Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Kinda like X-Plane

I've been a devoted FSX user for some time. I have it running really smoothly, and I have my routine down. Weather looks great; MSE makes it almost like real.

But, you know, I've been playing around with X-Plane 10 the last few day, and I have to admit ---(looking left, then right; voice down to a whisper) I'm kinda getting to like it.

Don't know if it's the fluid animation I get or how gorgeous it looks at night, but there's just something about it that makes me think to give it a chance. I've started loading up on sceneryware and stuff, and bought an ERJ-140.

Nothing earth-shaking with this post.

Just had to tell someone.

Your secret is safe here.  hehe.

I am a user of P3d, FSX, and XPX.  There are things that xpx has that the other two just don't have and there are some things that xpx just does not have, but.....  that is ok.  It is really nice to have a bit of variety in simulation platforms.  Keeps things a bit fresh for a simmer.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Yeah, I think the big draw is that it is something new. Totally different from FSX. Figuring out scenery stuff, planes, etc. Seeing how real I can make it, these are the things that Im having fun with. "FIguring it out"

:ph34r: ... Yeah, we should start a FAQ ... how to enjoy flight sim polygamy without tarnishing your reputation :lol:.

I don't even remember how many sims are on my system right now........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As much as I like XP10 the way it is now, I am also really enjoying the ultimate install of FSX I ever had, thx to the DX10 fixer. It's a trully unique experience for any FSX user, graphics and smooth-wise.

I have also bought P3Dv2 professional, n«monthly subscription, and installed / uninstalled it, not because I didn't like what I saw ( I actually see a bright future there too... ) but because I prefer to wait for the 1st service release to solve some annoying quirks...

I am also about to be able to get my hands on yet another sim - IL2 Sturmovik BOS, and look forward for the announcement of Aerofly FS v2.

Then, I am anxiously awaiting what will, most certainly and again become the best Boeing 744 simulation available for a PC - Aerowinx PSX!

I finally learned, the hard ( disk ) way, I should say, ow stupid I was obliterating so many chances of getting true joy and good emotions from using each platform to get the best it has to offer.

So far nor FSX nor XP10 can cover all of the features the orther has - no way! In X-plane I enjoy flying the NEO A320, the Carenados for small GA flights, the LES dc-3 and MU2, but I have at the same time models for FSX that easily excel in terms of complexity and detail / functionality.  Then I use X-plane for some helicopter flying, or even for ridge soaring with the default AS-K21 because it does a remarkable job in this areas, but in FSX I have ASN and the Aerosoft Discus X!, and lot's of functionalities not available ( yet ) in XP10... 

I like to see the AI traffic and even use the default buggy ATC in FSX, because limited as it can be, it is certainly way better than what I could have in XP10 ( I have disabled AI totally in XP10 and do not use that "you're out of course..." irritating and bug full ATC simulation... )

There simply is no reason for me o abandon, again, one in favor of the other, although I confess I would like to be able to use a single platform!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Starting to like X-Plane too. I'm not new to X-Plane – I owned version 7 and 9, and have had version 10 since it came out. However it was always too frustrating and annoying, causing me to run out of patience before giving it an honest chance.

The HD Mesh V2 and recent texture and autogen additions make a big difference for VFR flying. Cities actually look like cities now, instead of being surrounded by a sea of green grass. The treelines and farms addon makes all the difference when flying over rural areas which were previously flat and boring. IMO, you don't even need UrbanMaxx now, unless you have an older system and need to turn down object/road density (in which case it's a very useful addon). I haven't jumped on the SkyMaxx bandwagon yet, but found some nice freeware clouds and skycolors.

The freeware community seems to be more active than for FSX/P3D. You'll still want a few payware aircraft, but you can pretty much get away with freeware scenery and utilities. Compatibility is an issue though, when compared to "pre-packaged" scenery such as OrbX. I've already learnt how to make some adjustment in the World Editor.

There are still some serious issues, though.

-ATC is not very good. I prefer to fly alone and just ignore it.

-AI traffic is poor as well. I miss the busy patterns around small GA airports

-The developer recently added what looks like Soviet-era concrete apartment blocks of about 25 stories. Variety is good, but they show up everywhere, even in small towns. The improved landclass with the HD mesh reduces them a bit, but it's still a major annoyance.

-The developers don't seem to listen to user or add-on developer feedback. Sometimes things are changed for the sake of change, breaking compatibility with add-ons. I think this is a big reason why so few developers have jumped on X-Plane. Having to re-visit your entire catalog every 6 months to maintain compatibility takes away time better spent developing new add-ons.

-Torque is modeled poorly in propeller aircraft. This seems to be an ongoing problem, even though add-on developers and users have constantly brought it to attention. Carenado have actually found a workaround that involves using an undocumented piece of code that dates back to X-Plane 7 and could be pruned from the sim at any time. Other workarounds include (virtually) shifting the entire engine to the side in Plane Maker or applying fixed amounts of aileron trim. This makes the aircraft highly unpredictable though, as the amount of roll varies wildly with power and speed.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

-The developers don't seem to listen to user or add-on developer feedback. Sometimes things are changed for the sake of change, breaking compatibility with add-ons. I think this is a big reason why so few developers have jumped on X-Plane. Having to re-visit your entire catalog every 6 months to maintain compatibility takes away time better spent developing new add-ons.

This is only apparent. If you read Ben Supnik blog, it's evident that retro-compatibility (for aicrafts, sceneries, etc.) is a priority whenever possible. The recent move to 64 bits of course broke a lot of compatibility, but it was a necessary move.

Flight model is the only critical feature, with regard to compatibility. Of course, if the core flight model is modified/improved, it's hard not to effect previous add-ons aircrafts.

Also, again reading Ben Supnik blog, it's evident they're very aware of what user feedback/requests are. See e.g. the recent work made on the improvement of urban textures. They try to do their best with the resources they have. And yes, it would be great if they decide/will be able too increase their development resources in the near future. :smile:

-Torque is modeled poorly in propeller aircraft. This seems to be an ongoing problem, even though add-on developers and users have constantly brought it to attention. Carenado have actually found a workaround that involves using an undocumented piece of code that dates back to X-Plane 7 and could be pruned from the sim at any time. Other workarounds include (virtually) shifting the entire engine to the side in Plane Maker or applying fixed amounts of aileron trim. This makes the aircraft highly unpredictable though, as the amount of roll varies wildly with power and speed.

This has been recently fully acknowledged by Austin (the main developer). He's working on it, so hopefully we'll se improvements relatively soon.

However, as of now, it can be worked around using artificial stability as a "trick".

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I've been a devoted FSX user for some time. I have it running really smoothly, and I have my routine down. Weather looks great; MSE makes it almost like real.

But, you know, I've been playing around with X-Plane 10 the last few day, and I have to admit ---(looking left, then right; voice down to a whisper) I'm kinda getting to like it.

Don't know if it's the fluid animation I get or how gorgeous it looks at night, but there's just something about it that makes me think to give it a chance. I've started loading up on sceneryware and stuff, and bought an ERJ-140.

Nothing earth-shaking with this post.

Just had to tell someone.

That's just about how it started for me to. It kinda grew on me. All of the sudden I've bought the crj 200. And the rest is history. I was an FSX guy (although I was never zealous about it). Now xpx is my primary sim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I'm in a constant ping-pong between the two :-)  but finally settled for a use of both, 50 / 50 ...

I can't let go of the pleasure of finally flying in realistic weather in FSX thanks to ASN, using FSX in DX10 mode thanks to the DX10 fixer, and using the best aircraft I have for that platform.

I use XP10 for GA mostly, but have been actively using the NEO A320 too. Looking forward for the iXEG and for the first PMDG. In my wannabuy, in the very 1st place, is the Saab 340 now, although I am waiting for the 1st service pack...

I finally understood I could not move from one to the other... Impossible... both are too good to be trashed !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...