know and documented but flawed methods. OpusFSX pioneered the use of Dynamic Weather Themes and led the way in injecting actual RW weather into the sim allowing weather fronts to be seen and weather to be stable and not just vanish after you had flown past it. Now everyone is copying our method and going over to use the undocumented Dynamic Weather Themes method.

Stephen :-)