Sign in to follow this  
N1G

new v-card - shader folders

Hi,

I am going to install a new video card and I remembered someone stating that you needed to blow away some shader folders.

Doe anyone know the validity of this, and if so, are the folderslocated in the main installation folder for p3d or in the appdata folders?

Also, do I delete just the contents of these folder(s)?

I remember fsx had a shader entry in the cfg and you could just change the value and it would rebuild the shader cache, but I saw no similar

entry in the p3d cfg.

Thanks

Biob

Hi,

this is the entry, you are looking for.

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

According to LM, it works as in the past.

Bruno

Never quite understood that. According to the documentation, that will only clear the shader when making a .cfg change? i suppose installing a different VC will make a change to the cfg but I would want to be darned sure.

Hi,

this is the entry, you are looking for.

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

According to LM, it works as in the past.

Bruno

And how, Bruno, exactly was that?

Could you please detail what we need to do?

I just bought a new graphics card and installed it and didn't change anything... maybe I need to???

Please advise

Thanks!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Chas 99% of the time you will be fine if you don't clear it. Reckons its just a precautionary thing. Plus, rebooting clears the cache ...I believe I read that somewhere.

This is not about "cache" anything at all. Shaders are compiled for a specific video card. Whenever you change video cards, the shaders must be compiled for the new card.

You need to delete the files in this folder and allow P3Dv2 to compile new shader files the next time it is run:

x:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi all,

OK, removed shader files and p3d did rebuild. All is well. Thanks to all for the input.

Fr. Bill, can we pin this as a tip?

Regads

Bob

Hi all,

OK, removed shader files and p3d did rebuild. All is well. Thanks to all for the input.

Fr. Bill, can we pin this as a tip?

Regads

Bob

Bob, it would just get lost in this forum. I've posted a recap in the P3D Tips and Tricks forum:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428784-new-video-card-requires-new-shaders/

Fr. Bill    

Hi Chas,

I would like to forward two LM statements on the shader issue, despite both are not completely clear to me.

In the Learning Center - Tuning Guide, you will find:

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
Using this rebuilds your shader cache by incrementing the number each time you make a change to the Prepar3D.cfg.

I need to be honest, I have not detected so far, which files are being rebuilt by that entry.

FAQ's by Beau Hollis in the Forum:

I just bought a new video card, but my performance is still the same, what gives?
Your shaders (think rendering code your graphics card uses) is compiled upon first load, or the first time you do something in Prepar3D v2. That's why you can see hiccups the first time you do something, but they then go away. Because the shaders are compiled now. If you change your graphics card, you still have your old shaders for your old graphics card. Go delete your Shaders folder in "%programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" and then start Prepar3D back up and let your shaders get recompiled for your new card. That should certainly help.

Checking the path: "%programdata%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2",  I do not find any folder that is named "shaders" or similar.  The question is, which folder (files) to delete ? I do not know.

Regards

Bruno

That's not where they are! That's why you can't find them... :wacko:

x:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Fr. Bill    

I have already applied your advise (delete shaders) succesfully; thank you.

Bruno

I have already applied your advise (delete shaders) succesfully; thank you.

Bruno

It was on top of my mind since I just had to do precisely the same thing this morning. In my haste yesterday I was so amazed at the HUGE performance increase of my shiny new GTX770 4GB Superclocked card, that it wasn't until this morning while sipping my coffee that I remembered that I had completely forgotten to delete my "old" shaders!

I also found that I had to delete my "old" Prepar3D.cfg file as well, so that I would get rid of the "old" video card's references (GTX550Ti 1GB)... :Whistle:

Fr. Bill    

It was on top of my mind since I just had to do precisely the same thing this morning. In my haste yesterday I was so amazed at the HUGE performance increase of my shiny new GTX770 4GB Superclocked card, that it wasn't until this morning while sipping my coffee that I remembered that I had completely forgotten to delete my "old" shaders!

I also found that I had to delete my "old" p3d.cfg file as well, so that I would get rid of the "old" video card's references (GTX550Ti 1GB)... :Whistle:

Wow, you must have really seen an improvement from that 550. I went from a 570 (1.2gb) to a 760 and it was a really nice upgrade.

Bob