Sign in to follow this  
craigt47

Js41 - GPU and Push Back

Hi PMDG,

I am 200% sure that there are more pressing Projects that you are working on. However, would you ever deliver a SP2 for the truly delightful JS41? It is one if the most fun aircrafts I have purchased and is just a joy to fly.

For example , cutting out the electrics on p/s with out engines being on?

owever, would you ever deliver a SP2 for the truly delightful JS41?

That was asked a few years back. I don't think there was enough sales to justify the expense of a service pack.

For example , cutting out the electrics on p/s with out engines being on?

I think the electrical components not connected to the battery/essential bus will lose power on pushback.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

cutting out the electrics on p/s with out engines being on?

I believe that's as per the real aircraft; you can avoid the problem by starting engine one and ensuring it's on the bus before disconnecting the GPU and starting engine 2.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Can you push back with one engine? Is this permitted?

No.

Have a look here:

Luis,

This has come up before. The J-41 can actually turn very well in the real world, so it doesn't need to be pushed back from the gate. They just start their engines and pull out of the gate on their own power. Additionally, they weren't parked in any normal way. Here's an old picture from the J-41 gates for ACA at IAD:

IADAGates.JPG

You can see all of the odd taxi lines to bring them in to the gates. After boarding, they'd just start, turn right and taxi on out (under a marhsaller's guidance, of course).

So, in your case, use the GPU to get everything ready. Start the left engine (the GPU is behind the right engine in the sim), transfer the power to the left GEN, disconnect the GPU, and start the right engine. Turn on that GEN after the engine is stable. Take off the start locks and taxi away.

Kyle Rodgers

You could pushback with one or both engines running (the placard in the virtual cockpit of the PMDG J41 only applies to aircraft over 12,000 cycles that don't have new shock strut brackets fitted as per AD G-004-05-99, here's a link to the FAA equivalent AD 2000-02-21).

You can also powerback, although most operators discourage this as it is possible to tip the aircraft on to its tail when braking, and in FSX it's unreliable and can cook the engines.

As Kyle has said above, it is popular to park it at an angle, so when the engines are started it can turn around within the parking space to exit it. In the J41s hayday, such markings were painted on the its aprons as shown in the above picture.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It may not be very realistic, but I just start both engines with the GPU hooked up.  It saves a lot of heartache.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

You could pushback with one or both engines running (the placard in the virtual cockpit of the PMDG J41 only applies to aircraft over 12,000 cycles that don't have new shock strut brackets fitted as per AD G-004-05-99, here's a link to the FAA equivalent AD 2000-02-21).

You can also powerback, although most operators discourage this as it is possible to tip the aircraft on to its tail when braking, and in FSX it's unreliable and can cook the engines.

As Kyle has said above, it is popular to park it at an angle, so when the engines are started it can turn around within the parking space to exit it. In the J41s hayday, such markings were painted on the its aprons as shown in the above picture.

Very interesting and informative, thank you!

It may not be very realistic, but I just start both engines with the GPU hooked up.  It saves a lot of heartache.

It's very realistic actually...well a derivative of what you said:

Start engine 1 (the non-GPU side)

Put the aircraft on the ENG 1 GEN

Deselect the GPU

Remove the GPU

Get the all clear from the ground crew

Start engine 2

It's how UAX (Colgan, though I'm sure Silver follows the same practice) had us start the SAABs, too.  Their start procedure was 2, pull, 1, though.

Kyle Rodgers

No power from the gpu on the J1400 I press shift+2 and bring up the power cart etc. and click on to go green but I still do not get power when I rotate  the overhead panel to bat\grn,

what am I missing ?

And you have selected ground power to on or assist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So connect the GPU from the ramp manager. Switch bat 1 and 2 on, move the ground power switch to ground power. Move the voltage switch to check ground power is supplied around 25v and turn on the avionics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk