Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Seems like Opus are always one jump ahead!

my bad was trying Prepar3d 2 before going for my trip last minute :P Just came back yesterday change to FSX in OPUS and now its working sorry bout that 

Remember the American Express slogan from times past, "don't leave home without it"?

OPUS has a slogan too, "don't fly FSX without it!" Well, those are my personal feelings at least.  The latest beta update 3.38.0 hasn't eliminated cloud popping entirely, but I must say it's a huge improvement over times past.  There's much more instore for 2014 and I'm happy to be along for the ride :rolleyes:

Chris Sunseri

my bad was trying Prepar3d 2 before going for my trip last minute :P Just came back yesterday change to FSX in OPUS and now its working sorry bout that

No problem, easily done!

Cheryl

OPUS has a slogan too, "don't fly FSX without it!":

I like it!

Cheryl :)

OPUS has a slogan too, "don't fly FSX without it!" Well, those are my personal feelings at least.  The latest beta update 3.38.0 hasn't eliminated cloud popping entirely, but I must say it's a huge improvement over times past.  There's much more instore for 2014 and I'm happy to be along for the ride

What settings are you using if you don't mind me asking? I just downloaded the latest beta too and I'm still seeing, IMO, too much cloud popping too. I am using default settings with the exception I think of the could draw distance which I have at 96km.

I know I've been scolded for this before but I think it's still valid to ask questions like this here. Otherwise how can we get answers and resolutions. Plus, make Opus better! I've been testing that other weather engine that has the 7 day trial before buying and I really do like the lack of wind shifts and cloud popping. However they are doing it, it's working. Sorry to mention that. But it is. My trial is almost up and I'm trying hard not to purchase...

But, the reason I ask is will we see this in OpusFSX or do we have to wait til OpusFSI? Or, is it something you aren't going to try to diminish to the level of the other engine?

I believe I read somewhere where Steven was saying that it's impossible to remove the cloud popping in FSX. Then how does the other weather engine do it? Is it at a cost of accurate weather? Or some other cost? There has to be a price to pay with the other engine then if it's not possible.

Whatever the cost is with that engine, it is something that is acceptable to me to have those "bugs" taken care of. I know not everyone agrees with me and that's fine. But, maybe that could be an option(actually like it is now with the enable cloud smoothing if it would just work). If you sacrifice the latest and greatest weather accuracy to have "smooth" weather. I'll take that. To me, that's better than clouds popping and winds shifting.

Again, this is not meant to be negative or promote someone else or whatever made you take this wrong in the other topic I commented on. I want to stay with Opus. So please take this as constructive criticism. I like your DHM/cameras and turbulence effects better and your weather engine has been the best and is still right there. It's just the darn cloud popping and wind shifts. I so want them to be gone. I don't want to switch and spend $30+ to get it when I have all the other features that I love so much too with Opus.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

"and spend $30+ to get it when I have all the other features that I love so much too with Opus. 

Full Version: $49.99 (USD) or ~€36.99 (EUR)

ZORAN

What settings are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Kevin,

I'm using mostly default settings, but have my surface visibility set for 48km and weather to refresh every 10 minutes or 100km.  I'm still seeing ever so slight weather changes with today's update (3.38.2) as I just completed a short flight.  It's less noticeable than the update a couple days ago so definite progress is being made.  As far as sudden wind shifts go, it's been several months since I've experienced any. 

Chris Sunseri

Kevin,

I'm using mostly default settings, but have my surface visibility set for 48km and weather to refresh every 10 minutes or 100km.  I'm still seeing ever so slight weather changes with today's update (3.38.2) as I just completed a short flight.  It's less noticeable than the update a couple days ago so definite progress is being made.  As far as sudden wind shifts go, it's been several months since I've experienced any.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm hopeful the wind shifts are a thing of the past too but I've only done 2 flights this week w/ Opus. Both flights were fine in regards to wind shifts. But, more testing to do once my trial is over with the other engine.

That's good to hear you think there's progress on the cloud popping. I'll download 3.38.2(currently at 3.38.1) tomorrow and give it a shot.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

We found a problem with 3.38.2 beta regarding the wind targets so we will revert back to the old method for wind injection and after some further testing will post a new beta. We did make an improvment in getting rid of more cloud popping in beta 3.38.2 so we are encouraged by that.

See how you get on with the beta posted to day Kevin. If we do develop a new anti cloud popping measure in OpusFSI which compromises on weather accuracy then it will indeed be a user selectable option.

Cheryl

As OPUS has stated. They had things magically set with wind targets in version 3.37. Something got tweaked and 3.38up to .3 had been skewed. That has been fixed. And in a timely fashion at that. It was only EARLY this morning I reported it. You AREN'T going to get that type of service and response from AS. Most you'll get is a "we'll investigate" and then a few weeks or months down the road you'll get a patch or what not. OPUS does it within hours.

Have you ever wondered why users using AS aren't the ones having wind shift issues? And then OPUS comes along, introduces forecasted GRIB data, and the wind shifts galore start happening for almost all users. MY theory is that AS knew FSX had an internal weather bug with wind and decided to implement the "sim friendly" approach right from the get go and manipulate the data while still putting a face to realism on their product. IMO, it's only REAL if it isn't altered behind the scenes. Thankfully OPUS started with the brass tax approach and then gave us the option to choose how to better stabilize our sims if need be. You'd be hard pressed to deny that something was being done to AS data without being open about it, otherwise AS users would be getting shifts just like OPUS.

Try AS Next, way ahead of everything else at this time..

It's really that good

It's really that good

Tried it, got the weather totally wrong at cyhz, and the OVC had clear gaps, sorry sticking with opus, been blown away since day one, and its constantly getting better. Not to bash HIFI but after  buying all there WX engines, I feel that ASN should have been just a SP  to fix all the issues  with evolution, and 2012. But Im gald HIFI  and others are trying  to keep up with OPUS, competition is good and I as a consumer have no loyalties to a particular developer, I always go with the best and right now that is OPUS.

Cheryl, with all due respect that is just delusional.

Weather themes have been part of the SDK's for almost a decade now.

It's really that good

Behave yourself. Twice you have posted incorrect statements, and now you post this plug for a competitive product on an Opus forum.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Cheryl, with all due respect that is just delusional.

Weather themes have been part of the SDK's for almost a decade now.

Klaus Prichatz and many others developers were using them in FS9.

You referring to this post MD?

That this is misleading. Anyone care to look back and see the feature list from previous Active Sky products that this said product has "copied"? How about GRIB winds data (we've been using since 2006). How about historical weather? How about visual mapping? Just take a look at our products, we have been doing this for a very long time. We've done "weather theme" injection back as far as 2006 as well. In fact, it has been done in MANY products/add-ons, just do a quick search. It's also documented in the FSX/ESP SDK (SetModeTheme).

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If HIFI sim was using GRIB data since 2006 then why were there hardly any reports to users experiencing wind shifts? OPUS comes along and offers real upper wind data and users are having wind shift alley? Because they were probably altering the initial data to make it sim friendly compatible without letting the user know. THAT is misleading. Now if back in 2006, HIFI gave users the options that OPUS has which are to use un altered GRIB or altered GRIB to keep the sim happy then I can see how they were the ones using "REAL" data first. They may have offered the data first, but they chose to manipulate it without being forth right about it IMO.

If HIFI sim was using GRIB data since 2006 then why were there hardly any reports to users experiencing wind shifts? OPUS comes along and offers real upper wind data and users are having wind shift alley? Because they were probably altering the initial data to make it sim friendly compatible without letting the user know. THAT is misleading. Now if back in 2006, HIFI gave users the options that OPUS has which are to use un altered GRIB or altered GRIB to keep the sim happy then I can see how they were the ones using "REAL" data first. They may have offered the data first, but they chose to manipulate it without being forth right about it IMO.

But provided a better experience by doing so.

I am a current opus owner but not biased to either product. I will say this though, it DOESNT matter to me at all who came up with what first. I could care less. All I'm looking for is an immersive experience. Cloud popping and wind shifts completely detract from any kind of real good immersive experience, IMO. Opus still has this problem. PERIOD! ASN, whether they were first or 302nd in coming up with whatever formula they have right now, have completely taken care of all previously "unfixable" fsx weather bugs. They offer a "smooth" experience from departure to arrival. Something Opus now has to play catch up on.

My trial period is over with ASN. Now, I am giving opus a few more revisions to match what is being done by ASN. If they can't do it soon, I have to get out the credit card for a weather product that, at least in one week of demo time, offered me exactly what I'm looking for. The only reason I haven't jumped yet is I like Opus' DHM too. So I'm hoping Opus can match ASN soon so I can keep the best of both worlds. For now, the only way I can get Opus to come close to ASN weather wise is disable it immediately after its first update, then enable at TOC. Then disable again after TOD. Climb and descent are the most critical times to get right for me and that's the only way I can minimize Opus' shifts.

Anyway, I hope Opus can do it.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal