Sign in to follow this  
Mr767

Short & Sweet: The amazing tweaks that work!

Thanks Jim for the speedy reply, will try that out (hopefully tonight).  You also mention " have pinned a topic regarding 3 monitor setups"  been in the monitor section and can't find any pinned topics, any chance of a link as I am interested in that too.

( I have been runing fsx  ok recently so not going to mess with it too much , finally enjoying actually flying !)

Thanks  again for your help

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

LOD 7.5..... Stay away from payware planes and scenery!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Usepools = 0 I agree

Himemfix = 1 I use and I've never had any issues with it

I've tried a couple of external framerate limiters and found the one in FSX works just as well for me (set at 30, though I have experimented with different values).

LOD-radius I find 6.5 OK in most cases but for my UK photoscenery, I need to use 8.5 otherwise it looks horrible.

For smoothness, I would suggest setting the correct value for affinity mask.  14 (for quad core machines) allows the o/s to use core 0 and made a considerable improvement to smoothness in FSX on my system.

I also use the stick sensitivity=0 tweak and have found it better on my old fs9 machines and two fsx machines.  I've been able to set my controllers far better with this one (though not a performance tweak as such).

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Since I have I think a pretty good system what does increasing the LOD do? Should I have it set higher than 4.5? 

Since I have I think a pretty good system what does increasing the LOD do? Should I have it set higher than 4.5? 

It increases the Level of Detail, it has, perhaps, the biggest impact on VAS usage.  You can set it higher, but it would be the first thing to push back if you start getting OOM errors.  

You'll probably get away with a higher number if you are using the default scenery and / or default aircraft.  You'll be pushing your luck with the NGX etc.

Ian R Tyldesley

Very much disagree with your Point (3).

The internal FSX limiter is broken and you will almost always get better results using Unlimited in FSX, and then setting a frame limit of 30 in nVidia Inspector, or CCC (for ATI users).

The FSX Limiter is not efficient and seems to involve a large processing overhead to limit frames, so not using it, hands that processing power back.    Limiting frames at driver level tends to be much more efficient.

Agreed.

FSX=unlimited fps and in NI=30 fps

Only HIGHMEMFIX=1 added to cfg file.

You also mention " have pinned a topic regarding 3 monitor setups" been in the monitor section and can't find any pinned topics, any chance of a link as I am interested in that too.

Sorry about that. One of the mods must have unpinned it. I put it back.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

LOD: one size does not fit all.

For example, yes keep at 6.5 or below if using mid to high AG settings and use decently dense scenery add-ons like ORBX etc,

On the other hand if you use large high res photo-sceneries, with-out AG (as usually the case) you can safely use higher LOD's of 7, 8, 9.5 however start using it with a few really high res airports and or city paks...back to OOM U Go.

The bufferpool tweak does not work on all systems. An older system, yes, this is great. But for the newer i7's please stay away from it. I've had my LOD_Radius up to 9.5 (like Word Not Allowed and others) and it worked great for a while and I thought it was a nice tweak but suddenly got unexplained OOM's and reducing it to 6.5 works great for me. If you have a fast system (and we do not know), then try to stay away from tweaks. The only tweaks I employ are the LOD 6.5 and the Texture_Max_Load=2048 (4096 can make things in regards to fps a little scary and really takes away the fun factor of fsx/p3dv2). A triple monitor situation is much different. Blurry textures are caused by your system not being fast enough to render the textures fast enough. High settings will cause this (in the fsx.cfg and display driver). High settings do not always indicate you are going to have the "oh-my-gosh" eye-candy. In the monitor forum I have pinned a topic regarding 3 monitor setups plus there are some experts down there who know what's the best setup as many have done gone through it themselves. Next month or early next year, new monitors are going to be released that will totally eliminate stuttering and the blurries. The monitors or technology will only work with graphics cards like mine (GTX780). So I have been holding my breath for January to arrive. Best regards,

The highmemfix=1 is not a tweak. It is an actual fix that the developers forgot to include in Acceleration/SP2.

Best regards,

Thank you very much for the pinned topic on 3 monitor setups. Looking forward to read that one! 

I am very impressed with the moderation of this forum - fs or not - you simply get it right. As I now have dusted off fsx - and with good reason - I hope to become a positive contributor to you great forum. 

I am very impressed with the moderation of this forum - fs or not - you simply get it right. As I now have dusted off fsx - and with good reason - I hope to become a positive contributor to you great forum.

Thank you for your positive comments. We hope you enjoy your visits to our forums. I am especially happy to hear you want to become a "positive contributor" here. A lot of people get a negative attitude (including me once in a while) and that's something we need to prevent. Welcome to the AVSIM Forums!

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10