Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Can we get the Voting icon names back?

When I vote a simple 'Like' to a post it's now "You Nailed That Bucko" like this is 'Happy Days'.

If something is informative it's saying, "If that was anymore informative, you'd be a POH".

A once very useful feature has become a joke thanks to those who've chosen to get too hot in the head about it. I like the feature but some form of sanity has to be in place as to the meaning of one's vote. It was nice the way it was to mark , "Like", "Agree", and "Useful" to a post. Some disagreed with a post and instead of a yelling match voted and moved on.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

A once very useful feature has become a joke thanks to those who've chosen to get too hot in the head about it. I like the feature but some form of sanity has to be in place as to the meaning of one's vote. It was nice the way it was to mark , "Like", "Agree", and "Useful" to a post. Some disagreed with a post and instead of a yelling match voted and moved on.

I am tired of the whole subject, and yes, because of skin surface sensibilities, it is now a joke. I will be removing it entirely and we'll stay way from any future rating system or such.

A once very useful feature has become a joke

+1 Agree

+1 Like

I'd expand on that but it wouldn't be very pretty.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yeah what happened, I kind of liked those, except someone gave me a "dumb" vote once. That was rude. :lol:

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

except someone gave me a "dumb" vote once

You're welcome.  :D

Edit:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it wasn't so much that the post itself was dumb, but that it was out of place/off topic.  It was intended that you think about why someone might downgrade the post.  If the only thing you could think of was that it was rude, then the system fails pretty horribly.

Seems like the Sims 2 forum people were smarter than the current crop of flight simmers.  Who would have thought?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I was never sure what was wrong with the old simple upvotes ( no down vote) system that seemed to be working fine for so long......

Would it have been possible to simply "opt out" of the visible voting system?

It just rankles slightly to think that of all the forums using it successfully, somehow we couldn't handle it. Are we really that bad?

I just don't want a useful feature gone for everyone because a few people aren't housebroken. I liked being able to quickly and easily mark people up for being helpful!!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Darn! Here I was coming up with some cute aviation themed mini-icons that could have been used...

Ah well, it seems the drama queens have won this round... :Just Kidding:

Edit: why don't we have a <ducking a flying brick smilie> :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Gosh .... political correctness knows no bounds. Sad to see the rating system go to be honest, because reading between the likes and dislikes, it certainly gave an indication of the community sense of direction (or lack thereof at times) .....  :LMAO:

Darn! Here I was coming up with some cute aviation themed mini-icons that could have been used...

Ah well, it seems the drama queens have won this sound... :Just Kidding:

Edit: why don't we have a <ducking a flying brick smilie> :LMAO:

The drama queen surely did win this one... 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The drama queen surly did win this one... 

Heres an example of why I hate its gone. 

When Nelson Mandella died, I was pretty bummed. And when I saw a thread here on it, I really really wanted to add some words, but couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't trite, or that didn't sound like just another meaningless platitude..

I circled around the thread, feeling unsatisfied..... And a few days later Tom spoke up, and added a perfect and heartfelt end to the thread. But I still wanted to contribute, and still had no words....

In the end, a simple "I agree" was enough. It was fitting, and didn't sully the thread with unnecessary verbiage. It was a quiet use of the tool in a fitting way to support what was said, and it made me feel very good. Now that tool is gone for all of us because a very few out of the thousands and thousands of people who come here can't behave themselves.

Its not fair. But that's just me, and I have nothing more to say.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

:blink: :lol: :unknw: Great thread. Lots of grown ups discussing weighty matters. :rolleyes:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

I am tired of the whole subject, and yes, because of skin surface sensibilities, it is now a joke. I will be removing it entirely and we'll stay way from any future rating system or such.

With all due respect, I greatly enjoyed the voting system. The only issue that I (and others) have had was the relatively 'silly' naming strings for each button. Besides that, I thought it was a great implementation that the community thoroughly enjoying.

I think entirely removing it might be a bit much?  :blink:

I liked being able to quickly and easily mark people up for being helpful!!

Exactly! Instead of sifting through endless posts, I would occasional scroll and the upvotes/downvotes would catch my eye which in turn would prompt me to read the post. 

With all due respect, I greatly enjoyed the voting system. The only issue that I (and others) have had was the relatively 'silly' naming strings for each button. Besides that, I thought it was a great implementation that the community thoroughly enjoying.

I think entirely removing it might be a bit much?  :blink:

Exactly! Instead of sifting through endless posts, I would occasional scroll and the upvotes/downvotes would catch my eye which in turn would prompt me to read the post. 

+1 AGREE

+1 LIKE